White's Boots Dri-Foot Outdoorsman

Clarktar

WKR
To those interested in these boots, my long term review is up on the website:

Review: White's Dri-Foot Outdoorsman Boots - Rokslide

And there is another discussion thread here:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/foot...oot-outdoorsman-boot-review-matt-cashell.html

A great pair of traditional mountain hunting boots.

I will echo Matts sentiments, these have been great boots. A few differences in my experience with them are noted below.

1) I did not get much if any heel slip. I did get a small hotspot on top of my foot, right at the point where the foot can pivot up and down. I think this is from some extreme angles of my foot relative to my leg and the fact that the leather boot would flex at these angles and kinda of pinch that spot. Only happened twice, and it was on two different trips but going up the same steep chute.

2) I did find these boots would flex much more than a traditional mountaineering boot (which they should, by design) and this would relate to less than stable grip on steep rock when only a small portion of the outer edge of the sole would be in contact with the rock. THese are not as stiff as mountaineering boots, and I need to take that into account when deciding on an approach and foot placement in technical situations.

3) My boots are heavier than Matts, but mine are a few sizes larger.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
1) I did not get much if any heel slip. I did get a small hotspot on top of my foot, right at the point where the foot can pivot up and down. I think this is from some extreme angles of my foot relative to my leg and the fact that the leather boot would flex at these angles and kinda of pinch that spot. Only happened twice, and it was on two different trips but going up the same steep chute.

I got zero heel slip once broken in. I didn't have any trouble on top of the foot with the outdoorsmans, but I remember almost the identical issue when my Smokejumpers were new. Some firefighters referred to it as "White-Bite."

2) I did find these boots would flex much more than a traditional mountaineering boot (which they should, by design) and this would relate to less than stable grip on steep rock when only a small portion of the outer edge of the sole would be in contact with the rock. THese are not as stiff as mountaineering boots, and I need to take that into account when deciding on an approach and foot placement in technical situations.

I don't really think we have a difference here, as my review stated:

"The boot maintains firm support with the tall upper, while keeping ankle flexibility. The feel is sturdier than a hiker, but much more forgiving than a mountaineering boot."

I didn't have much trouble getting traction on rocky steep slopes, but they definitely aren't a mountaineering boot. For all-around hunting use I much prefer the Outdoorsmans to any stiff mountaineering boot, even if some off-camber rocky slopes are on the menu.

Clarktar

WKR
I don't really think we have a difference here, as my review stated:

"The boot maintains firm support with the tall upper, while keeping ankle flexibility. The feel is sturdier than a hiker, but much more forgiving than a mountaineering boot."

Likely not a difference. I guess I was just trying to be specific in regards to how I felt the performance compared to mountaineering boots was different when used in the way I described. I was not sure exactly if the statement "much more forgiving than a mountaineering boot " was referring to comfort or some other characteristic.

I didn't have much trouble getting traction on rocky steep slopes, but they definitely aren't a mountaineering boot. For all-around hunting use I much prefer the Outdoorsmans to any stiff mountaineering boot, even if some off-camber rocky slopes are on the menu.

In my opinion for all around hunting and even hunts were some aspects could be considered border line mountaineering (technical scrambling etc) these boots are a great choice and I prefer them over all others I have tried.

Question: How would you compare the breathability and it's affects on foot perspiration between the Outdoorsman, an all leather boot like the Smokejumpers and a modern Gore-Tex boot like a Crispi Idaho?

Clarktar

WKR
I do not have any experience in an all leather boot like the Smoke Jumpers. I am sure Matt will chime in though as he does.

I have been using the Lowa Tech Lite Hunters since Lathrop and Sons started selling them. I have used both the Lowas and the Whites in summer and winter conditions (backpacking hunts). I would say I had really no noticeable difference in foot perspiration between the two. I wear thin liner socks and some Darn Tough socks over those and that really seems to help move moisture away from my feet and I don't end up with any "wetness" or sweaty feet.

BUT! I do recall thinking my foot did not feel as warm in the whites as it did in the Lowas (maybe this is due to the insole differences in the boots. I was using synergy footbeds in Lowas, and the stock piece of leather in the Whites). Other than just a perceived temperature difference, there was no other indication of this (e.g., more perspiration in one boot than the other).

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My feet sweat in warm weather in any waterproof boot. The only footwear I’ve used that was noticeably better in breathability are non-waterproof, non-leather, fabric boots/hiking shoes.

idcuda

WKR
I did get a small hotspot on top of my foot, right at the point where the foot can pivot up and down. I think this is from some extreme angles of my foot relative to my leg and the fact that the leather boot would flex at these angles and kinda of pinch that spot.

I had that on my White's smokejumpers; the guy that sold them to me (at D&B Supply) told me it's called the "White's bite". In my case it was only on one boot, and it was solved by swapping one set of hooks with eyelets...kinda strange, but it worked. Got some relief prior to that with an alternate lacing technique. Love those boots and I'll eventually try the Dri-Foot Outdoorsmans.

Kstitz

FNG
I have had the White's Outdoorsman boots in insulated & non insulated for 5 years and they are the best boots I have ever owned. They have held up to chukar hunting in Hells Canyon. For me there was no break in period necessary, they were comfortable right out of the box. They are the only boots that have never given me a blister. I am not a fan of mountaineering boots that greatly restrict your movement.

I have been wearing White’s boots for almost 30 years. I currently have ten pairs of them in many different styles. I bought my Outdoorsman boots five years ago, and they are my go-to hiking and hunting boots. My feet haven’t been wet yet from walking through creeks and hunting in the rain and snow. I’d highly recommend them to anyone.