How do you stalk: Safari Sneakers? Rimrok Stalkers? Socks? Boos?

Roksliders.

So I have been researching how to best muffle my final approach/stalk while archery hunting. I watched all kinds of videos, have conducted my own stalks and wonder am I missing anything?

I have done a couple of stalks with just my boots. Which seemed to work fine, but my friends, who are long time archery hunters, stated I MUST get "bears feet". Those aren't made anymore but I did find a substitute in the Safari Sneakers (Safari Sneakers | Sportsman's Warehouse). They simply cover your boots to muffle your steps.

Then I found the RimRok Stalkers, which are really just built up socks that replace your boots. (Rimrok Stalkers)

So does anyone have experience with any of the above products? Is any of it necessary or helpful?

I get that the terrain, weather, vegetation, ground condition would determine my use of these products, but wanted to find out more about the experiences people have had on here before I make a purchase. I really am not leaning any direction. Any help would be appreciated

Dameon

WKR
I use Creepers from DayOne Camouflage. I had Gary make me up an insulated set in ASAT so I can use them here in MO for late season whitetail and for stalking elk.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I put the final stalk on in whatever socks I am wearing. Less hassle because you just have to shed your boots. I hunt in areas with some cactus, but find that I am going slow to not make noise, and haven't stepped on one yet because I watch every footfall. Also, with just a sock your feet can feel the terrain extremely well, which is helpful incase your eyes miss something that would make a lot of noise. I also find that if you tuck your pant legs in, you will make even less noise, as the profile of your leg is a bit smaller.

Btaylor

WKR
Leather mocassins are really quiet and like socks let you feel the ground very well. Sure wouldn't take up much pack space either. Haven't had a pair in a long time but the thread made me think back on them.

i have these sneek ez berber fleece booties.
Products - SneekTec
i think they are called sneek tec now. theyre really quiet but just look kinda goofy. they work really well though, quieter than boots off. you can get away with walking on dry leaves or lots of sticks i usually just wait to put them on once i got a deer spotted and i start a stalk or they are great for still hunting. just slip right over your boots, about same time as taking your boots off. only gripe is i hunt in 80-90 degree heat and my feet can get kinda hot if i wear them for too long as they kind of act as an insulation layer

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry an extra pair of thick wool socks that I'll throw on over my regular socks and tuck my pants into. Silent as can be and helps keep the bottom of your pants at bay as well. After 1 hunt or a stalk through rough terrain they're pretty trashed so I go into it considering them disposable. Always have plenty old ones sitting around the house. That's my 2 cents! Good hunting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
NevadaZielmeister
i have these sneek ez berber fleece booties.
Products - SneekTec
i think they are called sneek tec now. theyre really quiet but just look kinda goofy. they work really well though, quieter than boots off. you can get away with walking on dry leaves or lots of sticks i usually just wait to put them on once i got a deer spotted and i start a stalk or they are great for still hunting. just slip right over your boots, about same time as taking your boots off. only gripe is i hunt in 80-90 degree heat and my feet can get kinda hot if i wear them for too long as they kind of act as an insulation layer

I ended up giving these a try and while they were super quiet, I have on gripe. They can be really difficult to get off and on and the biggest issue, they get slippery. I had some pretty rugged country and found myself slipping more than once. It was pretty scary when they would slip out from under me. The nice thing was I could use them as a pillow and a seat pad when not being used for stalking, which was a plus. But even then I eventually used a foam sleeping pad cut up to replace them for that unintended purpose.

OP
NevadaZielmeister
Anyone else get a chance to use the Rimrok Stalkers? I think those might work better, but wanted to hear about some first hand experience.

I have an idiot friend that stalks in crocs. I laughed until it worked.

I am curious if anyone has tried minimalist shoes for stalking.

Trial153

WKR
I use Vibram Five finger trek ascents. Been using them for a few year and they work fantastic. They are light weight and insulated. They take up no pack space at all. I like them much better then carrying extra old socks. Easier on your feet and more practical.
I wear them the last 200 yards getting into bow range.they are very quite yet they are substantial enough that I am not getting thorns or cactus in my feet and socks. Further more they are substantial enough that if I have to make a move I can forgo switching back to my boots. The sole is quite yet it does give you decent traction. The insulation is enough so you don’t freeze you nuts off but I wouldn’t want to stay with out moving for hours on end. They double up as a decent dry weather camp shoe as well...gives my feet a boot break when I unpack and set up camp.

I wore them a bit at home and out to get used to them and size them up, much to my wife dismay.

MattB

WKR
Crocs can be pretty squeaky and don't have great grip. I've pondered that strategy myself and played around with my crocs. It sounds like a better idea than it is IMO. I just wear my boots and go very slowly. I've tried Bear's Feet and the like and while they work they don't grip well which can make more noise than they muffle.

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve done the wool sock thing for years. My buddies thought I was nuts at first till they started seeing me fill tags in tough conditions. Only takes one time of loosing your boots to figure out that you should stuff them in your pack before stalking :) We’re all much more careful about the details nowadays.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a pair of neoprene snorkeling/dive booties. They have a thin rubber sole that grips well, yet allows you to feel everything underfoot. I used this method on a warm day in GA to stalk across a fallen tree across a deep creek to within 30 yards of a deer that didn't even know I was there. After she took a dirt nap, her acorn eating club knew I was there for sure. This is a pair similar to mine. They only weigh 6 ounces and can fit anywhere in a pack. You do have to strip your boots and socks but will keep your feet warm if you step in snow or a shallow puddle.
Amazon.com : Phantom Aquatics 3mm Surf Snorkeling Dive Boots : Sports & Outdoors

I have also done the stalk in socks thing. Across the same tree and it worked well. Only they don't keep you as warm when wet.

Azbowhunt

FNG
I use a pair of sanuk closed toe sandals. They are canvas, quick and easy to throw on, light, cheap and compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I wear my boots. If I blow a stalk it's usually because they see me, not hear me. I'm also not trying to get within 30 yards. Around 50 with good lanes I'm stopping