Anyone wearing Salomon Quest 4d 2 GTX?

grfox92

WKR
After reading through tons of threads on here, these seem to be one of the only highly recommended boots in my current price range.

I've been a die hard bowhunter in NY and CT for 18 years now. I typically wore mostly rubber boots my whole life while hunting. For shed hunting, scouting and colder temps I wore Cabelas Iron Ridge leather boots 800grams. I can't compare them yo a pair of Crispi or Meindl or Lowa, but I can tell you they have taken an insane amount of abuse, 1000s of miles over 6 years and are still going strong. Unfortunately they are no longer made by the same manufacturer and it seems the quality is not the same as it was, otherwise I would buy the uninsulated version without thinking twice.

This upcoming fall I am backpack hunting into a very remote area in the Adirondack Mountains. In 2018 I will be hunting NW Wyoming, 2019 either Idaho or Colorado.

I need good boots and my price range is currently under $200. I need to purchase a lot of gear before the fall gets here as it's my first time backpacking, and the budget is tight.

I've heard good things about the Solomon Quests, but I've also read some reviews stating that the soles fell off the boot after not much use. I would prefer a fully leather boot, but don't see much I. My price range with good reviews.

Any I insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like mine. I have one year of moderate use on mine. Very comfortable and surprisingly good traction. MY feet did get damp this spring after several days of hunting turkeys in the rain. Not soaked or unbearable but damp. I wear rubber to hunt deer and lowa tibets are my everyday work boots and for the rough stuff. I find myself wearing the salomons more and more for stuff around the house or just out hiking. PROBABLY the most comfortable boot out of the box I ever owned. I will buy another pair when these are shot.

They aren't the toughest boot built, but they are very comfortable and are available at a great price point if you shop around and are patient. Me, my girlfriend, son, son's girlfriend and some of my hunting buddies all own these boots and are very happy with them. I just bought my son a new pair from Webtogs, great price, Amazon also has some good prices.
I'm also a big fan of Salewa boots which I can generally find at a good price point on Amazon. I like the Salewa MTN Trainer and Alp Trainer. I find the MTN to be a little more robust than the Salomon and the Alp to be about equal to the Salomon.

If you're an Amazon Prime member, ordering from them can be very beneficial because of the no cost/quick shipping and easy returns. You could order 2 or 3 different pairs of boots, try them all on, wear them around the house and then return the one's that you don't like, all at very little or no cost to you in the end (I've done it).

WebTogs - Outdoor Clothing, Footwear and Equipment

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as the OP and have been looking at the Salomon Quests and Lowa Renegades. How do these hiking boots compare to Danner Pronghorns or Irish Setter Vaprtreks?

Dameon

WKR
The Salomon Quests are a step up above the Pronghorns. The Quests are light and decently supportive without being too stiff. I wish they had better waterproofing as my feet do get damp crossing shallow streams or trekking through wet tall grass all day, but they are still better than the pronghorns. I have been very happy with mine for what they cost me, but I'm going with the Crispi Summits for my next elk hunting trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few pairs, I seem to always buy a pair here and there when I find a good sale. They're lightweight & comfortable. They are by far not a long lasting boot, but for the cost, comfort and lightweight I have no problem buying a fresh pair every season. Webtogs has them for roughly $140 and if you want to play it safe and get them at rei, they're 25% off ending tomorrow.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
So, I had a pair of the 3d Comets and haaated them. I wear Salomon 3d shoes and Speedcross 4's for working out. So I was always bummed about the poor performance in the boots. Well 2 days ago I went to REI and used the 25% sale and my member rewards and got a pair of the 4d GTX's.
Today is day 2 of bear hunting in coastal Oregon with them and I am super happy so far. I've put about 10 miles on them and they are great.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Great info guys thanks! Is there anyway to better waterproof these boots? Down the road if needed? I know there are plenty of options for leather...any legitimate options for synthetics?

Jauwater

WKR
I love mine as well. I got at least 300 miles of trail on mine. Many more miles wearing around town. The Contra grip works well. Insoles are great in my opinion. I'll be purchasing Salomon boots again when needed.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
Great info guys thanks! Is there anyway to better waterproof these boots? Down the road if needed? I know there are plenty of options for leather...any legitimate options for synthetics?

CampDry waterproofing spray or something similar will work, but I feel it reduces the breathability. The Quests are a great boot as is and cover over 99% of my needs, but I ain't going to lie.....I just want the Crispi Summits. I'm a big fan of Camofire, BlackOvis, and all of the support Kendall Card and company give to the hunting community and I want to support them and the Summits are like the tank proof version of the Quests. I'll own a pair next year for my next elk hunting trip, but until then I will continue beating the bush with my Quests because they are a great comfortable lightweight boot that cover all of my needs here in Missouri. Buy the Quests with confidence, you will most likely get your money out of them and they will serve you well under most situations.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
CampDry waterproofing spray or something similar will work, but I feel it reduces the breathability. The Quests are a great boot as is and cover over 99% of my needs, but I ain't going to lie.....I just want the Crispi Summits. I'm a big fan of Camofire, BlackOvis, and all of the support Kendall Card and company give to the hunting community and I want to support them and the Summits are like the tank proof version of the Quests. I'll own a pair next year for my next elk hunting trip, but until then I will continue beating the bush with my Quests because they are a great comfortable lightweight boot that cover all of my needs here in Missouri. Buy the Quests with confidence, you will most likely get your money out of them and they will serve you well under most situations.

Thanks brother.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Just ordered the Solomon's on amazon for $129 on prime. Thanks guys!

ChrisS

WKR
Just ordered the Solomon's on amazon for $129 on prime. Thanks guys!

That's a good price. I've tried the full leather boots and I think they're harder to find a great fit (especially with a full rand). I went to Solomon's this year and so far so good (though it seems like their laces are coated with teflon - replace those). If you need waterproof, muck or rubber boots are the only way to go, IMO. I'm careful crossing streams and swampy areas, but the GTX liner will eventually wear out in spots. It's just how it is.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair at REI about two weeks ago on sale for about $175. I haven't worn them a ton. I've got probably five miles of general walking and I did a 4 mile/hike climb with a 50 pound pack. Pretty impressed so far. These are my first "western" hunting boot but I've owned Danners, Rockys, Wolverines, and several other boots. The fit on these for me is great and they are pretty lightweight given how supportive they are. I've heard the aren't that durable and the waterproofing eventually gives out. We'll see how it goes.

Beendare

WKR
The gore tex in all of the boots I've owned have been good for about 1 year. Sure it wears out with flexing rubbing of a used boot. The Cabelas boot buyer told me years ago; Goretex= one year for the avg guy.

Some of my full leather boots stay waterproof longer due to the outer leather taking the different waterproof treatments better is all....even though the gore layer had failed.

topher89

WKR
Loved the fit and the look and have had two pairs. The first pair lasted 75ish miles before they started leaking. Returned those to REI. Second pair has been better but I had to start deep cleaning and treating them constantly to keep them from wetting out.

Made the switch to some Lowa Trekkers and now the Crispi Wyomings. I really did like the Salomons but the leaking kept them from becoming my boot.

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn these the last three years, Spring through September and have enjoyed the fit and support. For the price, they are good for what they are. My biggest complaint is that they have not maintained their waterproofness after very little time in the field even though I have always been diligent in cleaning and treating the boots.

ianpadron

WKR
super comfy out of the box. I put a couple hundred miles on mine before they started leaking. Pretty common for them to start wetting out I guess. I returned mine to GoreTex.