New Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter & Mountain Hunter Elite Boots

Bulldawg

WKR
I'm usually mad ranting about how boots are too heavy and expensive for what most hunters actually need but the mtn hunter could be amazing.

Edit re: elite hunter - since they are basically an ice climbing boot I'm going to guess they are hopelessly stiff. Hopefully the mtn hunter has some decent flexibility.

Expensive yes, but the quality of "premium" brands has been in decline for a good long while (I'm looking at you la sportiva) so they could be a good value if quality is high, which it appears it is.

Made by Lowa?????

I'm betting that they are made by lathrop and sons, not lowa

cg2737

WKR
I ordered a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabbles at the outdoor show in PA. I'm considering canceling my order and trying these out. I wish I could try them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
New Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter & Mountain Hunter Elite Elite Boots

I'd love to try a pair but I'm in the same boat with a pair of Tech Lites that still have a lot of life left. Glad to see these guys doing good and releasing their own product.

Bulldawg

WKR
Is lathrop actually "making" these? As in in house literally, or did they design them and they are being made by a 3rd party?

I'm betting they are designed by Lathrop and a factory over seas is making the boot, probably in Europe somewhere. For the most part there isn't as much of those special make ups of items for company's as most people think.

wildcat33

WKR
I think it's a lip to keep crampons from slipping off. My Tech Lite Hunters have them on them. I hope to never use them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yep, the semi auto kind. That's also the main reason why they make the midsole so stiff in these types of boots. If it wasn't the crampons would pop off when the sole flexes.

Which still leaves me wondering, why the two different boots if no difference in the midsole????

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd love to try a pair but I'm in the same boat with a pair of Tech Lites that still have a lot of life left. Glad to see these guys doing good and releasing their own product.

Yep. I like mine so much I bought a second pair so I am never without.

Hi Wild Cat, There is a difference in the midsole design.
The Mountain Hunter has a molded PU heel stabilzer it not made for lever type crampon use.
The Mountain Hunter Elite Has the PU midsole with The TPU crampon heel stabilizer and can be used with lever locking crampons.

See linkhttps://lathropandsons.com/new-l-s-brand-boots.html

Thanks
Stephen

cg2737

WKR
I decided to cancel my Kenetrek order and call Lathrop and Sons. I ended up speaking to James for close to a half an hour. He explained the new boots to me in great detail, and answered my questions without pushing the boots on me. I would liken the customer service to what I receive from Kifaru, ie polite, knowledgeable, and not in a hurry to get you off the phone. I ended up ordering the Mountain Hunter Elite, with the Synergy footbeds. If you have any questions I would not hesitate to call them.

wildcat33

WKR
Hi Wild Cat, There is a difference in the midsole design.
The Mountain Hunter has a molded PU heel stabilzer it not made for lever type crampon use.
The Mountain Hunter Elite Has the PU midsole with The TPU crampon heel stabilizer and can be used with lever locking crampons.

See linkhttps://lathropandsons.com/new-l-s-brand-boots.html

Thanks
Stephen

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Rhino

FNG
Steve and James are great to work with indeed. They helped me try and get my crispi nevadas working for my feet last year, but it never truly solved my issue as the boot was the issue, for MY foot. Steven and I talked at great length the past couple days at how the mountain hunter will work for me and helped ensure a great fit out of the gate. I'm excited to get my hands on these and feet in them come April

VernAK

WKR
Stephen,

Is the toe box roomy?......say compared to my old Hanwags?
I like quite a lot of vertical toe space.....years ago I made a big toe into two big toes with an axe......yes, boot fit is subjective!

Talked to Lathrop last fall and was looking forward to these babies being released.

Stephen, can you characterize the last on these compared to say a Trango, Nepal, or Hanwag Alaska lasts?

Boot busy guys! Sorry for the delay!!
Our L&S last is truly unique. Our last is shaped to accommodate more width at the metatarsal area/ball of the foot while keeping the rest of the foot secure! Can't let all of our secrets out. Give us a call happy to answer any questions.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone received these yet? I know there was the pre-sale but wasn't sure when they would start being delivered. I am encouraged that they are built off a different last than the Tech Lites. I have a pair of those that I bought from L&S that I want to love, but just can't get to not hurt my foot. I tried their Synergy footbeds, Superfeet (various), and even custom orthotics. I just went through the process of ordering a pair of the L&S Elites, but bailed when I got to the Ground Shipping for $48.99. Maybe I'm just cheap or something but hard to swallow paying over 10% of the cost of the boot for ground shipping. Is there a coupon for shipping or something floating around?

Last edited: