Boots for bad ankles

john_tn

FNG
I have a weak left ankle and was wanting a suggestion on boots that would give the most support. I'll be using them on an early season high country elk hunt in CO. I just want something to help prevent ankle sprain and I'm not really worried about the cost(within reason). Any suggestions?

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes will accomplish that, and if you want something even sturdier try the Kenetrek Mountain Guides. Both will require some break-in, but I haven't found any boots that give me more support.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the same boat. Can say the crispi nevadas design is very good for a lower boot. The kenetreks are very good as well though have rolled the ankle a couple of times in them. I just have to be very careful.

I have a weak left ankle and was wanting a suggestion on boots that would give the most support. I'll be using them on an early season high country elk hunt in CO. I just want something to help prevent ankle sprain and I'm not really worried about the cost(within reason). Any suggestions?

Kenetrek has a specific Ortho boot. But I would get fully invested in bands... this coming from a guy with two ankle surgeries.

I personally found in general no difference in support in 7" to 12" boot.

GKPrice

Banned
All those brands are great boots - the weaker the ankle(s) the more height is needed, 8" or even 10" - Lowa and Crispi offer W/EE, not sure about Kenetreks - for early season you'll gain warmth with height so consider accordingly when shopping insulated vs. non insulated
Everyone's foot takes to a new boot differently but after 4 pairs of Lowa I've not spent one hour breaking in and never a hot spot or blister

Another suggestion no matter which boot you choose, put good insoles in from the get go - green SuperFeet and Heel that Pain have worked really well for me

All boots mentioned are top of the line and you can't go wrong with them. I would suggest to get one of those lace up ankle brace's if your ankles are really that weak. The boot will still play an important role in support; but with one of those braces, it might open up some less stiff boot options.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a long history of ankle issues; multiple grade 3 sprains bilaterally and a ligament reconstruction surgery in high school on my right. My ankles have been an issue for me for over 35 years; so much so that I do a full tape job on both to play any sports where you might start stop cut fast (baseball/softball/volleyball) and even when I telemark ski as I have sprained inside a high all plastic ski boot during a fall. I don’t tape up to hike, trail run, bike, XCski and such. I wore Kayland Hunters for my 2014 CO elk hunt in the Arapahoe NF. They were great for support and I had no issues with my ankles during that hunt. I am now wearing an planning no using for this season’s CO trip a pair Asolo Bajura. While the Asolo’s are only 7” tall they have been great Mnt hiking here in NH on rugged trails. The Kaylands were higher at 9” but I haven’t really had an issue with the decrease in height.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also check out Malleo ankle supports with Kennetrek. I have one for each ankle if I tweek one and need extra support.

mcseal2

WKR
I have loose ankles from wearing cowboy boots with no support all the time, plus riding and putting pressure outward on them a lot. I get by great with the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme boots hunting. My ankles feel locked solid even with elk quarters on my pack on a sidehill. I suffered sidehilling with Danner Pronghorns until I got real mountain boots. I also have the Cabelas Meindl Alaskan Guide boots and they are a heck of a boot too. They are my insulated boot and the Kennetrek is my un-insulated boot.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stiff soles helped me a ton.. stiffer than Kenetreks. I wore Scarpa Charmoz last year now this year in the la Sportiva Trango Cubes. They don't allow my ankle to move as much in steep country and it's really helped my left ankle which I rolled really bad on a sheep hunt a couple years ago. When I put my Kenetreks on again and go in steep country especially my ankles can flex a bit more and I can definitely feel the difference in my bad ankle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk