Best Boots for Prairie Mule deer archery hunt.

Going on my first out of state hunt for mule deer in South Dakota. What is a good boot for hiking and stalking muleys in moderate terrain? Comfort being foremost and durability a close second. I know there are many out there.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Best boot is subjective and personal to the wearing party. The Best boots are going to be comfortable, have good tread, hold up well to abuse and make your feet feel like you can walk 20 miles in them without any blisters or hot spots. Which ones are those? Thats going to be completely between you and your feet. No one can tell you this. :)

Last edited:

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Where at in the state will you be hunting? I worked in the NW corner and spent a lot of time in the hills too. I would say a stiff soled boot would be best, and then the use of a gaiter to keep rocks/dirt/seed heads out would be your best bet. Really depends on the area though.

When I go home to the ranch in Southwest nebraska I wear my ariat terrains but we do a lot of driving and little walking. If I decide to walk that day then I wear my solomans quest 4D 2 goretex.

I know what you mean by moderate terrain. rolling hils with some canyons and coulees best of luck

If the weather is good and not wet and nasty I use my Morrell hiking boots. If it's wet and/or snowy I use my Danner Trophy's or White's Outdoorsman's which I hope to purchase soon. If it's really cold and nasty you can't go wrong with Schnee's Hunter II packs. I'd suggest taking at least a couple different boots to wear. One for the nicer weather and one for the cold nasty stuff. A good boot dryer is nice to take with you too!

I've hiked all over the little Missouri grasslands in ND and all over around the bighorn basin in wyoming with my UA speed freak boozeman boots and love em. Super light, grip well, good ankle support. And hell I paid the full 140 ish for them but think Camofire has them for like $88 or something once in a while. Are they the best? Prob not but you know for the price in my amateur/newbie western Hunter/hiker experience they're good to go.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I would recommend an all leather boot of some sort. Stay away from cordura/leather. There is going to be a lot of prickly pear cactus and it will go right through cordura. They don't have to be a heavy duty backpacking type boot but IMO leather is a must.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I will second the all-leather comment. Throw in some knee pads and watch where you sit. Those cacti will get you.

I wear Danner crater rim hikers and they do really well.

jmez

WKR
Knee pad comment is a good one and you will want a pair that has a hard plastic face. The foam ones that come standard in some of the hunting pants are worthless. I'd also bring a pair of heavy leather gloves. If you have to crawl you don't want to have to look every time you put your knee or hand down.

KurtR

WKR
Leather gloves and knee pads are more important than boots. Early I wear tennis shoes or a comfortable hiker. Get a little snow I have some meindel ultra light hunters. If coming in September bring something for mosquito they will eat you alive in the evening

OP
S
In response to Freebirds question. Moderate terrain meaning rolling hills, draws, some rocky outcroppings. South Dakota is NOT Colorado or Idaho. Thanks for the info guys!