Kenetrek question

mdfanatic

FNG
I've bought a few pair of boots here recently, looking for a 200-400gram boot. I've returned most. The one I had the question on - Kenetrek Extreme 400. It's uncomfortable under the arch of my foot. It puts pressure there. I've only worn them in the house. Will this go away with time, or is it time to move on to the next boot to try?

Jester8

FNG
I bought the Hardscrabbles about two months ago, uninsulated. The sales rep who sold them to me didn't know what he was doing, so I ended up with a wide boot, and one where my toes were hitting the front of the toe box. I took them back, had my foot measured by a knowledgeable rep, moved up two sizes and didn't need wide boots.

Give them time. And a word of advice-I took the insoles out and threw them away. They suck. Get yourself a pair of Superfeet or some other good insole. Don't be throwing Dr. Scholls in there! I purchased the green Superfeet. I too had pressure in the arch with the old insoles. Bought the new ones and they are very comfortable. Kenetrek recommends a 50 mile break in on flat ground before even going up and down hills. Wear them everywhere you can. My boots are now getting to a point where they are getting very comfortable. To the point where if I had the option to, I would wear them EVERYWHERE I could. Also, you can try different lacing techniques, especially if you have a high instep. Lacing them different will also help lock in your heal to the back of the heel box. Hope that helps.

TwoTikkas

WKR
What jester said. I too bought the extreme 400. Give them a little time. I'm currently still using the supplied insole. No real complaints,but I have read too many posts praising superfeet not to try them. I'll eventually get to that. The boot is otherwise amazing. I used to think I had good ankle support. I was wrong. I now know what support really is. Sweet!

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
This year will be my 6th season for my Mountain Extremes 400. Mine took about 50 miles or so to break in. Even during this period they were not uncomfortable, just hadn't quite formed to my feet. Now they are the most comfortable boot that I own and I have several. I've worn them hunting elk in CO for 4 years and deer in SD, OK and TX during most of those years. Most will recommend that you get a good pair of insoles and I have had great luck with Superfeet Orange. Superfeet have insoles for those that have high arches and everything in between.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more you wear them the better they are. As noted may help to add some different insoles as that is the first thing I do for all my boots. I run some the meindl inserts you get at cabelas for 25$. With all the snow we had this winter I am still running the 400's at this time of year while shoeing and post holing on some long shed hunting days. Currently saving my cabela $$ to get a backup pair for free.

frankrb3

WKR
Took a while for my hardscrabbles to break in. Probably about 2 weeks of wearing them all day around town. I'm almost always a wide when it comes to boots but I also went with a regular width. This allowed them to form around my foot much better and now they are some of the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I will eventually own a pair of the insulated mountain extremes for late season hunting. Stick with them and eventually they will break in, but it's probably going to hurt at first.