Schnees Beartooth vs Granite

I'm looking for the equivalent stiffness of a Lowa Tibet in a taller insulated boot.
Is the Granite gonna be too stiff in comparison?
I'm basicaly looking for a replacement for Lowa EVO Hunter Extremes.

Thoughts and input please.

Last edited:

jwb300

WKR
I can't help you personally but the Journal of Mountain Hunting just did a podcast on boot fit with Schnees and they speak about the two boots you mention

I have had both. Currently I run the Granite. I LOVED the beartooth but the toe box would pinch my toes fiercely when I crouched down. The stiffness in the Granite doesn't bother me and I couldn't be happier. The Granite is 200 g insulated. However the boot breathes incredibly and even here in Texas I don't find my feet sweating at all with the Granite.

Either one and you'll be happy.

chasewild

WKR
I wear the Absaroka High's (not made any more) which are a touch stiffer than the Beartooth but not as stiff as the Granite. I think the Granites are the way to go if you plan on steep side hills, shale, heavy packs on steep climbs, etc. My Absaroka's are unbelievably comfortable though. The leather, the narrow fit, and the lace system are just incredible.

My partner wears the Lowa GTX. He loves them through and through.

As usual...depends on your foot though.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I have tried a couple different pair of Lowa's - really well made but just don't fit my feet well. I have never kept a pair for myself although I did buy my wife a pair that she loves.

I have a pair of the Granite's. Nice thick stiff upper that does take some breaking in. The shank is not a stiff as the upper would indicate in my mind, however, still fairly stiff, just not full on mountaineering boot stiff. The insulation/padding/liner on the tongue is a little weird. It wads up at first and created some hot spots for me. I started to skip some laces to minimize that for a while. That has pretty well worked itself out. The best thing about them is the eVent liner. Breathes great and not particularly warm even on hot days. The support in the upper for your ankle is also superior with the stiff upper. Overall a pretty comfortable boot. Heel cup is a little wide for me but it's not a deal breaker for me on this boot.

Comparing to the Lowa, overall I'd say the Granite's are a little stiffer - if for no other reason because of the stiffness in the upper.

Tiger Rag

WKR
A couple of additional points. Schnee's makes a big deal out of their Vibram Tsavo outsole. I'll say this is for good reason. It is compliant enough to grab well in the rocks and loose footing. I know they also said, while making it soft, they requested a special formulation from Vibram to find a happy medium to make it durable as well. I can't speak toward that yet, I don't have all that many miles on them yet.

I also just received a new Schee's catalog today to see a "new" Granite II. Looks nice, not much change in appearance. Biggest things I notice are that it is now a waxed nubuck instead of a finished leather. Looks like they are calling this "waxed Yukon leather." I also notice some gray PU inserts in the sole now calling it dual density.

The biggest change that jumped out at me was that now the liner they are using OutDry instead of eVent. That would be a big concern to me. The eVent membrane is the main reason I bought this boot. In my opinion, it is by far the best membrane for breathability while maintaining waterproofness. I initially confused the OutDry with the B-dry that Oboz uses which I feel is a horrible sweat box of a membrane that I cannot notice any appreciable breathability (like having a plastic bag on your foot). OutDry may be fine, I have not had it in any garment or footwear that I can recall. It is worth noting and researching the membrane at least.

Good luck with your decision!

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm looking for the equivalent stiffness of a Lowa Tibet in a taller insulated boot.
Is the Granite gonna be too stiff in comparison?
I'm basically looking for a replacement for Lowa EVO Hunter Extremes.

Thoughts and input please.

Hello and thank you for checking out our boots! In addition to our own boots, we also sell everything else out there, including the Lowa's. I went down stairs and grabbed one to compare with the Granite and Beartooth. The stiffness almost seems to perfectly split our boots. Stiffer than the Beartooth, but barely less rigid than the Granite. If it were me, I would go with the Granite.

If you have any other questions or need any help at all, shoot me a PM.

thanks
Matt

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A couple of additional points. Schnee's makes a big deal out of their Vibram Tsavo outsole. I'll say this is for good reason. It is compliant enough to grab well in the rocks and loose footing. I know they also said, while making it soft, they requested a special formulation from Vibram to find a happy medium to make it durable as well. I can't speak toward that yet, I don't have all that many miles on them yet.

I also just received a new Schnee's catalog today to see a "new" Granite II. Looks nice, not much change in appearance. Biggest things I notice are that it is now a waxed nubuck instead of a finished leather. Looks like they are calling this "waxed Yukon leather." I also notice some gray PU inserts in the sole now calling it dual density.

The biggest change that jumped out at me was that now the liner they are using OutDry instead of eVent. That would be a big concern to me. The eVent membrane is the main reason I bought this boot. In my opinion, it is by far the best membrane for breathability while maintaining waterproofness. I initially confused the OutDry with the B-dry that Oboz uses which I feel is a horrible sweat box of a membrane that I cannot notice any appreciable breathability (like having a plastic bag on your foot). OutDry may be fine, I have not had it in any garment or footwear that I can recall. It is worth noting and researching the membrane at least.

Good luck with your decision!

Good eye Tiger. ;)

I had initially planned a special release of all our new boots to Rokslide first, then everyone else...but that didn't work out. Anyway, the new Granite II is a beast of a boot. The feel, quality and durability of the new leather is really without equal right now. The new dual density midsole offers great support and comfort for all day hikes. And I can definitely say that the new membrane works...very well. I took a pair of boots out and stomped around in a creek for 45min the other day and had dry feet.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Matt when will you have the Beartooth back in stock?

Right now it's looking like early to mid July. I will do my best to keep everyone updated. I do sincerely apologize to anyone that has been waiting a while for your boots. I think demand was completely under estimated and moving forward, supply should not be an issue.

If anyone has any questions or anything, just shoot me a PM and I'll do whatever I can to help you out.

thanks
Matt