Insulated or Uninsulated

mtrotter

FNG
Heading to Coloarda for the second elk rifle season. Will be a backpack hunt. Last week in October. Average temps 50s to 20s. My feet to get cold easily. Would you recommend insulated boots? Was thinking I could get away with goretex hiking boots.

mdfanatic

FNG
Un-insulated with good socks. You're going to be moving around a lot. If it is cold, it probably won't be cold for too long. If you're about to go out and buy some, I'd consider 200gram but nothing heavier. I was there 2nd season last year - sandals would've worked. Un-insulated is what I wore/wear.

I would say no more than 200g if going insulated. I use both uninsulated and insulated. Mostly uninsulated unless im just sitting. Then I bring a pair of those insulated booties you can put over shoes when you stop.

frankrb3

WKR
I have both insulated and uninsulated. I use several different types of darn tough socks to create a "layering system" for my feet. Although i never wear more than one pair at a time, I have different thicknesses for more or less warmth. Whenever your feet get sweaty and you decide to stop for longer than 20 minutes, change them for a pair of dry ones.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Heading to Coloarda for the second elk rifle season. Will be a backpack hunt. Last week in October. Average temps 50s to 20s. My feet to get cold easily. Would you recommend insulated boots? Was thinking I could get away with goretex hiking boots.

Would agree with what Elkfitnes said. 200g or less insulation and a good sock system should keep you comfortable through a wide temperature range. A lot of guys get our Beartooth Insulated boots and use a thin or heavy sock to adjust for climate.

Schnee's Performance Boots - SCHNEE'S Beartooth Insulated

Because Schnee's has weighed in here I'd like to know if the Bozeman boot has been completely discontinued. A new model coming? Timeline and description?

I would say no more than 200g if going insulated. I use both uninsulated and insulated. Mostly uninsulated unless im just sitting. Then I bring a pair of those insulated booties you can put over shoes when you stop.

Elkfitness,

Do you mean like the down booties that alpine mountaineers use? Which brand, style, insulation weight do you use? Also, how good to they work. I've never tried them. I always felt that they wouldn't hold up.'

Thanks.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Because Schnee's has weighed in here I'd like to know if the Bozeman boot has been completely discontinued. A new model coming? Timeline and description?

Hi Kevin. The Bozeman has been put out to pasture. We do have a new Bozeman coming out very soon(possibly April) that is HUGELY improved. It will also going to come in 2 different heights now. I have a pair in my office now. I will try and sneak a couple "Rokslide Exclusive" pictures for you everyone on here.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 2nd rifle season in Colorado for the last 10+ years. Never once have I used insulated boots. Granted, I stay in a wall tent, so I can dry any wet gear out (AWESOME!), but a good pair of boots and good wool socks (with liners) will do just fine. :)

If I were you, I'd get the best fitting waterproof uninsulated boots you can buy, with a great pair of wool socks and sock liners, and spend any other funds on some good gaiters - Had good luck with Kenetrek and FL, but I love my Kuiu Yukon Gaiters.

Here's a video I did on some of the benefits of gaiters: Monday Essential Gear & Tips #3 - Gaiters - Kuiu, Kenetrek, First Lite - YouTube

Good Luck!

if actively moving then uninsulated is the way to go possibly with wool socks