Sock woes. heavy padding vs light

I recently started another post about my difficulty in finding a pair of boots that work well for me. I have also been going around in circles which sock preference.

I want to use wool socks as they will stay fresher over the course of a long hunt better than cotton sock. I have half a dozen or more pairs of Smartwool socks ranging from light cushion up to heavy cushion trekking socks and can't figure the best options because I don't have confidence in my boots.

I train by hiking with different amounts of weight in my frame pack with different boots, depending on the conditions. When I get over 60 lbs it seems like I generate more hot spots with the heavy trekking socks than the light cushion. I assume this is because there is more room for my feet to be sliding around under the weight. Is anyone using a lightweight, tight fitting liner sock to keep from having your socks rub your skin?

All in all I have tried lots of combinations and haven't been able to pattern it to get a consistent comfort across all pack weights or boots. What is your sock setup?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is anyone using a lightweight, tight fitting liner sock to keep from having your socks rub your skin?

Of course. I always run a thin poly liner sock under my Smartwool Classic merino socks. The Classics are fairly thin not a lot of fluff or movement in my boot. This is the best setup I have found for me and aggressive archery elk hunting.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
If you have not tried them I highly recommend the Darn Tough mid Hikers. Nothing compares to them in my opinion. I do not use a liner with them. I have small feet (8ee) and the Medium Micro Crew DarnTough fit my feet very well. My socks do not slip nor do my boot (Asolo 520s).

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Using a liner is a game changer. Especially when breaking in boots. I hiked for years without them, but one trip with them (several years ago) has changed all of that. The reduction in friction and the added moisture wicking all adds up to comfort in the end. Also, if you use liners, just pack an extra pair of liners and swap them out. No need, really, for another pair of (outer) socks.

These are the liners I use and since you already have smartwool, you're familiar with the product. Smart Wool Sock Liners

As for picking the thickness of the socks you wear over the liners, I'd suggest the lighter side of padding - especially with a good fitting boot. The extra padding tends to squish when you put more weight on it and that movement can create hotspots. Light sock over a liner and you should be good to go.

Just my thought...

I know they look crazy, but the Injini toe sock liners are superb. I've had no problems hiking with them on under Darn Tough socks of varying thicknesses. Even on hot days with sweaty feet, the Injini liners wick away moisture and keep friction on the foot and toes to a minimum.

Ray

WKR
Darn tough, liner, and then Luekotape on your hot spots. Some of us get hot spots no matter what. When you figure out where they will always develop, learn to tape them. I've had Luekotape last 6 days without any separation from my skin.

Murdy

WKR
Before I tried liners, one of my hunting buddies told me liners were the worst thing in the world and not to bother with them. I tried them anyway and love them. Lot of personal preference here.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I started wearing liner socks in the 70's when I started basketball. Without them basketball feet would be hamburger. So that just carried through to hunting as well. I did try some merino socks by themselves a couple years ago thanks to some dumb advice, and my feet were bright red and felt like they were on fire the entire time. Always a liner.

tttoadman

WKR
I am a fan of liner socks.
I like the Darn tough a lot.
I have started using sofsole memory foam inserts to keep the balls of my feet from hurting after miles of hiking heavy.

I work on my feet every day in hot weather. I wear both heavy and light padded merino wool socks in proper fitting boots. I also have the green smart feet insoles in many of my boots. I neVer use liners.

I have personally found the best system for me was the Kenetrek Ultimate liner sock under the Kenetrek Alaska wool socks. Perfection for me, and I have tried several different combinations that didn't work as well.

GKPrice

Banned
If you have not tried them I highly recommend the Darn Tough mid Hikers. Nothing compares to them in my opinion. I do not use a liner with them. I have small feet (8ee) and the Medium Micro Crew DarnTough fit my feet very well. My socks do not slip nor do my boot (Asolo 520s).

out of all the wool socks I've trying in the past 3 or so years these ^^^^^ work best for me (I never wear liners but I also don't hike those LONG distances although 5 - 8 miles once in a while)