Boots are Important! Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter Elites

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there has been several threads about the release of L & S new line of boots. Stephen has been active on here answering alot of questions. Anyway, I wanted to start my own thread on these boots as I wear them for the year.

I have worn them once to the archery range and so far they are definelty the stiffest boot I have worn to date. I am actually looking forward to that. They are going to take some break in so I am going to really start wearing them around. I have a 3D archery shoot next weekend at Silver Mountain Ski Resort in N. Idaho. That should be a good test for them.

Attention to detail is very high with these boots. You can tell Stephen and James are DAMN proud to put their name on these.

Stay tune for more pics and thoughts. Should have a full review later this hunting season!

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Brock, can you tell me about that lacing technique you have going on there? Maybe a pic with the boot on and tightened? I struggle a bit with what to do where that locking eyelet sits. I tend to lose tightness transitioning to those nylon eyelets. I have these same boots and it is taking quite a bit of time to break them in, but, in a weird way, I'm appreciating that. I wear them twice to three times a week in the office for about 9 hours a day for the last 5 weeks and I'd say about the last couple of weeks that they are finally breaking in (or my feet are breaking into them!) and not having that tired foot feeling at the end of the day. This past week I started hitting the stairmaster with them. I've never had any blisters or significant hot spots. Only thing I am finding is I wish the tongues were a 1/2" wider at the ankles to pad the eyelets when I cinch down the ankle laces. Overall I'm really digging these. Anxious to hear how they work for you.

Last edited:
OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last night was my initial hike with these boots. Here are the stats on the hike. As you can see, some good elevation gain. 3.8 miles is RT, so we had 1152 in 1.4 miles. I had a 35lb pack on.

I laced them on the side of loose being as they were brand new and stiff as heck. In my experience, tight boots almost always give me fits, especially when new. Right out of the gun I hit a steep little uphill. Had me wanting to walk on my toes. I kept flat footed though and at the top I could feel some significant heel pressure. Once I leveled out a little it went away. I hit the 1 miles mark and the my feet felt like they fell into a "groove". My heel was seated nicely, plenty of room in the toe box. I cruised up the rest of the mountain without any issues. Coming downhill was not bad at all. The boots were warmed up and I was worried I might slide forward in them. That was not the case. Once I got back I zero hot spots, zero blisters and I was happy.

I will try and do this hike again this week but lace them a little tighter. Then I am taking them to an archery shoot at Silver Mountain Ski Resort in N. Idaho this weekend.

Stay tuned

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock, can you tell me about that lacing technique you have going on there? Maybe a pic with the boot on and tightened? I struggle a bit with what to do where that locking eyelet sits. I tend to lose tightness transitioning to those nylon eyelets. I have these same boots and it is taking quite a bit of time to break them in, but, in a weird way, I'm appreciating that. I wear them twice to three times a week in the office for about 9 hours a day for the last 5 weeks and I'd say about the last couple of weeks that they are finally breaking in (or my feet are breaking into them!) and not having that tired foot feeling at the end of the day. This past week I started hitting the stairmaster with them. I've never had any blisters or significant hot spots. Only thing I am finding is I wish the tongues were a 1/2" wider at the ankles to pad the eyelets when I cinch down the ankle laces. Overall I'm really digging these. Anxious to hear how they work for you.

This lacing technique is how they showed up in the box. I undid it and laced them normal. I will take a picture this week for you. I dont like to get my boots too tight.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
The boot laces aren't meant to be tightened with the lace wrapping around the other then returning to the same side as shown in the pictures. Just pinch each lace in the middle and pull it back around the locking. It should look just like a standard cross over lacing.

brocksw

WKR
To me these look like a rebranded Lowa, I believe L and S has worked with Lowa on boots before. I have no problem with that, Lowa boots fit my feet better than anything other boot I've tried. With that being said I've been wearing the Cevedale and the fit is good, heel cup fits perfect, but I would still like something stiffer. Are these L and S boots stiffer than the Cevedale? Does the heel cup compare to a lowa?

Ive tried most of the Scarpa boots and like the stiffness of the triolet but I get heel slip that is all too familiar, and not reminiscent of good things for my heels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last night was my initial hike with these boots. Here are the stats on the hike. As you can see, some good elevation gain. 3.8 miles is RT, so we had 1152 in 1.4 miles. I had a 35lb pack on.

I laced them on the side of loose being as they were brand new and stiff as heck. In my experience, tight boots almost always give me fits, especially when new. Right out of the gun I hit a steep little uphill. Had me wanting to walk on my toes. I kept flat footed though and at the top I could feel some significant heel pressure. Once I leveled out a little it went away. I hit the 1 miles mark and the my feet felt like they fell into a "groove". My heel was seated nicely, plenty of room in the toe box. I cruised up the rest of the mountain without any issues. Coming downhill was not bad at all. The boots were warmed up and I was worried I might slide forward in them. That was not the case. Once I got back I zero hot spots, zero blisters and I was happy.

I will try and do this hike again this week but lace them a little tighter. Then I am taking them to an archery shoot at Silver Mountain Ski Resort in N. Idaho this weekend.

Stay tuned

What app are you using to track your progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk