Best lightweight hunting boot.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone,whats your opinion on the best lightweight hunting boot ? I'm looking for something for mid season
Washington October weather . Something that can handle a fairly wide range of weather. I'm leaning to the side of
Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter or the Scarpa Rebel . I don't have any foot issues but have wide feet . I do pack in
for hunting usually hauling between 50 to 60 lbs. Help the old guy last a couple more years in the backcountry. Thanks.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the crispi briksdal's and they are by far the most comfortable hunting boots for my feet that I have tried. Very snug fit all the way around the foot. Feel more like a hiking boot upper with the support of a mountain boot. I recommend going up one size if you try them out.

kickemall

WKR
There's really no "best", just what works best for each individual. Salomon Quests have a lot of fans, myself included and should be o.k. for the weather you'll encounter.

Last edited:

Jvco

FNG
I have the L&S and wouldn't consider them lightweight, lighter than maybe something insulated but not lightweight.

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Salomon quests are my go to boot. I've used a lot of different boots but the top two being Lowas and Salomons. Lowas just don't work with my feet as well because they are more narrow. Even the wide sizes. Salomons have a good amount of room in the toe box.

Salomon quests are my go to boot. I've used a lot of different boots but the top two being Lowas and Salomons. Lowas just don't work with my feet as well because they are more narrow. Even the wide sizes. Salomons have a good amount of room in the toe box.

Do they come in wide sizes? EE or EEE feet are hard to fit.

Grambo - I have had good luck with a pair of crispi Idahos. A bit spendy but super conpmfortable right out of the box and ever since.

A note of caution, I thought I had found my holy grail boot so, I tried to buy a second pair from black ovis but their was a snafu on sizing / width (I need a wide). There was also a bit of friction on the Customer service and returns that involved way too many calls and emails for me to have not ended up with a pair of boots. All of my other purchases with black ovis have been pretty good so, I would still suggest checking them out.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
There's really no "best", just what works best for each individual. .

100% concur,,,,,what's interesting is the sizing variations between boot companys (how the lasts are made), the fact that some types are never made in anything but a medium width, and the variety of sizes I have used to get a "good fit"

by measurement (lots of tables on the internet) my feet are just under 12 wides/EE

my Jungle boots were always 11 1/2 wides - walked many a mile (up to 40+ in one day) in them bad boys (original leather and green canvas type - not them black POSs that they went to in the early 90s),,,,,,,

My schnee pack boots (12 years old and going strong) I had to return the size 13s and get 14s for them to fit my feet properly,,,,

my cabela's meindl perfekt hikers have always been 13 wide for a good fit,,,,

and I recently lucked into a nearly new pair of used Russell Moccasin Co, sheep hunter boots, that a GENEROUS fellow gave to me as he had no use for them and they had sit in his closet for a decade - 12 EE and they fit perfectly

so there is no "best" - and lightweight is a factor of use - lightweight sheep boots are a different boot then lightweight elk boots,,,,

OP
Grambo

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
DJ , I had a similar (very similar) experience with a vendor and supplier when they didn't order 1 of 2 pairs I bought at a sportsman show.After I went to the vendors store and still had to wait 3 days for a call I found out they forgot to place my order and now even the supplier was out of stock and Id have to wait 4 months for my boots . I know "best" is a broad range and so is lightweight but at todays prices feedback really helps. Everyones input is greatly appreciated . I'm really leaning towards L&S because maybe not the lightest but they appear to be a good overall match for me . Keep it all coming.

Owenst7

WKR
I bought a pair of the Schnee's Beartooth mids (6", just above the ankle) this spring. They're just under 60 ounces for the pair, which is just a few ounces heavier than the Danner Ambush they replaced. I don't really think the taller boots would add a lot of ankle support, but they would be nice if I were frequently in deeper water or snow.

I did a 34 mile backpack through the Jarbidge Wilderness over the 4th of July with about 60 lbs in my pack. I'm from Alaska and it was a little over 90 degrees during the day, and I didn't find them to be overly hot compared to something more breathable. I'd rather have the durability and support of leather. I was very grateful to be wearing something with as much torsional rigidity in the sole, as I spent a lot of that hike sidehilling rock faces with no trail. They also still have enough flex in the forefoot to let me walk on flat ground without destroying my knees. I had to cross a bunch of creeks and the waterproofing was great. The couple times I flooded them, I wrung out the insole and my socks and went back to hiking. The boots were no more damp then my sweat usually keeps them after a couple hours of hiking. I think the eVent membrane is a lot more breathable than Gore-Tex. I'm going to shop for that in outerwear from now on.

The best options for me so far have been Asolo Fugitives and La Sportiva Trangos for uninsulated boots. The Asolos are more flexible, the La Sportivas are much stiffer. But! That's what fits my foot type well and they may not be best for you. I try to do thorough searches for "X boot for 'my foot type'" and usually have pretty good results.

As others have said, boots are different for everyone. If you're looking for lightweight, you'll probably end up with a backpacking boot instead of a full-leather hunting boot anyway. Go into your closest REI and see which brand fits your foot the best. FWIW salomon quests fit my wide feet well.

Zamberlan has a number of hunting boots that come in wide widths. The Zamberlan Lynx is a midweight boot that works well for my wide feet.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have a pair of Zamberlan Baltoro 1000s. They are lighter than my other leather hiking boots, and very comfortable. They have a fairly stiff sole, which is nice compared to most of the other lighterweight boots.

GKPrice

Banned
Lowa Tibets are another great option - 11 W here, not "terrible" wide but necessary and the Lowa Tibets and GTX ( "sheep hunter") have been outstanding for me, I also wear the Renegades for work daily, on my fifth pair now
Baker's Boots & Shoes in Eugene OR specialize in mail order service and have done well for 2 buddies who live a bit over a 100 miles away (and didn't want to drive)