White's Boots Dri-Foot Outdoorsman

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
With the frequent talk on Rokslide about finding good boots for the backcountry, several themes keep reappearing:

1. Durable boots aren't that comfortable.
2. Comfortable boots aren't that durable.

I have noticed much the same. I think back on the thousands of greenbacks that have gone out the door to boot retailers, and figure there has got to be a better way.

Right now, my go-to boot for most of the year is the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. This boot fits my narrow heel/ wide forefoot feet, and saves me from blisters right out of the box. It performs great in the woods with awesome traction under most conditions. The problems?

1. Eventually they leak.
2. They wear out in about a year and a half, and I have to buy another pair.

For the snowy parts of the year, I go to my Danner Canadians. This is a leather, insulated, stitch-down boot. They are comfortable after break in, and have a bob outsole that does well in the snow. I have found them to be more durable than the Salomons, but the leather isn't top quality, and the soles seem to wear or separate earlier than I like. They have held up well over the last 4 years, but I only use them when the snow gets deep.

I got to thinking about boots I have had that were both comfortable and durable. In fact, I DO have boots like that. In the late 90's I started fighting fire, and purchased some White's Smokejumpers. These are custom all-leather boots designed for heavy duty. Heavy duty is what I got out of them too. I have gone 1000s of miles in them. They have been pushed through mud, ash, water, snow, and horseapples. I keep them cleaned and oiled, and they just keep taking more abuse. Break in took some work, but once the leather formed to my feet, they have been like slippers. To this day, I can slip into them without the thought of foot pain. If they weren't a little clunky in the woods for hunting, I might just run them all the time.

Additionally, I have some Hathorn Packers, also made by Whites. Same story, after a determined break in, they have been like slippers ever since.

So I checked out Whites' website for a boot that might work for general hunting duty, and be both comfortable and durable. What I found was the Dri-Foot Outdoorsman. It has a waterproof/breathable barrier, stitchdown construction, and choice of soles. It seems to have the features that I like out of the Canadian, but with the quality leathers and break-in fit of the White's I have.

I contacted Whites Boots in Spokane, and will be getting the Outdoorsmans for review. I will keep Roksliders updated on this thread with the progress.

Stay tuned!

Clarktar

WKR
Timely thread. I have been contemplating the sportsman and the waterproof for a few months now. Got my foot measured etc.... And just debating. Never seen the outdoorsman but it looks like another solid option.

I had a pair of Vibergs for about 7 years until they got snatched from the can of my truck! They were great. But want to try some whites this time around.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My wife helped measure my feet according to White's tracing kit. It was pretty involved, actually, with measurements around the arch and several spots up from the ankle to the calf. I sent the measuring kit/ order form off to Spokane.

PJG

WKR
Just sent in an order sheet for a pair of Classic Work Boots. This will be my third pair. I've got one pair that's going on 22 years old and one rebuild and multiple re-soles. Will look forward to your review.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging in. What is a ball park price range on a pair of these, their web site says to contact them for pricing?

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
at one time I had 5 pairs of White's boots sitting in the closet, I too was a firefighter and worked in an area that had significant "urban interface" areas that ranged from gentlemen's farms to coast range type terrain, we didn't have to get deeply into wildland fires often but when we did the smoke jumpers paid for themselves many times over - In those times I also worked Oregon's Snake River unit for an outfitter/friend as a wrangler and "sometimes guide" during hunting seasons, right away noticed the boss wearing White's lace up packers and had to have a pair which turned in 3 then 4 pairs - Not Hathorns but the "made to your foot" version, so comfortable I found myself wearing them to hunt in fair weather - I went up to Spokane and had them fit me, I also had pairs of the White's Pacs that I wore a lot also - Expensive ? yes Great fit ? YES durable ? YES ! (aside from the pacs) waterproof ? NO - that was back when my size was 9 1/2W - The waterproof leather boots came along as I was transitioning away from that particular lifestyle so I never tried them out but White's boots are the "shit" if you choose to pay the price and the CS, at least when I used them, was outstanding - I was told that Danner just bought White's but at least for now they're gonna leave them to do what they've always done .... just have to see about that I guess

Dynamite boots for sure. They break you in you dont break them in!! Danner's parent company laCrosse did in fact buy them. Hopefully standards remain the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
Dynamite boots for sure. They break you in you dont break them in!! Danner's parent company laCrosse did in fact buy them. Hopefully standards remain the same

Yes, that's what I meant to say - I do hope they leave White's to "do their thing" because they have done it well for a long time

Ty619

FNG
I'm all over this.. I'm a huge fan of whites. I worked on a hotshot crew for a day or two and 20 years after original purchase, 5 rebuilds and 7-8 resoles, I still hike my ass off with those elk tan rough outs. Best boot ever IMO. Literally 1,000's of miles on them without one glitch. I'd hunt with them but, they offer zero insulation. Matt, your a good man... whites.com here I come...

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd hunt with them but, they offer zero insulation.

The dri-foot outdoorsman is available in an insulated version.

They also offer an insulated boot similar to the smokejumper called the hunter.

PJG

WKR
Pretty happy how these turned out. Was quoted 5-6 weeks, showed up in 3.

28b3429ed0184de9490a5a47dd8ec0b5.jpg

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Those look awesome, PJG!

They began work on my boots this week, and should be a couple more weeks before I receive them.

Matt,

I have been playing with the idea of ordering some Whites for the last year. I ordered a catalog/order sheet from them last year and have been trying to decide whether to give some off the shelf brands one last shot or just cough up the money for come custom Whites. Make no mistake, I will need custom boots so the cost for me will be significantly more ($650ish last I heard). The order sheet has the rough outline of a foot and my foot is at least an inch wider as I wear 6E width boots/shoes when I can find them.

I am very interested to know which model you find most comfortable and best for our purposes. I worry about the Dri-Foot because my feet sweat quite a bit and some waterproof boots I have had in the past didn't breath very well and held the sweat in on top of that so it was worse than had I just worn regular boots and walked through the stream. I am also worried about the weight and weather the shank is stiff enough for the steep country here in CO. I also worry that with a lack of modern materials, the weight and breathability will be poor.

IdahoElk

WKR
Those look great,can't wait to hear your feedback,too bad they weren't a little shorter in height.

bhylton

WKR
probably could get them shorter... you can get most anything on custom orders i think

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
eb424fe103c3d29ca10afaacffa70892.jpg

Love my lace to toe smoke jumpers! Have you tried these out yet in the field? Are they lighter than the smoke jumpers? And do you think they will be as clumsy (for lack of a better word) in the woods?

Love my lace to toe smoke jumpers! Have you tried these out yet in the field? Are they lighter than the smoke jumpers? And do you think they will be as clumsy (for lack of a better word) in the woods?

How do smokejumpers perform on steep hills and rocks? I had foot surgery a few years ago and rocky trails bother me. On top of that I have chronically tight calves; I worry that the boot may not be stiff enough to provide the support I want to help take strain off my calves and feet on the uphill like some of the higher tech hunting and mountaineering boots.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
How do smokejumpers perform on steep hills and rocks? I had foot surgery a few years ago and rocky trails bother me. On top of that I have chronically tight calves; I worry that the boot may not be stiff enough to provide the support I want to help take strain off my calves and feet on the uphill like some of the higher tech hunting and mountaineering boots.

I work for the railroad and walk on ballast all day everyday I feel they preform very well on rock and uneven surfaces, I have worn them in the woods a few times but mine are steel toed and extra heavy/bulky. I know loggers here in the Pacific Northwest that wear them corked and have no issues running up and down hills with them. I think they will be stiffer than you think.