Scarpa Boots

So I saw the Scarpa boots on Kuiu's website today but have never heard of them before. Anyone have any info on these? Has anyone tried these boots out? Anything good or bad to say about them?

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
So I saw the Scarpa boots on Kuiu's website today but have never heard of them before. Anyone have any info on these? Has anyone tried these boots out? Anything good or bad to say about them?

I tried on the hiker style one yesterday for an hour +. They're light and comfortable, but weren't stiff enough in my ankles for adequate support. If you have strong ankles and want something more comfortable for flatter terrain they could be for you. Supposed to dry out very fast. The new 'sock fit' deal was really comfortable as well! Wanted to wear the Rebel K's but they hadn't been delivered yet.

If you aren't carrying loads they're good, but to me seem just like an excellent hiking boot, not necessarily hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a pair of size 43. They are an excellent boot. Stout as all get out. Be perfect for a pack hunting situation. They are just a 1/2 size small for me. If they are your size and want to see them or discuss pm me. They are as good as any of the other four or five top tier boots in my opinion.

OP
MuleDeerMike
I tried on the hiker style one yesterday for an hour +. They're light and comfortable, but weren't stiff enough in my ankles for adequate support. If you have strong ankles and want something more comfortable for flatter terrain they could be for you. Supposed to dry out very fast. The new 'sock fit' deal was really comfortable as well! Wanted to wear the Rebel K's but they hadn't been delivered yet.

If you aren't carrying loads they're good, but to me seem just like an excellent hiking boot, not necessarily hunting.

Thanks for the insight. Was it the R-Evolution?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
MuleDeerMike
i have a pair of size 43. They are an excellent boot. Stout as all get out. Be perfect for a pack hunting situation. They are just a 1/2 size small for me. If they are your size and want to see them or discuss pm me. They are as good as any of the other four or five top tier boots in my opinion.
43 would be a size 10? Which boot is it?

OP
MuleDeerMike
I was able try on both the R-evolution and the Rebel K today. I don't always buy into higher price =way better but the Rebel K was, IMO, way more comfortable and sturdy than the r-evolution. The way the boot laces up was slightly different, allowing for a much better fit for me with no heel slip and more support. Both boots felt super light too which was nice. Also, had to go a half size up in sizing. I was really hoping I'd like the r-evolution but the Rebel K is without a doubt the boot that I would buy out of the two.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

The R-evolution are a great boot. I used them last year for off trail mule deer and elk in rugged country and they worked really well. Not super stiff, but stiff enough and light.

You can buy the exact same boot without "KUIU" printed on it everywhere Scarpa boots are sold, unless you really want that brand on your boots!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The R-evolution are a great boot. I used them last year for off trail mule deer and elk in rugged country and they worked really well. Not super stiff, but stiff enough and light.

You can buy the exact same boot without "KUIU" printed on it everywhere Scarpa boots are sold, unless you really want that brand on your boots!

Can you? I think Kuiu is releasing the Euro version, but fully synthetic with different fabrics. There's a less robust US version under the R Evolution name, which makes it confusing. I don't think Scarpa prints Kuiu on them anywhere.....anyways, not trying to be a jerk, just figured I'd clarify a few things based on what I've seen. They seem like a good boot, but overhyped in the typical Kuiu "extreme" marketing fashion.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can you? I think Kuiu is releasing the Euro version, but fully synthetic with different fabrics. There's a less robust US version under the R Evolution name, which makes it confusing. I don't think Scarpa prints Kuiu on them anywhere.....anyways, not trying to be a jerk, just figured I'd clarify a few things based on what I've seen. They seem like a good boot, but overhyped in the typical Kuiu "extreme" marketing fashion.

My bad! I was referring to the scarpa r-evolution "plus gtx" as the boot I've used. Sorry for the confusion. I'm sure both versions are good. I prefer a leather hiking boot in rocky country and the plus GTX version didn't disappoint.

OP
MuleDeerMike

The name doesn't matter to me, it's all about the fit and functionality. But it looks like the Rebel K is specific to Kuiu, as I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Anyone know if this is true?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The name doesn't matter to me, it's all about the fit and functionality. But it looks like the Rebel K is specific to Kuiu, as I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Anyone know if this is true?

Totally agree - my point above was the Kuiu boot is something entirely new to the US. Brad no worries at all, their naming is kind of crazy and confusing, I just wanted to offer a little more clarity as I've been following the release and plan to get some of these boots.

Exclusive to Kuiu - that's what they have said, all 3 of those boots are a collaboration between them and scrapa, so "custom" to them. I heard Brendon Burns talk about them on a podcast, he said the rebel K's are a custom upper with the Charmoz sole/footbed/last.

OP
MuleDeerMike
Totally agree - my point above was the Kuiu boot is something entirely new to the US. Brad no worries at all, their naming is kind of crazy and confusing, I just wanted to offer a little more clarity as I've been following the release and plan to get some of these boots.

Exclusive to Kuiu - that's what they have said, all 3 of those boots are a collaboration between them and scrapa, so "custom" to them. I heard Brendon Burns talk about them on a podcast, he said the rebel K's are a custom upper with the Charmoz sole/footbed/last.
I should've tried on the Charmoz when I had the chance, seeing as they're on closeout sale now. I'm convinced that the way the Rebel K laces up is a huge factor in its comfort and sturdiness. I didn't check if the Charmoz laced the same but it sounds like the bottom halves of the Rebel K and Charmoz are the same exact boot, so they probably upgraded the lacing on the Rebel K.

bates

WKR
i agree that the rebel k are very impressive

i have tried alot of boots and was surprised by these, they did a great job.

definitely a boot to try and if they fit your feet then a great option for this fall.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

If Scarpa makes it I have no doubt it's a quality boot. My two cents is the KUIU branding is mostly marketing, and Scarpa has been making high end boots for hunters for a long time. Not trying to be negative, just my opinion.

Daniel_M

WKR
Can anyone comment regarding the Scarpa fit, from one model to another?

I've had trouble with sizing, but the Scarpa Kinesis fit like a glove due to the slimmer footbed compared to a Lowa.

I've considered checking out a synthetic, specifically the Mont Blanc which I can try on locally.

OP
MuleDeerMike
Can anyone comment regarding the Scarpa fit, from one model to another?

I've had trouble with sizing, but the Scarpa Kinesis fit like a glove due to the slimmer footbed compared to a Lowa.

I've considered checking out a synthetic, specifically the Mont Blanc which I can try on locally.

I wear size 10 but the R-evolution and rebel K both fit better in the 10 1/2.

Daniel_M

WKR

Gotcha. I'm a fair 13.5 and roll a 14 Scarpa...Not the case with almost all other boots I've tried and no one makes a half size so the Scarpa footbed has worked well for me.

seems odd.... they feel big to me. i have the kuiu version of the r evolution and feels more roomy than my other boots. a superfeet trail or guide makes them feel more correct. i think ill order the rebel k tonite. for others who have stated... there is no kuiu branding on them. there just scarpa boots with a twist...... new colorway and slightly altered. to give respect the late Ueli Steck had designed a fair amount of the scarpa alpine boots. i had the scarpa rebel pro Ueli designed and its fits perfect but a bit too stiff if you have to ascend through more level terrain to the alpine for a one boot quiver. i really liked the fit. the rebel k may be the stuff.................. i am a kryptek user so kuiu or whatever...... good boots are good boots... scarpa is a great boot and the more subtle colorway is a bonus on these new offerings.

Scarpa has been around a long time. I had three pair of their hiking boots since 1997 and back then, They were top shelf for backpacking. I am not familiar with their current offerings but they are one hell of a boot maker.