LOWA Irox GTX Mid review; Updated 9/25

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to know if anyone has tried the Lowa Camino and the Irox and how they compare? They are both in the trekking catergory, but the Irox is quit a bit lighter. I am looking to get either the Irox or the Camino.
I haven't tried both but I'll look at them while I'm at Shot show if I get a chance.

These look like they might be exactly what I’m after. Something that doesn’t weigh you down when walking 10 miles a day with a light pack, but enough support and grip to haul meat out in rocky terrain if you slow down and use a bit of caution.

It looks like they are super affordable compared to other options also.

Just ordered a pair of these, largely based on your review. Let the folks at LOWA know if you can and hopefully they wil keep sending test items your way.

Benjblt

WKR
I haven't tried both but I'll look at them while I'm at Shot show if I get a chance.

Justin, maybe you've answered these questions but;
How durable would you guess this shoe is in the abrasion resistance? I hunt in Western Oregon and there are all kinds of sticks, rocks, and brush that pick at the sides of the boots. My Lowa Innox get worked over pretty good if I try to use them off the open trail since this country is so brushy.

Second, do you think the sole will last as long as a Vibram? Is this boot resole-able.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, maybe you've answered these questions but;
How durable would you guess this shoe is in the abrasion resistance? I hunt in Western Oregon and there are all kinds of sticks, rocks, and brush that pick at the sides of the boots. My Lowa Innox get worked over pretty good if I try to use them off the open trail since this country is so brushy.

Second, do you think the sole will last as long as a Vibram? Is this boot resole-able.

Benjblt, these boots are pretty tough but I wouldn't recommend them for hunting areas where you will rub the sides on sharp rocks. Whenever I'm expecting that type of terrain, I go with a leather boot with a full rubber rand.

The soles seem to hold up well. I would expect them to last about the same as a Vibram. They are not resole-able as far as I know.

Justin,

I am back looking at the Irox as my potential next boot. as far as stiffness did you feel it was sufficient for off trail siding hilling with a heavy pack on? I have worn the lowa tibet and I realize its not as stiff as that, but want to make sure it still has enough backbone for the steep stuff with a load.

Thanks,

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin,

I am back looking at the Irox as my potential next boot. as far as stiffness did you feel it was sufficient for off trail siding hilling with a heavy pack on? I have worn the lowa tibet and I realize its not as stiff as that, but want to make sure it still has enough backbone for the steep stuff with a load.

Thanks,
That really depends on the person. I prefer my Zamberlan Guides for any hunting where I expect heavy packs. That's not to say they wouldn't work but I just prefer a boot with more support for that stuff.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Gatorgrizz,

How do you like the Irox boots?

Unfortunately, they just didn’t fit me properly. The build quality and stiffness on them was awesome, but the toe box was giving me a hot spot on the outside of my small toes after just 2 miles. I tried both a size 12 and 13 with the same problem, but I have strange feet and need a really big toe box though I have a narrow foot through my instep.

Living in FL I’m unable to try on most mountain boots and got tired of shipping and returns, trying to get a feel for them while staying within the return policy. I even took them to a local hiking shop and tried different socks, insoles, etc, but they weren’t going to work. I ended up going with the Salomon Quest’s and Lathrop & Sons insoles, but I still need to add more arch support and a padded sock like KUIU’s.

I would 100% prefer the Lowa’s if I could get them to fit right though.

Jimss

WKR
I've used and abused several different Lowa boots over the past 5 years. Someone asked about Lowa Caminos. I just bought a pair and so far really like them. They are a chunk heavier than the Innox. I would expect the Caminos to shed snow and water over time better than the Innox and offer more support on steep, rocky terrain. Similar to the Caminos and one of my favorite boots so far is the Lowa Vantages. They are medium weight and stiffness hikers that are super comfortable. Another Lowa I've used are the Renegades. Although they were super light and comfortable they didn't hold up very well compared to the others.

Mid height hikers are perfect for me. I actually like a little stiffer sole and upper boot which offer more support on steep and rocky terrain.....which is true of both the Caninos and Vantage models. It's a lot easier on my feet and legs especially when hauling heavier loads.

Another concern mentioned above is insoles. I always replace the insoles that come with my boots. The bottoms of my feet burn with hard insoles. I prefer super soft insoles and wear socks with padding on the soles. This combo works great for me.

With that said, I would guess that Innox would be great in hot, dry conditions. If your feet tend to sweat a lot I would expect the Innox to be the cat's meow. The Innox have the advantage of being super light weight but still relatively good ankle and foot support. If you need a little more support and a boot that may stand the test of time on supper rocky, brushy country you may want to consider a boot similar to the Vantage or Caninos. I would also think they would hold up to extreme weather conditions (rain and snow) a chunk better than the Innox. If you are like me you have a closet full of boots to choose from and pick the one that may work best for the particular use and country you'll be spending time in on any given day!

Last edited:
I've used and abused several different Lowa boots over the past 5 years. Someone asked about Lowa Caminos. I just bought a pair and so far really like them. They are a chunk heavier than the Innox. I would expect the Caminos to shed snow and water over time better than the Innox and offer more support on steep, rocky terrain. Similar to the Caminos and one of my favorite boots so far is the Lowa Vantages. They are medium weight and stiffness hikers that are super comfortable. Another Lowa I've used are the Renegades. Although they were super light and comfortable they didn't hold up very well compared to the others.

Mid height hikers are perfect for me. I actually like a little stiffer sole and upper boot which offer more support on steep and rocky terrain.....which is true of both the Caninos and Vantage models. It's a lot easier on my feet and legs especially when hauling heavier loads.

Another concern mentioned above is insoles. I always replace the insoles that come with my boots. The bottoms of my feet burn with hard insoles. I prefer super soft insoles and wear socks with padding on the soles. This combo works great for me.

With that said, I would guess that Innox would be great in hot, dry conditions. If your feet tend to sweat a lot I would expect the Innox to be the cat's meow. The Innox have the advantage of being super light weight but still relatively good ankle and foot support. If you need a little more support and a boot that may stand the test of time on supper rocky, brushy country you may want to consider a boot similar to the Vantage or Caninos. I would also think boots similar to Caninos or Vantage would hold up to extreme weather conditions (rain and snow) a chunk better than the Innox. If you are like me you have a closet full of boots to choose from and pick the one that may work best for the particular use and country you'll be spending time in on any given day!

I actually found the Irox to be hotter than I expected. However it could be due to friction from not being broken in, but the only rubbing I noticed was the small spot on the outside of my toe. My feet get hot even in mesh trail runner, but the Lowa’s were noticeably warmer than my Salomons.

Jimss

WKR
What's nice is Lowas come in different widths. I'm not sure if your Innox are too narrow....and thus the friction? I would say if you can't wiggle your outside toe your boots may be on the narrow side for your feet?

Another thing I didn't mention in my post above is that I buy my boots 1 size bigger. I always like a little wiggle room for my toes. I also have plenty of room for padded insoles plus padded socks. Depending upon the weather I have several different thickness of socks to choose from. I'll wear super thin socks with padded bottoms when it's hot and cinch down my boots. In the winter I'll wear heavier socks and relax the laces.

What's nice is Lowas come in different widths. I'm not sure if your Innox are too narrow....and thus the friction? I would say if you can't wiggle your outside toe your boots may be on the narrow side for your feet?

Another thing I didn't mention in my post above is that I buy my boots 1 size bigger. I always like a little wiggle room for my toes. I also have plenty of room for padded insoles plus padded socks. Depending upon the weather I have several different thickness of socks to choose from. I'll wear super thin socks with padded bottoms when it's hot and cinch down my boots. In the winter I'll wear heavier socks and relax the laces.

Some do, the Irox don’t from what I’ve seen. They also don’t come in a 12.5 which might be the best size for me. I also assumed that your computer was auto correcting “Irox” to “Innox”, but it appears they are two different boots, so what I discussed here may not apply to those. They don’t look to have a Gore-Tex liner so they may be cooler than the Irox.

Jacack

WKR
Unfortunately, they just didn’t fit me properly. The build quality and stiffness on them was awesome, but the toe box was giving me a hot spot on the outside of my small toes after just 2 miles. I tried both a size 12 and 13 with the same problem, but I have strange feet and need a really big toe box though I have a narrow foot through my instep.

Living in FL I’m unable to try on most mountain boots and got tired of shipping and returns, trying to get a feel for them while staying within the return policy. I even took them to a local hiking shop and tried different socks, insoles, etc, but they weren’t going to work. I ended up going with the Salomon Quest’s and Lathrop & Sons insoles, but I still need to add more arch support and a padded sock like KUIU’s.

I would 100% prefer the Lowa’s if I could get them to fit right though.

I am having the same issue with the irox, outside,of my little toe on my left foot gets a hot spot fairly quickly. I tried a few sock and different insoles but just don't think they will end up not trashing my feet.

Now need to figure out what to try next