Need boot and blister advice

I've had a pair of Vasque Talus Trek hikers for the past two seasons and I've walked idk how many hundreds of miles in them. The only time I ever got a heel blister was the one time that I put a Dr Scholls insole in, just to see how it compared to the factory insole. I do however get sore spots on my big toes and the balls of my feet in them from the boots being very flexible and light. I can also feel every rock under my foot which can be brutal after an entire day of hiking off trail. It's always been manageable and it's never taken me out of the hunt before, but I'm ready to upgrade. Recently, I've been trying out several different high end boot brands to upgrade to a stiffer boot with a more robust sole and midsole. Every boot I've tried has given me bad heel blisters when hiking with weight. My toes are not being scrunched in the toe box and the downhills aren't bad, other than the heels, so I think the fit is correct. So my question is, should I try a different high end insole or just keep trying out different boots or am I stuck with the light hiker Vasques? Pretty frustrated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have had really great success with "Heel the pain" insoles. They are full length, and offer great support for the arch, heel, and forefoot. I have several pairs, and recommend them highly.

OP
MuleDeerMike
I have had really great success with "Heel the pain" insoles. They are full length, and offer great support for the arch, heel, and forefoot. I have several pairs, and recommend them highly.
Thanks, I'll check those out!

wapitibob

WKR
A strip of 3/4" Gorilla tape from home depot or Ace down the back of the heel works very well. Duct tape doesn't stick. Leukotape also works well.
A softer insole like DR Scholes athletic or Lathrop should eliminate the bottom of the toe hot spots.

tttoadman

WKR
I suffered just like you in the balls of my feet and the bottoms of my toes until I got a stiff boot like a Lowa Tibet. If you don't get blisters on your heels until you put in the padded insole, I wonder if you are lifting your heel too high in the heel pocket. The high quality boots have the big heel relief "pocket", and will always lean slightly forward. I crank my heel locks down until it hurts my feet when I first put them on. The other thing that will make heel blisters is striding like you have slippers on when stiff boots are not made to walk that way. I can cover about 2 miles per hour for basically unlimited distance with any of my stiff boots on without issue. If I go much faster than that, I instantly start getting hot on the heels.

OP
MuleDeerMike
I need some opinions. If a boot gives me a heel blister or hot spot on their first hike, say only 3 miles, then should I wait it out and try to break them in before returning them or should I just move on to trying another boot? Basically, are blisters in the first few miles an automatic no-go for that boot for you guys?

tttoadman

WKR
I need some opinions. If a boot gives me a heel blister or hot spot on their first hike, say only 3 miles, then should I wait it out and try to break them in before returning them or should I just move on to trying another boot? Basically, are blisters in the first few miles an automatic no-go for that boot for you guys?

After experiencing my success with Lowa Tibets, I would give a pair of boots only a few days. If I couldn't get them adjusted with lacing or insoles quickly, they would be gone.

Depends on the hike. If it has some tough uphill in it I wouldn't necessarily be all that concerned. If it was s pretty mellow joke and I blistered them I would be worried.

Try some different lacing techniques next hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same problems as you. Too light a boot and then heel blisters. First I went to a stiff boot and that cures the soft sole problem. Next I had to try on a dozen boots to get the heel right. I settled on Kenetrek and they lasted 5 years and now I need new ones. I'd say start with a stiffer boot and then check out the heel situation. I find going up and down stairs will reveal heel issues
Try them on with your hunting socks. Good luck