Rifle season footware

Last year was my first diy archery elk hunt. This year we will rifle hunt. I'm wondering how I need to prepare as far as footwear for colder weather, possible snow, etc.
I have midsize uninsulated boots, are they sufficient? They are a bit snug if I try to wear 2 pairs of socks( hurts my toes).
Do I need gators to keep snow from getting my boots wet? Snow shoes? What do you guys like for this time of year that would be a safe bet?
Footwear can ruin a hunt on day one so I'm trying not to screw it up.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
When and where will you be hunting? Do your feet get cold easily? Come late October into November I like my 400gr kenetreks and where gaiters about every day if any snow of depth and or rain.

OP
D
Sorry, I'm hunting Colorado
I don't know when because we put in for draw first rifle
But might end up otc 2nd season rifle

My toes get cold if I sit still too long. But I'm not sensitive to it

I run Salamon Quests 4D GTX during archery and then late season just add a pair of wool socks with gaiters to keep the snow out. Has worked great so far for me.

OP
D
Ok I guess I need to try gaiters this year, never used them before.

What about snow shoes? Is that something you would only need at end of season or above tree line? I'm guessing if you need them then elk will want to move down away from the high country anyway.

wildcat33

WKR
I think you would fine without snowshoes, Ive hunted fourth season a fair bit in my short elk career and never needed them. With gaiters on you can plow through most anything you'll encounter.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If in snow and cold temps I like my kenetreks with 400grams and gaiters. Stiff boot with good ankle support and added warmth when the temps drop. A solid late season elk hunting boot. Gaiters help keep the snow out and retain warmth with added protection from rain.

Jimss

WKR
I don't have any insulated boots and work outside in Colorado year-round. I usually buy boots that are about 1/2 to 1 size larger so I can wear a little heavier socks during the coldest days in the winter. My go-to boots in snow are Lowa Tibets. I prefer lighter boots when there is no snow on the ground and like Scarpa Kailash. If snow gets super deep and I'm hunting in temps in the single digits I wear Sorels...tough to beat a boot that is designed for snow!

GKPrice

Banned
When hunting elk in mid to late season you never can be sure what the weather will do from day to day - In Oregon's Hell's Canyon area, which is not Colorado Rockies by any means, over many years I've gone to bed after a day in the mid 60's and woke up to 6" of snow and 30's, IME you either have to have a system that works for YOU or sooner or later you will be uncomfortable for some of the hunt

Having an uninsulated boot and an insulated pair at the ready is sort of a luxury that not all can or want to partake in, as mentioned Gaiters will give you a nice bump in cold comfort but they're not "insulation", Pacs are not anywhere near optimal for rugged terrain (heavy and not enough ankle support for most) but they are usually nice and cozy - for ME, maybe not for anyone else, I can get away with quite a bit lower temp "comfort" with the way I fit MY boots, one pair of good (Darn Toughs or Smartwool) suited to the conditions I'll be in that day in boots that allow my toes to wiggle freely as I'm leaving "camp", you can help with the fit in mid vs. heavy socks by using different insoles too
Even though it is a "luxury" for some having two pairs of boots solves much or all the above mentioned and you have an option of rotating boots which is nice - EVERYONE'S feet are different in size, dimensional differences or sweating which makes "BOOTS" as a forum topic challenging - from a quality perspective I like LOWA because I've had geed to great luck with them and they fit me well (never had to walk even a block for break in) but there are lots and lots of awesome boots to shop

If wearing two pairs of socks take up too much space in your boots, try wearing a liner sock under a pair of merino wool socks. Kenetrek Ultimate Liner under a pair of Kenetrek Alaska socks are what I wear. My feet stay warm in uninsulated Mountain Extremes, and the liner helps prevent hot spots that could lead to blisters (for me anyway).
Gaiters will certainly help if you hit some snow.

Last edited:
OP
D
Thanks guys
Its hard sometimes making gear multiseason/multipurpose. I will look into some of these options and experiment with what I have.
I haven't tried a liner before, so that would be something to try.