Astral Water Shoes

Jauwater

WKR
Anyone tried the Astral Brand water shoes? Thinking about picking a pair up for hiking, and fishing. Really curious how your feet feel after several miles? Thanks

- Jacob

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried the Astral Brand water shoes? Thinking about picking a pair up for hiking, and fishing. Really curious how your feet feel after several miles? Thanks

- Jacob

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Hey man did you ever try a pair of these Astral Loyak water shoes? I have been doing a lot of research and they got RAVE REVIEWS!!!! Would you recommend them? only problem is I wish they were made in USA..NOT!!!

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
I did try a pair, but I cant remember which ones they were now. Overall the shoe was very comfortable for short periods of time. the soles are like a soft rubber so once your feet get wet or sweaty your feet slide around when walking on any type of slope. Id tie the shoes really tight to try to mitigate that issue but the light weight fabric doesnt hold its structure very well, so you get that foot shifting on the soles when walking hills. Day to day I liked wearing them. They are extremely light weight. They dry fast. I feel like they held up pretty well. The shoes demise was I took them on a thru hike, and after 300 miles I was developing blisters on my feet in spots Id never develop blisters before. Next town I passed thru they were left in a trash can somewhere. Id buy another pair again, but Id probably wear them as a more casual shoe.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I did try a pair, but I cant remember which ones they were now. Overall the shoe was very comfortable for short periods of time. the soles are like a soft rubber so once your feet get wet or sweaty your feet slide around when walking on any type of slope. Id tie the shoes really tight to try to mitigate that issue but the light weight fabric doesnt hold its structure very well, so you get that foot shifting on the soles when walking hills. Day to day I liked wearing them. They are extremely light weight. They dry fast. I feel like they held up pretty well. The shoes demise was I took them on a thru hike, and after 300 miles I was developing blisters on my feet in spots Id never develop blisters before. Next town I passed thru they were left in a trash can somewhere. Id buy another pair again, but Id probably wear them as a more casual shoe.

WOW!! I am really glad I asked you lol..I wonder if the rubber insoles can be removed? although you would lose some support, but when pack rafting I may just remove the rubber insoles..idk? I plan on doing the PCT maybe next year and was hoping this would do the trick..what are or would you use now if you had to do it all over again..I'm gonna try the Five fingers KSO (keeps stuff out) model water shoe and see how that goes..it DOES have a Vibram sole going for it! decisions, decisions..lol Thanks for responding i really appreciate it!

gelton

WKR
WOW!! I am really glad I asked you lol..I wonder if the rubber insoles can be removed? although you would lose some support, but when pack rafting I may just remove the rubber insoles..idk? I plan on doing the PCT maybe next year and was hoping this would do the trick..what are or would you use now if you had to do it all over again..I'm gonna try the Five fingers KSO (keeps stuff out) model water shoe and see how that goes..it DOES have a Vibram sole going for it! decisions, decisions..lol Thanks for responding i really appreciate it!

Check out OluKai

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
on a rafting trip theyd be a decent shoe, Id think. The pair I had the sole of the shoe and the insole were one piece. The slipping didnt become really annoying till I put real miles on them, and the blisters followed. So if you were just wearing them rafting and keeping your walking mileage under 5 miles I thonk theyd do fine. Definitely wouldnt recommend them for thru hiking. I think at the time I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peaks to finish the hike. After that I went thru a couple pairs of UA Horizon Hiking shoes. Currentyl using the La Sportiva Bushido 2 trail runners. I basically look for a light weight, rugged sole, well fitted shoe. something you dont have to tie to tight to keep them from moving around on your feet. Most of my hiking sneakers i dont even tie. I just look for a shoe that fits well without having to compress the shoe on my foot by using the laces. Alot of light weight hiking shoes dry fast while wearing so typically by next morning your slipping on a fairly dry comfortable shoe. I have some five finger shoes I use fly fishing. Ive walked many miles of rivers using the vibram 5 toe shoes which I still use. Your feet can get beat up slipping off or rocks while trying to walk the river but i dont remember the shoes them selves ever damaging my feet. I wouldnt thru hike in them but i know people who have. But I know people who have thru hiked in Astrals too. dunno if the shoes finished with them but I know people who atleast started with them like i did.

gelton

WKR
Which model the Nohea Moku? Thanks for the recommendation..
I have the nohea mesh loafer they are extremely comfortable and breathable but I bought them to wear around the house, while technically a "water shoe" I would get one of their other offerings if they were for strictly water shoe use.