Lowa Ranger vs. Renegade vs. Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hiker

fishslap

WKR
I've had the Lowa Renegade's for a few years and they work pretty good. Lots of good blood stains on them. I had to get a 14 since the 13s were just a bit small. I normally wear 13s.

I picked up the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hiker a year or so ago for a stiffer backpacking boot. Size 13. Fit is good and boot is comfortable but they are just a little stiff for an issue I have. I have an old injury on my right foot and a somewhat fallen arch. This has caused less flexibility so with a stiffer boot, I have some heel lift regardless of sock or lacing strategy. I've worn them quite a bit doing my 3-4 mile evening training hikes but they haven't really loosened up much and would cause problems during longer wear periods during hunting season. On a side note, I may also have an older pair of the perfekt hikers. Mine are kind of brushed leather with a full rand. The current ones look waxed with no rand.

So...I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Lowa Ranger would be between the Renegade and perfekt hiker as far as stiffness. Also, do the Rangers run the same size as the Renegades. Any other recommendations for a hunting/hiking boot with moderate stiffness but still some flexibility? These are for hunting/hiking in Colorado in all but the coldest conditions.

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
I'd put the Ranger in between the Renegade and Tibet in terms of stiffness. Leaning a little more towards a Tibet. Every pair of Lowa I've had have been consistent in size.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Thanks. Anyone know what Crispi might be a little more supportive than the Renegade but not as stiff as a full backpacking/mountaineering boot? Idaho, Wyoming, or Valdres?

The Idaho is not as stiff as the Tibet. It's pretty close in stiffness to the Ranger. I have no experience with the Perfekt, so I can't give you any meaningful comparison there.

The only difference between the Idaho and Wyoming is the height. It's a really good boot.