Crispi Wyoming Boot Review, by Les Welch

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders, not sure if you've been following Les's "New Year, New Season" thread? If not, you might not know the extent to which Les punishes his gear in his quest to hunt the West. His latest review is on the Crispi Wyoming.

If you are in the market for an uninsulated, easy-to-break-in boot this is your review:

attachment.php

Review: Crispi Wyoming Boot

topher89

WKR
Great review! I just got a pair and put 7 off trail shed hunting miles on them for their first trip and they were perfect.

How were they in the snow? I bought the Wyomings with the idea that I may buy something insulated like the Guides this fall for the later seasons. I usually hunt 3rd season deer and late season elk here in Colorado (early to mid November). Will they be warm enough if I am alternating sitting and hiking?

Great review! I just got a pair and put 7 off trail shed hunting miles on them for their first trip and they were perfect.

How were they in the snow? I bought the Wyomings with the idea that I may buy something insulated like the Guides this fall for the later seasons. I usually hunt 3rd season deer and late season elk here in Colorado (early to mid November). Will they be warm enough if I am alternating sitting and hiking?

I dont have the Wyomings, but I do have the Guides and wore them for all my November black powder elk hunting this past season. I was definitely glad I had the insulation in these... my Asolo Fugitives (similar style to the Wyomings) would not have been warm enough. For the way I hunt, lots of walking and then sitting for 20-60 minutes, the Guides were great.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's a tough question that there really isn't a good answer for. People, circulation, and body types all differ so greatly that it is individually dependent. They worked great for me on the snow/ice in the 20's, but I was constantly moving. I know for me I would want to have a little insulation if I was going to be sitting during usual 3-4th season CO temps.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That's a tough question that there really isn't a good answer for. People, circulation, and body types all differ so greatly that it is individually dependent. They worked great for me on the snow/ice in the 20's, but I was constantly moving. I know for me I would want to have a little insulation if I was going to be sitting during usual 3-4th season CO temps.

I agree Les. I used to wear 200gm thinsulate Danners in November and if I was hiking, they were OK. But terrible for inactive hunting.

ktowncamo

WKR

I used mine last year throughout the season (CO high country basically out of the box, UT elk, ID elk, etc) and then used them for Chuckar hunting in Dec. It was a sunny but cold day with snow/open hills. Temps in the low 40's max. Felt pretty good but I did get a little cold when it came time to sit and eat lunch.

When the snow flies, I bring out the Nevada with a gaiter and run those without worry. The Guides is a good choice as well.

tito_zako

FNG
hello, you guys with the wyoming's, have you noticed any wear on the seams/stiches? there seems to be a lot of stitching going on towards the front of the boot, I wonder how long it will last!

hello, you guys with the wyoming's, have you noticed any wear on the seams/stiches? there seems to be a lot of stitching going on towards the front of the boot, I wonder how long it will last!

For what I paid, they better last forever. I got mine in a few weeks ago and absolutely love them. I don't think I have had a boot feel so good right out of the box before.

I was a bit concerned about the height of the boot regarding ankle support, but that was quickly dismissed once I hit the trail. Going down hill I felt way more stability than other books I've been trying. I only have about 20 miles on them but they are certainly my go too.

I am very pleased with the purchased. I am excited to get them in the elk woods!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Les

Those boots still treating you well?

My recent scouting trip has shown I need new boots! I am looking to pull the trigger so I have time to break new boots in. THX in advance!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. I love them. I'll be putting lots of mileage in them in your map areas. Call you soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tito_zako

FNG
Yes. I love them. I'll be putting lots of mileage in them in your map areas. Call you soon.

What do you think of the ankle support? I just got a pair, and they seem pretty flimsy out of the box!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a boot of this height, it's actually more support than most. No it is definitely not as much support as a taller boot. However unless you are sheep hunting, or in a lot of scree, it's plenty even for heavy loads on side hills.

colersu22

WKR
You mentioned you got the Crispi's in an 11 and wished you got the 10.5, where the Lowa Renegades 10.5's or 11's?

Jbark60

FNG
Crispi Dakota GTX

Les,

I wish you would've posted this about two weeks ago but I bought a pair of the Dakota GTX and can say safely they are the worst boots I have ever owned. A short 9 mile hike ended with two rolled ankles and plenty of blisters. I can appreciate if I was new to hiking but I spend about 100 days a year and well over 1000 miles on boots and have never had an issue like this with a pair. I usually go with Meindl's but I won a $150 gift card at the Full Draw Film tour and thought I would give these a try, and apparently I went with the wrong model. If you don't plan on hiking rough terrain I suppose the Dakota's would be fine, but if there are elevation gains or rocks they are terrible.
I emailed customer service and was told to buy some inserts, great help.

bushman

FNG
just got back from a week in Idaho. We endured several days of snow and rain. My Crispi Wyoming's failed me miserably. I purposely bought these boots because I am tired of wet feet. I paid over 300 bucks for them and still have wet feet. A buddy of mine have the Idahos and his feet stayed dry, but he didn't hunt in the weather like I did. I have another friend that hunted with me who had Miendehl Perfekts, and his feet stayed dry and warm. The wyomings are a sturdy comfortable boot but not worth a crap when they get saturated with water. If you are a fair weather hunter get them. If you hunt hard and depend on them to stay dry in adverse conditions get something different.

Bacwest

FNG
I have had the Wyoming's for a couple months now and am impressed. They are lighter than Meindl perfekt and the fit is similar, which is what I like. I have taken them in snow,rain,and across creeks and they've performed very well. I'm looking forward to a hardcore test once spring comes but I think they'll perform well. I hate switching and have always ran Meindl but I figured it's time as meindls only last me a few hundred miles before falling apart. The last pair the rubber band peeled away from boot....I think the Crispi is built better when I set them side x side.

wyodan

WKR
Has anyone worn both the Wyoming and the Summit? How would they compare?