Schnees hunter 2 help

Mslvdc

FNG
Was looking for some opinions from you western hunters. I spend the majority of my time hunting whitetails and turkeys here in Missouri. I also am an avid backpacker and like to hit the trails for fun and shed hunting.

I have a couple pairs of boots and purchased a pair of Vasque GTX a few years ago and they have not held up well.

I really love PAC boots and was thinking about getting a pair of Schnees hunter 2. My question is are they comfortable to wear hiking long distances of over 20 miles with a 50+ pound pack? Or are they more of a d dedicated hunting PAC boot? Want an American made boot and they look really nice. Any opinions will be helpful.

First off I love Schnee's as a company and their brand is well respected. The Hunter II boot is widely regarded as an excellent hunting boot and as a serviceable pack-in/out boot. I've owned them and many of my friends have as well. So it's not like I'm exactly comfortable saying that my personal experiences with the Hunter II weren't all that great. I'll elaborate...

I owned 3 pairs over a 12 year period. Every pair I owned eventually (usually sooner rather than later) collapsed above the heel and wrinkled quite badly. The result was always a rubbed-sore Achilles tendon area and it hobbled me a few times. I was careful to treat my boots annually with Pitch Blend or Obenauf's or other fine leather protectant, yet they 100% always leaked some water in above the welt area...somewhere in the stitching. I could never keep my feet absolutely dry if doing stream crossings to any extent. Schnee's has some of the finest customer service and warranty in the business and they sent me 2 replacement pairs over those years. The last pair I owned developed a problem with the interior lining of the boot foot area. The fabric/material which is somehow bonded to the rubber began to disintegrate and fall apart. I sent those boots back for evaluation and was told it happened due to excess moisture in the boots. I paid to have them rebuilt and then I sold them before any more wear.

I absolutely recommend Schnee's boots. I suggest you keep an eye on the pac boots for any developing problems and let them know if it happens. I don't think my experiences are exactly typical, so others might have a much better outcome. I'd love to tell you my pacs are still going strong...just didn't work out.