New Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter & Mountain Hunter Elite Boots

pwsINC

WKR
I'll send a picture of boot on foot later to get perspective. I would put flex pretty comparable to my lowa tibets if that helps...... Not a ton of flex. But the toe box is amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hi Vern, Been very busy confirming sizing for customers and shipping out orders.

L&S elected to utilize Italian PERWANGER suede leather for our build. We have said it before and we are sticking to our guns. If it has our name on it it has to be top shelf.
This is the highest quality leather available and here are the advantages over a smooth in our opinion.
Thank you.
Water resistant
Abrasion resistant
Superior breath ability
Longevity so obvious resole capabilities.

Thank you
Stephen

I'm stalking the front of the house for the ups truck right now. I've never owned a really good pair of hunting boots before. Always stuck to the irish setters and my last pair were under armour boots. Let's just say, I can't wait to get my mountain hunters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
I got my Mountain Hunters yesterday and first impressions are that these boots are awesome. As others have mentioned the toe box is very roomy, the lacing system is great and I have never had a boot wrap around my ankle like these do. They are a stiff boot in your hands but dont feel stiff at all on your feet. The way they are built really helps the boot roll with your natural stride and gait. Im excited to put some trail miles on them.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I received my Mountain Hunter Elites today. The boots are very striking. Good look to them especially from the wearer's perspective. They look and feel very sturdy to the eye and hand. They rand seems very secure and its been shaved down at the upper rim to decrease the height against the leather. I suppose this is so it's less likely to have something get hung up on the raised rubber edge. Regardless, nice touch.

As I mentioned before, I got some Tech Lite Hunters from L&S over a year ago and I just couldn't get them to work for me. While there are some similarities in the feel to those, the MHEs do feel a bit different. Still a pretty stiff sole on these. When the TLHs didn't work for me I went with the Lowa Caminos which were much less stiff. These are much stiffer than those or the Crispi Summits I got for dinking around in.

I tried them on with the factory insoles and had a bit of dread enter my mind with the feel of the boot. They didn't feel horrible, by any means, but definitely like something was lacking. I promptly took the boots off and pulled out the insole which is pretty bare bones like all hunting boots. We all know you need a different insole than factory and I think manufacturers are catching on to this as well and not going to extremes in this area. Kind of like putting in a place holder or something. This is not a knock on L&S at all. I put in the Synergy footbeds that I had made by L&S for my TLEs. I hadn't used them at all since I bailed on those boots. They fit perfectly inside the boot. Oh, and I accidentally forgot to take out the right factory insole before putting in the Synergy. Lol. Let's just say that boot felt FULL! Got all situated and the boots felt much better. I didn't have them on long and didn't have on my usual hunting sock, but walked around the house for a few minutes. Overall, they feel pretty good.

The lacing is going to take a bit of getting used to I think. I usually leave the forefoot a bit looser because of "not QUITE wide feet" and then start locking in at the midfoot/lower ankle. The ball bearing lacing of the forefoot is pretty slick and then there are some of the tabs that you pull the laces up into. As of right now, they lock the lace in not allowing it to slide back. Nice touch and hope that they don't get bent out over time. Normally, at this part of the boot, I would place two overhand throws and cinch tight to start locking my heel in, but this is where I ran into a problem. The next lacing section is the Lateral-Load Lok eyelets. The lace goes through the fabric loop on the inside and plastic like loop on the outside of the boot. I pulled the laces out of them to do my throws. It's a bit tricky to then hold the tension to get the laces back through the Lateral Load Lok holes. Plus, it's a pretty tight fit and I bet those aglets are going to start to deform. Then it will be a B to get the laces through that section. Above this are 2 standard open tabs. The laces, themselves, seem pretty stout. I am going to have to play around with lacing a bit to find a system that works well for me.

It's going to take some getting used to the stiffness, but I'm looking forward to breaking these in. Overall, I am quite impressed with the first company designed boot offered by Lathrop & Sons. The boots seem sturdy, well thought out and designed, and pretty nice to look at! Also, there was a nice handwritten note from James and Stephen asking me to call in once I received the boots to discuss fitting. Pretty nice touch. I will give them a call next week. There is a card with care instructions in the box as well which is nice. I need to figure out which product to use on this leather though for conditioning and waterproofing.

I'll try and update as I get some more wear on these. They won't get any mountain use until CO vacation in July, but they'll get some work on hikes and things here around the Kansas Alps... :rolleyes:

Vandal 44

WKR
I received my Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter last week. Like many of you I was excited to try these boots out, I went all in with the "Custom Fit" (Foot Mapping & Synergy Foot Bed).

I have owned boots by Meindl Logger (not Cabelas), Lowa Hunter GTX, Lowa Cevedale GTX, Zamberlan 980 GTX and several other high end boots. These boots are very well built, I like the lacing system and I like how stiff they are.

When I received them I knew that they where going to need some break in time. I wore them around the house going up and down stairs then it I wore them to mow the lawn, fallowed by a simple 2 mile walk. the boots felt fine no hot spots.

I then went off on a short hike, the first part of the hike was very steep. I started to get a hot spot on both heels nothing major, the longer I hiked the hot spot got worse. I had to turn around and head bake to the house according to my Garmin I went 3.5 miles.

I have 13 miles on the Mountain Hunters and still getting hot spot on both heels when going up hills. These boots are going to take a lot longer to break in than most of my other boots

On a positive note the Mountain Hunters are very well built and should last a long time

Rhino

FNG
I had some heel hot spots develop also during my carpet and non abrasive break in process:) I put about 15 miles around the office for a week or so and besides some heel hot spots, they felt awesome. Stiff, but that will definitely break in. I called James and ended up sending them back to exchange them for a half size up, they're thinking that the boot is actually too small and that's why the hot spots are happening on the heels. I should have some 11's back in the next week or so.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders,
thanks for the support you've given Lathrop & Sons on these boots.

I just got this email concerning inventory on the Mountain Hunters, just FYI in case you're wanting some before hunting season.

We wanted to share with you information regarding L&S Mountain Hunter Series current inventory and expected replenishment dates.
Our Pre-book launch was a blast and sales continue to be strong. Inventory levels while acceptable at this time, are beginning to fall lower every day. To avoid delays, we have engaged our Italian manufacturer to start production as soon as possible. However, due to the quality and craftsmanship involved with producing such a premium mountain boot, we aren’t expecting replenishment until early fall.
If you or anyone else is interested in trying this level of boot for your 2017 season, please don’t wait! Feel free to pass this information along and share it with your friends. We wanted you, as an L&S customer, to have first-hand understanding of the current situation before we share publicly.

Thank you
Stephen & James

Anyone have any updates on the L&S boots? I'm considering trying a pair, but there's not a whole lot out there.

I like the idea of the roomy toe box that people speak of...

darbuh

FNG
I have the mountain hunter elites and used in AK on a sheep hunt about a week ago. I tend to have a wide forefoot and narrow heal and honestly can't say enough good things about these boots. Dealt with James/Stephen at Lathrop utilizing their Custom Boot System and it was the best money I have spent on a piece of gear. In the past I have had problems with some hot spots here and there and toe smash on heavy downhill packs, losing toenails etc.

Wonderful feeling knowing I won't have to deal with foot issues on the mountain anymore. Best of luck to you on your boot quest!

I have the mountain hunter elites and used in AK on a sheep hunt about a week ago. I tend to have a wide forefoot and narrow heal and honestly can't say enough good things about these boots. Dealt with James/Stephen at Lathrop utilizing their Custom Boot System and it was the best money I have spent on a piece of gear. In the past I have had problems with some hot spots here and there and toe smash on heavy downhill packs, losing toenails etc.

Wonderful feeling knowing I won't have to deal with foot issues on the mountain anymore. Best of luck to you on your boot quest!

I called them this morning and spoke with James and have a pair coming my way. I'm not doing the custom fitting maps, but talked to him about my feet and they're going to make some adjustments on them to hopefully make them perfect. I have a very normal foot, so I'm hoping I'll be fine. I can't wait to try them. I am going to try and get them broke in before my AK hunt in October.

I've got a pair of Mountain Hunters on the way (I think... hoping they are here by Thursday, but havent seen any tracking info yet). I initially wanted the Elites, but they called to say they were out in my size. Hoping I get to put the Hunters to the test on an 11 day trip starting this week!

bat-cave

WKR
Folks, I thought I would share my impressions of the L&S Mtn Hunter Elite now that I had a chance to put them to use during hunting season. I have been plagued by a couple of foot related issues (sucks getting old) over the past few tears. Plantar Fasciitis came first, but was resolved with some customer orthotics. Next came some chronic inflammation around my heel / Achilles tendon that interestingly enough seemed to appear by day 5/6. This would end my Elk season each year as I had to baby it for weeks to be able to wear shoes comfortably again. Hence the search for a better pair of boots. I ended up speaking with the guys at L&S and going with the custom Mtn Hunter Elite + synergy footbeds.

I started doing some hikes in them with a heavy pack and just putting miles wherever I could to break them in. I found that I was prone to develop hot spots on my heels (worse on my Right, which has also been the primary issue for Achilles issues (FWIW)). The answer for me was that I had to lace them tighter than I thought I should or would be comfortable. I have generally preferred a bit looser fit around my ankles, especially in steep terrain. This definitely led to the hot spots. Being a slow learner it took 3 days into the season and ~25 miles of mtn hunting to tear open my right heal. I ended up patching it up and paying better attention to my lacing and really snugging them up.

Low and behold when properly laced nice and snug, even the bloodied heal didn't hurt or get any worse. I found that I would loosen them and crank them back down 1-2 per day and no issues followed. They are a fair but stiffer then the Danner's I was wearing previously, but I have gotten use to this and am really happy with the boots. I put in ~80 miles and 30,000 ft of vertical thus far during the archery Elk season here in CO and am sold on these boots. No issues with heat/wet/talus/mud etc ... Great all around boot and highly recommended for anyone in the market for a high quality pair of boots. Especially if you have had foot issues, call L&S and you won't regret it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing bat-cave. That'll be helpful to someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cg2737

WKR
I just finished up my two week adventure, hunting elk in Southern Colorado. I put in well over 80 miles of steep terrain, blow downs, and wet conditions. I did not have one blister or a hot spot. Great boots.

The only issue I had was on very hot days my feet got sweaty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Folks, I thought I would share my impressions of the L&S Mtn Hunter Elite now that I had a chance to put them to use during hunting season. I have been plagued by a couple of foot related issues (sucks getting old) over the past few tears. Plantar Fasciitis came first, but was resolved with some customer orthotics. Next came some chronic inflammation around my heel / Achilles tendon that interestingly enough seemed to appear by day 5/6. This would end my Elk season each year as I had to baby it for weeks to be able to wear shoes comfortably again. Hence the search for a better pair of boots. I ended up speaking with the guys at L&S and going with the custom Mtn Hunter Elite + synergy footbeds.

I started doing some hikes in them with a heavy pack and just putting miles wherever I could to break them in. I found that I was prone to develop hot spots on my heels (worse on my Right, which has also been the primary issue for Achilles issues (FWIW)). The answer for me was that I had to lace them tighter than I thought I should or would be comfortable. I have generally preferred a bit looser fit around my ankles, especially in steep terrain. This definitely led to the hot spots. Being a slow learner it took 3 days into the season and ~25 miles of mtn hunting to tear open my right heal. I ended up patching it up and paying better attention to my lacing and really snugging them up.

Low and behold when properly laced nice and snug, even the bloodied heal didn't hurt or get any worse. I found that I would loosen them and crank them back down 1-2 per day and no issues followed. They are a fair but stiffer then the Danner's I was wearing previously, but I have gotten use to this and am really happy with the boots. I put in ~80 miles and 30,000 ft of vertical thus far during the archery Elk season here in CO and am sold on these boots. No issues with heat/wet/talus/mud etc ... Great all around boot and highly recommended for anyone in the market for a high quality pair of boots. Especially if you have had foot issues, call L&S and you won't regret it.

I would agree 100% on lacing them snug. I did the same, left them a little loose and I had a hot spot. Snugged up an no issues.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished 6 days in WY chasing elk in nasty blowdown/deadfall forest, plenty of elevation gain and lost and the boots worked great. I'll echo having to re-tighten a couple of times a day. I liked them tight as well. My hands got sore by day 4 from it! Lol. I began breaking these boots in several months ago and feel a longer break in was required, at least for my feet. I always pre-tape my heels although I've never had a blister problem. An ounce of prevention... Regardless, no hot spots or blistering issues despite plenty of abuse. I didn't have to deal with any wet conditions to test waterproofness on the hunt. Insides of the boots dried nightly just by removing footbeds and airing out. Coming out, no issues with rand damage or peeling. Boots still look great despite 52 miles of abuse in those 6 days. I think L&S has a winner.

Curious about the leather quality, do they seem to shed water well? My current go to boots (Hanwag ancash gtx) are money but seem to absorb water more than others even after snoseal or kennetrek treatment. My buddies zamberlans dry out quicker every night after being exposed to the same conditions.