Boot Upgrade?

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm getting ready for an upcoming elk hunt that has now changed from first season (Oct) to fourth season (Nov) in Colorado's Flat Tops Wilderness Area. Back in the good old days when it was first season, I was pretty happy with my decision to bring my Salomon Quest 4Ds and my Sorel Caribous as a just in case. It's a drop hunt, so I'm not worried about weight.

Now that we're rolling the calendar back a month, I'm thinking that I should probably get a beefier pair of winter mountain boots and I'm looking at the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with 400 gr insulation or the Meindl Alaskan Hunter's with 200 gr. Any thoughts? Do I definitely need another pair of boots? Should I go with uninsulated and just trust my socks? I'm wearing Darn Tough boot socks and REI expedition weight socks when the temps really dip. I'm open to other suggestions as well. If I get a pair, I need to get them ASAP so I can get my 50-100 miles in them to get them nice and broken in.

Your Salomon won't offer much ankle support in the mountains, and they are kinda low quarter if you encounter snow. Not familiar with the Sorels. A tall waterproof boot like Kenetrek Mountain Extreme will work well. I have the uninsulated Mountain Extremes, and use Kenetrek wool socks for insulation.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Your Salomon won't offer much ankle support in the mountains, and they are kinda low quarter if you encounter snow. Not familiar with the Sorels. A tall waterproof boot like Kenetrek Mountain Extreme will work well. I have the uninsulated Mountain Extremes, and use Kenetrek wool socks for insulation.
I've got gaiters (on backorder) that will help keep the snow out of the tops, but I agree on the ankle support. The Sorels are a low-structure pac boot that I got for general snow use here in SD, not for hiking through the mountains. How well do the uninsulated Kenetreks keep you warm when you're stationary? I'm not worried about warmth when I'm moving, but I don't want to feel like I've got to stop glassing and move around just because my toes get cold.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Davebuech

WKR
I think it is a matter of opinion. Everyone's feet and heat output is different. I don't use insulated boots when hunting even late season/ early winter, but my feet generally run warm and sweat no matter the temps. When you stop to glass, switch out to dry socks immediately and try to let your boots air out a few minutes. If it is really cold some down overboots are good stuff but usually I pack a wobble anyway so I wrap up in it boots and all and stay fairly toasty.

Jan/Feb I will wear my Sorrels if not going too far when I am varmint hunting and sitting at stands calling.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll just say this.......when I used to do 3rd rifle seasons before they even added a 4th season, I'd bring my normal leather elk hunting boots, and my Sorels. My Sorels with gaiters were used more than the other boots in almost every case for late season, as there always seemed to be deep snow. I even had to buy new stirrups that the Sorels would fit in. My size 13's were too wide for normal stirrups.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
as noted everyone's heat output is different along with ankle support required. The mt extreme with 400 gr has served me well in both cases when temps drop and I'm needing ankle support elk hunting.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
I have the meindl perfekt hunters in an insulated model and I really like them for wet/cold hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
I'll just say this.......when I used to do 3rd rifle seasons before they even added a 4th season, I'd bring my normal leather elk hunting boots, and my Sorels. My Sorels with gaiters were used more than the other boots in almost every case for late season, as there always seemed to be deep snow. I even had to buy new stirrups that the Sorels would fit in. My size 13's were too wide for normal stirrups.
Thanks. I think I'll stick with what I've got and just give the Salomons a thorough retreating with DWR before we go. It's a drop camp, so I can afford to wear the heavier Sorels around if the snow gets deep.

tommy

FNG
the alaskan hunters will be just fine with the socks you have ive used a pair for many years bty i tried the mountain extremes and while i loved the boot they did not fit my foot worth a damn

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
the alaskan hunters will be just fine with the socks you have ive used a pair for many years bty i tried the mountain extremes and while i loved the boot they did not fit my foot worth a damn
What part didn't fit your feet? I get some very slight movement in my heel with the Mountain Extremes, but I don't think I've ever had a pair of boots or shoes that didn't have at least a little bit of movement.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm getting ready for an upcoming elk hunt that has now changed from first season (Oct) to fourth season (Nov) in Colorado's Flat Tops Wilderness Area. Back in the good old days when it was first season, I was pretty happy with my decision to bring my Salomon Quest 4Ds and my Sorel Caribous as a just in case. It's a drop hunt, so I'm not worried about weight.

Now that we're rolling the calendar back a month, I'm thinking that I should probably get a beefier pair of winter mountain boots and I'm looking at the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with 400 gr insulation or the Meindl Alaskan Hunter's with 200 gr. Any thoughts? Do I definitely need another pair of boots? Should I go with uninsulated and just trust my socks? I'm wearing Darn Tough boot socks and REI expedition weight socks when the temps really dip. I'm open to other suggestions as well. If I get a pair, I need to get them ASAP so I can get my 50-100 miles in them to get them nice and broken in.

If you haven't before, check out our:

Very Rigid Mountain Boot
Granite(200g)
Granite IV(600g)

Slightly Less Ridgid Mountain Boot
Beartooth Insulated(200G)

Also, new upgraded models of the Beartooth and Granite are coming very soon. Any orders for the Granite or Beartooth placed now will be automatically upgraded to the newer boot!

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
If you haven't before, check out our:

Very Rigid Mountain Boot
Granite(200g)
Granite IV(600g)

Slightly Less Ridgid Mountain Boot
Beartooth Insulated(200G)

Also, new upgraded models of the Beartooth and Granite are coming very soon. Any orders for the Granite or Beartooth placed now will be automatically upgraded to the newer boot!
Do you have any dealers in the Rapid City area where I could try some out?

iafull

FNG
View attachment 54919

These Zamberlan Tofane 1025 are by far the best boot I have ever owned. I personally wont buy another pair or brand of boot other than this. I have had them since last November, and have basically worn them every day since I took them out of the box. The day I took them out of the box, I went 10 miles in the Missouri River breaks. I did 35/40 miles in them hiking the black hills this summer 10 of them miles at Terry Peak for the Total Archery Challenge. Spendy, but well worth the cheddar for the quality.