Boot Dilemma - What to do?

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 boots I have been trying to decide on. I have about 15 miles in each with a 40 lbs pack, not happy with either, trying to decide what to do next.

1. Cabela's Meindl Perfekt Hunter - Fits well in the footbed however they have consistently given me blisters on my heels, especially on the uphills. I also feel quite a bit of pressure on the heel on an uphill.

2. Zamberlan 1012 - Fits perfect in the heel. Very comfortable most of the time, but with the pack on I get a lot of pressure/pain on the outside middle of my foot. Is the boot too narrow? Tying the boot a little looser tends to help.

Wondering what to do next:

1. Try to break in one pair of boots past the issues. Is one type of issue typically solved with break in?

2. Try inserts in one or both of them?

3. Scrap both of them and try something new. I really like the high full leather boots. Maybe Schnees beartooth or Kenetrek Mountain Extremes

I have tried solomon's and danner's and really do not like the way a mid-rise boot hits my ankle. I also prefer the support of a full stiff boot.:mad:

First thing I always try to do is put an aftermarket insole in my boots, I've used L&S, Superfeet, Dr. Scholls, etc. It sounds to me like you could use an insole in your Meindls to help lock your heel in, not sure about the Zamberlans, but a set of insoles might do the trick.

Stid2677

WKR
Google lacing for heel slip, also try taping as well. Using lacing really helped me and I vary lacing depending on the terrain.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas Hunter's- Sell them! If they are constantly giving you blisters then they will always give you blisters. You may find ways to reduce the blisters but you won't eliminate them. Sorry, these boots just aren't right for your feet.

Zamberlan- Quality insoles will sometimes help the issue you are describing. If a good new insole doesn't help then sell these boots too and try something different.

Both issues you are describing will most likely not be solved by further breaking in of the boot.

GKPrice

Banned
my advice, which is worth what it costs, is to keep right on shopping until you find "that" pair of boots that feels right in the store - At 65 y/o I've endured so many boot experiences because someone told me how great they were, the marketing was really good, the had a no questions asked return policy, the price was good, etc etc ..... and I had sore or hurt or cold or all the above for too many years and trips - each can do what their gut tells them to do or what another's gut tells them what to do but until you find a boot you can walk out of the store wearing with a big smile on your face you'll not know that true happiness of "happy dogs" ....

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree above. Heel slip is a deal breaker for me and better (thicker) insoles usually raise your foot up and make it worse. I have a narrow foot and struggle with most boots. Zamberlans are wide on me but no heel slip. Running some Asolo now I like. Good luck

rfc86

FNG
I would call the guys at Lathrop and Sons and talk to them about your issues. They are very nice and extremely helpful with everything foot related. I use their footbed in my Schnees Beartooth and it is awesome.

Hard to say exactly, I've gotten heel blisters from slipping but also from being crammed against the heel pocket too tightly. The zamberlands might still work. I have pain on the outside of my foot between ball of foot and heel in most new boots I try. Typically with super feet and time for both my feet and boots to get "broken in" this goes away or gets minimized. Usually that is taken care of before 40 miles though..