Boot help, Cabelas Meindl Denali's

Agross

WKR
Ok , I have a wider foot and am on a budget. I tried the salomon quest 4d's and they were a no go, to narrow. Cabelas is having a sale right now on the meindl boots. With the sale and my cabelas cash I can get these boots for $185 OTD. They come in wide sizes and from what I have found in my searches they run a little big. I don't really know much about these boots. They would mainly be for an elk hunt next year, and hopefully more after that, and perhaps early whitetail season . I know there are people against buying from cabelas but these boots are made in Germany and have a lifetime guarantee through cabelas. Are these overkill or not enough ? Or should I be looking for the insulated perfekt hikers or another boot similar to the 4d's in a wide? My elk hunt would be in September. Also is the fit iq a good thing or a hoax? Sorry about all the questions but I'm on a budget and everybody says pack and boots are most important. Thanks for any help.

KurtR

WKR
I got the perfekt hikers and so far really like them have about 80 miles on them hiking around here​ getting ready for October. If those boots fit you right I would not shy away from them.

I also have the Perfekt hikers. As stated above it is a fit you or not boot. They fit me and are very durable. That is a great price and if they don't fit send them back.

brjacks

FNG
I was in the exact same boat with the quests, I ordered a pair of Denalis and they were extremely comfortable however I was worried about how stiff they were as this is my first pair of real hunting boots. I returned them and decided to go with the perfekt hiker and I'm happy so far.

I bought a pair of Cabelas Meindls last year and I really like them. Broke in easy and are very waterproof. I would buy them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Are the perfekt hikers softer,for lack of a better word? Seems like I've read a lot of people saying insulated ones are to warm . I could get those for the same price basically. I'm just trying to save myself sending back several more pairs. Should they fit great right away or take a little bit to break in? Thanks for the replies.

I have tried the Meindl Denalis in 12EE, and 11.5EE. I wore the 11.5EE all last archery season. I found them to run 1/2 to 1 full size large. The width is great, I have an extremely hard time finding boots that fit - search for my thread "boot history for wide feet." Anyways, after archery season I found them too long, and returned them for Meindl Alaska Hunters in an 11 EE.

I really don't get a feel for the size in the store or even wearing the around the house for a week, I need to put some miles in to really know if they fit or not. I never wear 11's - usually 12s so that tells you how long they run.

The Alaskas are awesome. I am using Superfeet carbon insoles in them but I have enough room to put any insole. A tad bit stiffer than the Denalis, both are very nice boots as is the Perfekt Hiker. I have tried the Perfekts in 12 and 11.5 as well.

Quality and warranty is outstanding on the three boots. Made in Germany. I am going to order some Hikers as a backup boot - they all fit the same and just because I'm so happy to finally find boots that fit. But the sizes seems to be the European sizing - they are one size big. I just don't know if this a "batch" that came out this way or just how they are. Hope that helps.

Also - for the question on the the fit IQ - the fit IQ to my understanding is memory foam in the ankles that forms to you foot. It definitely makes them cushier sooner and they are amazingly comfortable out of the box. But, it seem to make them not breathe as well, and they seemed noticeably warmer than the Alaskans which have thinsulate in them. I didn't want thinsulate either for an archery boot, but I actually don't mind it as it makes them a good boot for rifle.

And as far as boot stiffness - my opinion was the Alaksan was the stiffest, the Hiker in the middle, and the Denali the softest. All in about the same class of boot, I think a boot seems much stiffer it the fit is too big for you.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I have been wearing my Denali's everyday for the last month while at work. We usually hike around quite a bit. If you get a good fit I would recommend them, but if it isn't locking your heel in well they well tear your heel up pretty bad. I like the stiffness and waterproofness of them.

some of the Meindls are on sale with an extra 20% off. i have and love the Perfekts. picked up the lightweight uninsulated hikers but maybe will try the Denalis too at under 200$.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Well I thought I would update . Thanks to all who responded. Work got cut short today because of the heavy rain so I headed to the closest cabelas. They had the Denali's and the perfekt hikers in my size, and man am I glad . I tried them both on and ended up going with the perfekt hikers. They just felt better to me, much more comfortable. I did end up having to size down a half size from what I normally wear. Think I'm really gonna like these boots .

You will like them. I have the perfekt lightweight hikers and the perfekt hunters and love em both! Plus cabelas warranty on their shoes is great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Love the Perfekt Hunter and Hiker boots. They fit my foot and require no breakin. I've had other Meindl models that chew my heels up.

Broomd

WKR
I just picked up a pair of Cabelas/Meindl 800 gram ultralights in our Cabelas Bargain Cave.
I've been a hardcore mountain hunter for about twenty years, and in that time I've relied on crap boots because I couldn't find a 14EEEE that actually fit my feet.

These boots are amazing! They were basically new with a tag that stated 'dirty' on them, I carried them out the door for $69! Total score, I've been struggling to find good footwear much of my life. Guys with duck feet, these are the answer!