Salomon hiking shoes/boots

I've heard of people using Salomon as hunting boots but I was just curious if anyone here has used them and if so what model and how did they hold up?

I have a pair of three year old 4d's that everyone loves so much and in my opinion they're more of a high top sneaker than a boot. I'm amazed at how well they've held up, but you couldn't give me another pair of them. Just not for me.

I run 4d2's and lowa tibets. Each has it intended use. THE salomon fit similar on my feet to the tibets.from a price standpoint the lowa are a hell of a lot more boot for the money. Both great boots.

wyosteve

WKR
As the saying goes--'to each their own'. The Salomon 4D's have become my 'go to' boot. Wear them for general daily use and elk hunting. Also used them sheep hunting 2 yrs. ago. They have held up well, give me good support and have replaced my Meindl and Crispis.

Jvco

FNG
I run 4d2's and lowa tibets. Each has it intended use. THE salomon fit similar on my feet to the tibets.from a price standpoint the lowa are a hell of a lot more boot for the money. Both great boots.

Normal pricing the Lowa is ~$150 more than the Quest 4D but I ordered a pair (Quest) off amazon yesterday for $150, I think that's pretty tough to beat assuming they're a good fit for your feet.

Normal pricing the Lowa is ~$150 more than the Quest 4D but I ordered a pair (Quest) off amazon yesterday for $150, I think that's pretty tough to beat assuming they're a good fit for your feet.

Normal pricing on the salomon 4d is $229. THE tibets can be had on shoebuy for less than $300. sales and special discounts aside the lowa tibet is 2x the boot. I like my salomon for their light weight and fit. Only had them for about 6 months but look forward to using them for spring turkey hunting. I often wear them for travel and around town. AS far as durability I will find out soon. I got mine on sale last year at rei. PRICE was 179 but what sold me was the one year unconditional return warranty at rei. THEY have not let me down yet.

Jvco

FNG
Normal pricing on the salomon 4d is $229. THE tibets can be had on shoebuy for less than $300. sales and special discounts aside the lowa tibet is 2x the boot. I like my salomon for their light weight and fit. Only had them for about 6 months but look forward to using them for spring turkey hunting. I often wear them for travel and around town. AS far as durability I will find out soon. I got mine on sale last year at rei. PRICE was 179 but what sold me was the one year unconditional return warranty at rei. THEY have not let me down yet.

I wasn't aware of the Tibets for that cheap, $380 at REI, I'll have to check out that deal.

I wasn't aware of the Tibets for that cheap, $380 at REI, I'll have to check out that deal.

Yes sir. THEY had a sale code around the holidays for 30% off. My coworker just bought a pair this week at 25% off. FREE shipping and free returns if they dont fit.
I have been wearing a set of lowa tibet gtx everyday for 2 1/2 years straight. Changed footed but still going strong. I am a electrician by trade and love the support they give especially on ladders. THE salomons are very comfortable. I hope they give me the same service......

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I just ordered a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX Hi for $296 at Shoebuy.com, they had size 14 which is what I needed. I have the Quest 4D's and like then a lot but have heard a lot of good about the Tibets. Hope they fit and feel good but probably more boot then I need.

I just ordered a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX Hi for $296 at Shoebuy.com, they had size 14 which is what I needed. I have the Quest 4D's and like then a lot but have heard a lot of good about the Tibets. Hope they fit and feel good but probably more boot then I need.

I have 2 pair of the tibet gtx and one pair of the tibet gtx hi. LOVE both styles. EACH has its intended use.

LostArra

WKR

I've found these two boots work for my feet. A pair of Tibets lasts a LOT longer than the 4D's.
4D's are my Sept archery elk boots.
Tibets are October rifle elk boots. There is no sneakiness in the Tibets but for heavy pack loads they can't be beat. (Full disclosure: my "heavy" pack loads are "fanny pack" loads for the guys on this forum.)

I wore my salomon this past summer for 4 days at a motorcycle rally in the mountains. Mud dust dirt smoke lots of beer and everything else you might expect. Light merino socks and no shower for 4 days. Boots never came off and my feet fared better than the rest of my body. Got tons of good comments about my boots there. If bearded tattooed harley guys a prove I am good with them......lol

The Salomon quest 4ds are a comfortable boot for light hunting and backpacking. They will leave you wanting more boot while side hilling or ascending with a heavy pack. I have run them for 2 seasons. First season to be honest I didn't harvest much and I thought they were awesome, only complaint was a little light on a super steep off trail ascent. This season though I packed out 4 elk and 3 deer and the heavy packs quickly made me look for a stiffer boot. I'll still use them for scouting trips and other hikes but while hunting I'll have my scarpa charmoz/triolet or possibly some la sportiva Nepals on.

I just got a pair of the 4d quests from Promotive. 159 to my door I believe. I really like them so far and plan on using the for spring gobbler. My insulated boots are just to dang warm for hunting thunder chickens.

I've put some miles in on the 4D GTX's and they are a hell of a boot. Did 23K with 9,000 feet of gain in one day carrying about 35lb, feet were fine. I've done shorter distance with ~80lb and they seemed fine. Main complaint is they make your feet sweat like a whore in church. I wish Salomon offered a version with the contragrip sole with no goretex. They make a non goretex version but the sole looks like a sneaker sole. My feet get soaked even in 30 degree temps after an hour or so.

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 4d and love them although they leak when the weather gets really nasty. I also use the speedcross trail runners for my camp shoes when backpacking and for trail running. Recently bought the uninsulated (x-ultra ? ) which are fantastic in warmer weather. Big fan of Salomon but I still use Kenetrek for most of my later season, more inclement weather hunts.

Akicita

WKR
I have the 4d and love them although they leak when the weather gets really nasty.

I know there are a lot of 4D GTX lovers here and without a doubt the 4D GTX are one of the most comfortable hikers I have. Even though they are worthless in heavy rain, wet snow and shallow stream crossings that's not my biggest complaint. The design and bonding of the soles are my biggest complaint. I truly love how light and comfortable they are but I couldn't get six months of light hiking out of them.

For occasional use in dry conditions you'll love them. But if you expect more out of gear you intend to use hard like me go with something else.

20170220_193620_resized_zpsvjjiyr4q.jpg

20170220_193815_resized_zpssmgr7jnp.jpg

20170220_193752_resized_zpszm2bxdbi.jpg

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
Those are defective if that's 6 months. I've had mine 3 years and they are nothing clise to that

Akicita

WKR
Whoa. That's 6mo worth of wear?

Those are defective if that's 6 months. I've had mine 3 years and they are nothing clise to that

I tested a pair for R&D from Mid March to early October 2015 as a daily duty boot and casual wear. Logging approximately 1176 miles of mostly off pavement but some on pavement. The biggest durability issues I observed were outer sole bonding, along with cracking and de-bonding of the toe rand at around 30 days (roughly 225 to 240 miles) . Gore-Tex Liner construction breakdown from toe flex and at the tongue were observed at approximately the same time.

I have a lot of high marks for this boot but durability under heavy use is not one that I observed. . . "Results may vary"

Respectfully,
Akicita