New Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter & Mountain Hunter Elite Boots

bmart2622

WKR
I ordered a pair and didnt even think to ask about shipping cost....whoops, hopefully its not that steep.

That does sound a little steep for shipping. Considering the cost if the boots. My opinion.

That's not just opinion, it's ridiculous.

Put it this way, I bought a pair of hanwags from Germany and a pair of la Sportivas from the UK last year. Each shipped to me in California for about half that.

L&S Shipping costs

Has anyone received these yet? I know there was the pre-sale but wasn't sure when they would start being delivered. I am encouraged that they are built off a different last than the Tech Lites. I have a pair of those that I bought from L&S that I want to love, but just can't get to not hurt my foot. I tried their Synergy footbeds, Superfeet (various), and even custom orthotics. I just went through the process of ordering a pair of the L&S Elites, but bailed when I got to the Ground Shipping for $48.99. Maybe I'm just cheap or something but hard to swallow paying over 10% of the cost of the boot for ground shipping. Is there a coupon for shipping or something floating around?

This was brought to my attention yesterday afternoon. We have been very busy and do our best to catch issues like this.
After discussing with our staff no one can explain why you would have been quoted 48.99 to ship a pair of boots here in the lower 48 USA.
If you ran into a problem with our website and it generated that kind of a shipping rate we apologize a simple phone call is a it would have taken.
Thank you for looking at our NEW L&S line and are here to help!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Should always reach out to the to the companies first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for responding Stephen. I just checked and the shipping has now corrected to $23.99 ground.

And sorry I didn't have time to reach out. I often shop online because of the convenience and frank, lack of time to be making phone calls to companies. That's what the interwebs are for! I was just asking here if anyone else had received their boots yet and commenting that I decided not to order because of, what I perceived to be, a much higher than expected fee for ground shipping. I've spoken with James at L&S several times in the past and have nothing but good things to say about the company. I just didn't have the time to be making phone calls on a Sunday and I doubt they were open.

Never meant to cause any kind of a firestorm or to shed bad light on L&S.

pwsINC

WKR
I just got mine in yesterday. If looks could kill I could leave me gun at the truck. Boots look and feel great. It appears so much attention to detail and needs of hunters have been met. Anyone considering them or any new boots for the season should get on the list and quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just got mine in yesterday. If looks could kill I could leave me gun at the truck. Boots look and feel great. It appears so much attention to detail and needs of hunters have been met. Anyone considering them or any new boots for the season should get on the list and quick.

Keep us posted as you get some
miles on them. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwsINC

WKR
Public Land south island New Zealand in 2 weeks. Let you guys know shortly.

VernAK

WKR
This was brought to my attention yesterday afternoon. We have been very busy and do our best to catch issues like this.
After discussing with our staff no one can explain why you would have been quoted 48.99 to ship a pair of boots here in the lower 48 USA.
If you ran into a problem with our website and it generated that kind of a shipping rate we apologize a simple phone call is a it would have taken.
Thank you for looking at our NEW L&S line and are here to help!

Stephen,
thanks for responding to weedwhacker on-line as it gives everyone an opportunity to see your concern for customers. We Alaskans are especially aware of shipping charges and many companies won't take the time to research cheaper methods of transport.

For small items like your footbeds, the USPS Flat Rate packages are very advantageous.

I've used your footbeds for over a decade and many miles. Please keep up the good efforts toward building better mountain footwear.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I finally got back around to this and placed my order today. What better way to celebrate Mother's Day than to spend money on myself! (checked to make sure wife wasn't looking over my shoulder. All clear!)

Excited to try these out. No idea what to expect for break in time and no idea if they are in stock or if I will be waiting awhile. It was mentioned earlier that these look a lot like the Tech Lite Hunters and I am hoping that they fit different as the TLH's just didn't sit well with my foot. But they make for attractive decor at the entry to my hunting gear room! Just kidding. I'm anxious to hear what pwsINC has to say about the boots.

My previous boots I used the Granger Spray, but have entertained trying a wax so I ordered some from L&S as well. Is a wax ok to use on the leather uppers on these, Stephen? Or stick with the spray? I never know what to do with my boots when they look all dried out, but have that suede exterior. I'll update on how long it takes to get them and initial thoughts before I hit the Kansas mountains with them over the summer.

cg2737

WKR
I got my new Hunter Elites today. In the box was a note to call Lathrop and Son to make sure my boots were fitted to me correctly. I called in, and as usual received great customer service. I put 3.48 miles on them on some local trails with no weight on my back. I found them to be very comfortable right out of the box. I really like how these boots lace up. They did not loosen up while I walked and my foot stayed in place, up hill and down. My ankles felt very supported while side hilling and over roots, and knife edge rocks. So far so good.
IMG_8084 (1).MOV

darbuh

FNG
Received Mountain Hunter Elites yesterday after doing the custom boot system with Lathrop. I must say the craftsmanship of these boots is top notch and fit was simply outstanding for my foot. Very comfortable boot to wear and walk in. I don't think these boots will require a break-in period much at all if any. No comparison in regards to fit against my existing Meindl Alaskan Hunters that were a bit "Frankesteiny" for lack of a better term. Looking forward to taking them up the sheep mountain this August and putting them through the paces.

Stephen and James were very professional to work with and for my needs well worth the cost to finally get a boot that will fit correctly. No more numb toes and black toenails..........at least that is the hope!!!

pwsINC

WKR
I think what everyone will find is when tight your foot simply does not move yet the toe box is massive. Simply great.

What is stiffness like compared to say Lowa Cevedales, Trango EVO/Cube, or Hanwag Alaskans?

VernAK

WKR
I think what everyone will find is when tight your foot simply does not move yet the toe box is massive. Simply great.

Encouraging report!
At my age I really don't need a boot this rugged and stiff but a boot that holds my foot, supports ankles and yet has toe room....hmmm.
I do wish they had a model that was 2" taller.

lak2004

WKR
Encouraging report!
At my age I really don't need a boot this rugged and stiff but a boot that holds my foot, supports ankles and yet has toe room....hmmm.
I do wish they had a model that was 2" taller.
Agree, i like a taller boot also. Might jave to order these in the near future though. Just got a pair of kenetreks so my wife might kill me if i order another pair of $400-500 boots

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I also wonder about suede finish leather vs. smooth [full grain] leather.

The suede finish should hold treatment [waxes or oils] better but I've always equated rough-out leathers with inferior quality.

Perhaps I can get Stephen to respond.