Scarpa break in?

Tsnider

WKR
Got some of the Kuiu Charmoz from another member on here. Im typically size 11.5-12, usually a 12. These Scarpas are size 12. Ive worn them around a little, no real hikes until this weekend. Got the Lahtrop and Sons insoles. I don't wear wide boots, but these seems like they are slightly tight on my little toe. I ended up doing a 12 mile round trip trek this weekend (i know i should have broke them in more before doing so) and my pinky toes got very slight blistering, my right heel got the worst of it.

does this sound like not broken in or too small of a boot? I have used UnderArmour boots since i started hunting and they have no break in pretty much and are really comfortable, they just fall apart fast so I'm switching up to a real boot. . So boot break in is new to me. These Scarpas are built like tanks and i like them, just trying to decide if i need a half size up.

how long is a break in period with this, how many miles, and will the toebox loosen up at all with time? thanks for helping with my ignorance.

I have a set of scarpas I use for work and I ordered a full size larger than I wear and haven't had a single problem. I also walked in them every night, for 3 miles prior to using them for work for almost four months. Even after owning them for a year and having close to 300 miles on them they are still pretty stiff, compared to any other boot I've owned.

Got some of the Kuiu Charmoz from another member on here. Im typically size 11.5-12, usually a 12. These Scarpas are size 12. Ive worn them around a little, no real hikes until this weekend. Got the Lahtrop and Sons insoles. I don't wear wide boots, but these seems like they are slightly tight on my little toe. I ended up doing a 12 mile round trip trek this weekend (i know i should have broke them in more before doing so) and my pinky toes got very slight blistering, my right heel got the worst of it.

does this sound like not broken in or too small of a boot? I have used UnderArmour boots since i started hunting and they have no break in pretty much and are really comfortable, they just fall apart fast so I'm switching up to a real boot. . So boot break in is new to me. These Scarpas are built like tanks and i like them, just trying to decide if i need a half size up.

how long is a break in period with this, how many miles, and will the toebox loosen up at all with time? thanks for helping with my ignorance.

break in period is non existant imop if boot is proper for your foot.... the correct sock is a contender as well for given situation. a sock that is super thin can create issues as you described. too narrow perhaps pinky toe, too long heel slip....

jtw

WKR
The charmoz don't really break in. Your issues sound like poor fit. If the heel slips and toes rub it doesn't fit well. Going up a size will make heel slip worse, going down will rub your toes more. Although, 12 miles on a new pair of boots is a lot for testing boots.

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
yeah i saw the other ways to lace up to eliminate the heel slip, but the toe issue is likley here to stay. doing 100 miles during september isnt going to work out with my piggies rubbin.

got these for 150 bucks on here with 5 miles on them in my size, so worth the try.

Weekender

WKR
yeah i saw the other ways to lace up to eliminate the heel slip, but the toe issue is likley here to stay. doing 100 miles during september isnt going to work out with my piggies rubbin.

got these for 150 bucks on here with 5 miles on them in my size, so worth the try.

If you have a local REI many of them have boots stretcher that can help if your boots are close to fitting. Might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a pair of charmoz. The fit seems fine. But on flat ground my small toes have some rubbing. So I don’t think they are gonna work

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Me and my Charmoz had a rough go for break in. And a ton of mine was in the toe box as well. I would say I hit the 30 mile mark before that toe box was ok for me, and it still was never really good that season.. I was an idiot and legitimately suffered until then. I would definitely recommend sizing up. I still wonder if my foot didn't conform to the toe box instead of the other way around.. they won't loosen up that much. I did like the boot for the most part but I wish I'd have sized up because of the toe box.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
My Scarpa Kinesis won't break in or soften up, but they fit me well. They don't seem to acquire any wear either. Damn tough boots.

Charmoz were the hardest on my heel of any boot I've tried.. might be a fit or doesn't type boot out of the gate.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider

I just got some scarpa's. More similar to the lighter weight ones on on Kuiu. They run a half to full size small. If you put you Lathrop and Sons in them I'd say a full size up. I blew it on mine and ordered a half size up. As soon as I put the Lathrop foot beds in the toe area is tight.

Flazer

FNG
I've got the same problem. Got a pair of the Charmoz from REI on clearance in about a 12.5 size (I wear between a 12 and 13 normally). They are a bit tight in the toe box, and cause a bit or rubbing. I'm within the year return window from REI and may just take them back. Having large feet sucks...half sizes rarely exist.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally think the Scarpas run small. What ever you think you were go up a half size. I try a size on, lace up and kick the toe against something hard, if my toes hit the front of the toe box, I move up a half size and try again. I go with the size that lets me pass this test and it always seems to work out.