Boot Recommendations

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone care to recommend a boot for me? I prefer a stiffer boot, a bit taller than a shorter hiker style boot, as ankle support is mandatory for me after breaking my ankles multiple times. These will be used primarily for elk hunting and general hiking/backpacking trips while scouting in the off-season.

I've had a pair of Meindl Denali boots for several years now and haven't had an issue. Good and ankle support and well built.

Last year I bought a pair of Scarpa Fuegos for work and they are really still but I do like them, especially in the cold weather.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I guess stiffness is somewhat subjective but I just bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4Ds from REI on sale or $175.00. I very impressed so far. Definitely not a mountaineering boot but they're pretty stiff by my standards.

wildcat33

WKR
Being a big fan of the Salomon 4D, I will offer up that I think they will be shorter than what you are looking for. I like tall boots and these are not tall, also, they are not that stiff compared to a full-strength mountain boot. How much are you willing to spend? If money is no object I would be looking at the Lathrop & Sons mtn hunters or something in the Crispi lineup to see what fit me best. A little on the cheaper side the Lowa Tibets are a classic and I also like the Meindl (Cabelas) Denali.

The Salamon boots are super comfortable right out of the box. Haven't hiked in them yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People love the salomons, but I tried 2 pairs of the quests and hated them both.

I've been wearing asolo drifters for 2 years and love them. Not sure if that's enough ankle support for you though

tttoadman

WKR
Is it bad enough to consider the Kenetrek with the removable rigid bars in the sides?

I agree stiffness is pretty subjective. I thought Lowa tibets and EVO hunters were stiff until I got the La Sportiva Nepals. The picture of a guy flat footed stuck to an ice wall with Sportiva Nepals on is pretty accurate. Not for everyone, but I prefer the super stiff boots. It is all a matter of your stride and the pace you like to keep in the woods. I have 2 speeds. pretty slow, and realllly slow. Long strides and stiff boots is not a good combination.

Take a serious look at the la Sportiva Trango cube GTX, I am loving the stiffness and support, but also light on the feet. They have fit me better than any other boot I've ever had, but go up a 1/2 size, they run small on everyone.

I like my L&S mountain hunters so far. They are very comfortable so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take a serious look at the la Sportiva Trango cube GTX, I am loving the stiffness and support, but also light on the feet. They have fit me better than any other boot I've ever had, but go up a 1/2 size, they run small on everyone.
In my experience they run a tad narrow too. Great boot, but keep that in mind as you consider options.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Zamberlan 980 Outfitters. They can be found at Sportmans Warehouse if you have one local. I have the lower ankle version and love them.