Minimalist footwear for hunting

Titan_Bow

WKR
Over the last 5 or 6 years, due to really bad Plantar fasciitis pain, I have migrated to wearing barefoot style and minimalist footwear exclusively. The good thing; I never suffer from plantar fasciitis pain anymore, the bad news is, trying to find footwear for rugged outdoor use has been difficult. Last elk season and this spring bear season, I wore my Merrell Trail Gloves , kuiu gaters, and just brought more socks that usual. That worked ok, but after a week in MW Montana in spring, they smelled so bad I had to damn near burn them!
I have a pair of Rocky SV2 insulated boots I got about 3-4 years ago. I like them alot, but they are really just too big/bulky for Sept. backcountry.
Inerested in what others out there might be running. The key for me is I have to wear something that has zero heel-to-toe drop, and ideally, very minimal sole.
I'm interested in the VivoBarefoot Trackers, but I've read some poor reviews on their quality/ruggedness. There's a few other boots/shoes that I am eye-balling, but again, would like to hear if anyone else out there is in the same boat I am ?

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I tried out the Altras several months ago. They were pretty narrow, and the sole is so thick it really didn't feel "stable". I've thought about getting a custom pair of Russell moccasins made. They have a line of minimalist boots and moccasins..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I wore mocs for quite a few years doing my mountain man thing. I almost killed myself I fell so many times. They have zero grip in any kind of moisture. Nice and quiet for still hunting, but I made a lot of noise falling down.

If you can find some with some kind of lugged sole it would be ok.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I know a fellow or two who are testing their Lems minimalist boots for hiking/hunting,,,,not sure how they will hold up as they are more urban that outdoors (to me anyhow),,,,,,

Russell Moccasin company will custom make a minimalist boot on their hunting styles,,,but their boots are more than I can swing right now,,,,

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I hear ya woodmoose, the Russell's look like they may be the ticket but I'm cheap and it's hard to convince myself to pay over 500 on a pair of shoes! I checked out Lems a while back at a local shoe store and was hesitant. They are cotton lined, and really seemed like more for just wearing around town. I did like the fit of them and would definitely buy a pair for around town. I currently have a pair of vivobarefoot Gobi's though, and they are super comfortable. I may just bite the bullet and try the vivo trackers and see

robtattoo

WKR
It's a little out of the box, but for not a huge amount you could give the rubber sole version of a whirl.

Products detail

I've been wearing a pair of the standard sole version for around a year & they're much more hard wearing than you'd imagine.

article-1334664087028-12a1c05f000005dc-284914_636x391.jpg

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
What's up guys, I'm new around here. Been lurking in the shadows but I should contribute a little.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I have fairly wide and flat size 12 feet and have had nothing but trouble with the usual hunting/hiking boot offerings throughout my life. About 6 or 7 years ago, before I had much of a disposable income, I ponied up for a pair of Russell Moccasin's.

I got the Minimalist Thula Thula's in all leather. After lots and lots of miles, 1 or 2 resoles, a few deer, 1 elk, countless fish and the hospital room for my daughters birth they're still going strong. The newporter sole is awesome is sand, rock, snow, ice, wet, scree fields and everything in between.

I rarely ever roll my ankle anymore like I used to with boots that have lots of heel rise. The leather is tough and protects your feet but loosen the laces when you get to camp and they're like slippers.

It took a while to toughen up the muscles in my feet to handle heavy loads with them but it sounds like you may have done that already.

Bottom line is I love them and I think you probably would to. Here's some pics with me and my brother cause we both have them (FYI I probably look like a tool in these but it's hard to find pics that have your feet in them)

IMG_7917.jpgDSC00264.jpgPA040241.jpgIMG_5557.jpgIMG_6514.jpg

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing shoe, unfortunately you probably won't find them. They discontinued the model, and they got bought up quick as they were very popular.

inov8 makes a heck of a shoe.

Yep the 245s are had to find, but Amazon has several Invo-8 models in stock that are similar.

Stein

FNG
Check these out, a little outside the box for hunting boots but they should work for early season. I bought a pair for Goruck/Sealfit events and needed something with low drop, lightweight, quick draining/drying and keeping sand out. I ended up adding two screened eyelets on each pair and they are about completely emptied out after three steps. The vibram sole is amazing, I have probably at least 300 miles on mine and they are not showing much wear at all.

The uppers are a light canvas type material and you can fold the boot in half.

https://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=98

What's up guys, I'm new around here. Been lurking in the shadows but I should contribute a little.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I have fairly wide and flat size 12 feet and have had nothing but trouble with the usual hunting/hiking boot offerings throughout my life. About 6 or 7 years ago, before I had much of a disposable income, I ponied up for a pair of Russell Moccasin's.

I got the Minimalist Thula Thula's in all leather. After lots and lots of miles, 1 or 2 resoles, a few deer, 1 elk, countless fish and the hospital room for my daughters birth they're still going strong. The newporter sole is awesome is sand, rock, snow, ice, wet, scree fields and everything in between.

I rarely ever roll my ankle anymore like I used to with boots that have lots of heel rise. The leather is tough and protects your feet but loosen the laces when you get to camp and they're like slippers.

It took a while to toughen up the muscles in my feet to handle heavy loads with them but it sounds like you may have done that already.

Bottom line is I love them and I think you probably would to. Here's some pics with me and my brother cause we both have them (FYI I probably look like a tool in these but it's hard to find pics that have your feet in them)

View attachment 53836View attachment 53837View attachment 53839View attachment 53840View attachment 53838

Yeah but how do those feel after ya get em wet?

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah but how do those feel after ya get em wet?

Like any other non-gortex leather boot, mind you I always try and keep a fresh application of Obenauf's on them if I'm gonna be in a wet enviroment.

Probably smart to take conditions into consideration when selecting your footwear but in the right enviroment I'd argue there's not a better pair of stalking boots out there

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Check these out, a little outside the box for hunting boots but they should work for early season. I bought a pair for Goruck/Sealfit events and needed something with low drop, lightweight, quick draining/drying and keeping sand out. I ended up adding two screened eyelets on each pair and they are about completely emptied out after three steps. The vibram sole is amazing, I have probably at least 300 miles on mine and they are not showing much wear at all.

The uppers are a light canvas type material and you can fold the boot in half.

About Belleville - Our History

As much as I wanted to pull the trigger on a pair of custom Russell Moccasins, I decided to go with the mini-mil boots. I got a good deal on a pair in Air Force Sage green. I've been wearing them all week and I really think they are going to work well for me. They are essentially what you would get if you mixed an old school jungle boot with a Merrell Trail Glove! I know they are not water proof, but I feel like in early season, they'd walk dry in no time. It's nice to wear a pair of boots for 8 hours straight and feel like you are wearing slippers thanks for the recommendation!