High and steep in mid-height boots? Need help

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Going to unit 55 in CO open week of archery. Terrain is high, steep, alpine. I have some well broken in Salomon GTX 2 Ultras which is a low profile mid-height hiking boot. I will be carrying minimal weight since we are day hunting.

Will these boots be ok or should I buy the Salomon Quest 4d GTX 2 boots which are similar but taller with better ankle support?

Thanks!

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt early season archery in pretty steep terrain here in utah and I use Salomon speed cross trail running shoes. If you train pre-season and get your feet ready then you should be able to do it no problem. You'll want more support if you have heavy loads on your back for extended periods of time or aren't training pre-season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Ok awesome, thanks for the feedback. That makes me feel better about my boots.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Happy to help. In my experience if you haven't trained pre-season you're going to feel it in foot fatigue and especially in your calves. I've had nights where I wake up a lot with cramps in my calves because I didn't train before.
Wilderness athlete hydrate and recover packs helped a ton in getting rid of those cramps. Kind of off topic but just thought I'd throw that in...
Obviously you run a higher risk of rolling your ankles with shorter boots but another thing I've noticed is with trekking poles I'm so much more stable with heavy loads. I've yet to really turn my ankle badly wearing those Speedcross but I give credit to my trekking poles for that.

bates

WKR
I find the Solomon's not stiff enough for me, i ran the Quests for 2 hunts out west, and after an archery elk hunt in Idaho i knew i wanted a stiffer boot.

something like a salewa crow is stiffer and better for me than the Quest, again with boots its so personal but if you are going to make a change from the gtx ultras i would look at something stiffer

I hunt early season archery in pretty steep terrain here in utah and I use Salomon speed cross trail running shoes. If you train pre-season and get your feet ready then you should be able to do it no problem. You'll want more support if you have heavy loads on your back for extended periods of time or aren't training pre-season.

I am in Idaho and this is what I am doing this season, using the new Speed cross trail shoe, mine are gortex so standup to water better. For several seasons I used some big Lowa's. I like having the lighter shoes but you do give up support. So I have been training with a 40lbs bag. The only big downside is going down hill, I seem to jam one of my toes.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am in Idaho and this is what I am doing this season, using the new Speed cross trail shoe, mine are gortex so standup to water better. For several seasons I used some big Lowa's. I like having the lighter shoes but you do give up support. So I have been training with a 40lbs bag. The only big downside is going down hill, I seem to jam one of my toes.
^ true story. I have smashed my toe a couple times...

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I find the Solomon's not stiff enough for me, i ran the Quests for 2 hunts out west, and after an archery elk hunt in Idaho i knew i wanted a stiffer boot.

something like a salewa crow is stiffer and better for me than the Quest, again with boots its so personal but if you are going to make a change from the gtx ultras i would look at something stiffer

Question... when you say stiffer boot do you mean the supportive part around your ankle or the sole? Is the idea of having a stiffer sole to avoid "feeling" the pressure point from rocks under your foot? Sorry for all the newb questions.

WKR
Question... when you say stiffer boot do you mean the supportive part around your ankle or the sole? Is the idea of having a stiffer sole to avoid "feeling" the pressure point from rocks under your foot? Sorry for all the newb questions.

Stiffer can be either area, but there's usually a ratio of stiffness underfoot and in the upper of the boot. A very stiff shank underfoot will feel clumsy and awkward if not accompanied by some stiffness through the upper/ankle in order to help/force the bottom of the shoe to flex during walking.

imop stiffer soul will allow less strain on foot when side hilling and or ascending steeper terrain. there is a fine line there to be had for function and comfort. it is a love hate thing for sure. can be a challenge to find a boot that works well in alpine and sub alpine togather. good luck....