The Ultimate Mountain Hunting Boots?

billy molls

Super Moderator
attachment.php

In the past 20 years of guiding in Alaska, and hunting here and there for myself, there is no doubt in my mind that I've worn-out better than $10,000 worth of hunting boots. I've tried Hanwag, Meindl, Kennetrek, Danner, Scarpa, Lowa, and a few other brands I'm embarrassed to even mention! In going through my gear for my upcoming 3-month fall guiding season, I concluded that my quest to find the ultimate, all-around hunting boots is still ongoing. The aforementioned brands listed are all good, but in each case it seems they all fell short, either in how they fit my feet, durability, they were too stiff, or not stiff-enough.

I recently decided to try Crispi. I bring 2 pairs of boots with me to the Alaska bush each year. This year I will be bring the Crispi "Hunter GTX" and the Crispi "Guide GTX". I've put enough miles on them to say, so far, I'm thoroughly impressed with both pairs. At this early stage, I'm favoring the "Hunter". I typically have an issue with heel slippage. The 12" tops seem to help keep them rock solid. That said, both pairs fit and ride like a dream. They seem to have plenty support for the sheep mountains, but not too stiff for tundra/flatter country.

That said, I'd be interested in hearing other hunters comments, questions, and concerns. When I return after my guiding season this fall, I intend to write a comprehensive review on the Crispi's as well as the pro's and con's of other boots I've used through the years... So please fire away!!! Your input will help me greatly.

One thing I will say: When you find a boot that works for you, stick with it. In fact, I would recommend buying a couple extra pairs before they redesign them.

FYI, I have a few days with internet access to reply to this thread before I head for the mountains, but if you don't hear back from me, I will catch up with you in late October.

Good Hunting,
Billy

Last edited by a moderator:

Kotaman

WKR
Boots are all about the fit. With that said, I've tried all the brands you have plus others and always come back to my Lowas for fit. I've finally settled on the Lowa Bighorns and bought two pair. Good luck with the Crispi's. I've always like their boots, but the toe box just doesn't fit me right. Boots are SO subjective. What works great for one foot, doesn't work at all for the next.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious if you could do a write up on what you do not like about Hanwag? vs the other similarly designed boots out there

I've got a pair of the Guides also and like them quite a bit. Wore them all November for muzzle loader season as well as some dead of winter predator hunting. I will say, for sitting still calling for coyotes in the dead of January they arent quite warm enough for me but for moving around in ultra cold, or sitting in 'kinda cold' (20-50*) they were perfect.

Ebby

WKR
I have the Hunter and the Nevadas. I've used the Laponias as well. I love Crispi and have gone all in with them as well. I've used most of all of the brands you listed as well and have stuck with Crispi.

Lee

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One thing I will say: When you find a boot that works for you, stick with it. In fact, I would recommend buying a couple extra pairs before they redesign them.

This has been my modus operandi for years now, with everything I like. Because if I like it........it's about to go away. That's good and bad. The good is........you can find some great deals on stuff you like and will use. The bad is.......sometimes they discontinue it and it disappears before you realize it's going away or gone.

Good luck with the new boots. I like Crispi's.......and my discontinued Zamberlans.;)

Slim Jim

WKR
I've gone through many brands as well and Crispi is definitely my favorite. I've owned the Nevada's, Summit browns, idaho's, and Wyoming. My favorite is the Summits but the sole wears out pretty fast. Going to try out the Thors next, just wish they had the same sole as the Wyoming/Idahos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
After 20+ years of packing heavy loads while being too stupid to use proper arch support, my arches have collapsed somewhat, spreading my metatarsal, so I tried a EE boot. They have as wide of toe box as I've every tried.
Billy,

How's the toe room?

I have difficulty finding boots with toe room for a big toe I abused with an axe many years back.

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
I will do a full boot review on Crispi boots soon. Along with that I will list my experience with other boots I've used.
I am curious if you could do a write up on what you do not like about Hanwag? vs the other similarly designed boots out there

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
After 86 days in the Alaskan bush I gotta say I'm very impressed with Crispi boots. I preferred the "Hunter GTX" over the "Guide GTX"(mainly because of the extra 2" of height), but I have to say I won't be looking for new boots next season. I used them on 1 caribou hunt in the boggy tundra, 2 sheep hunts in the rocky Brooks Range, 2 moose/grizzly hunts in rolling tundra hills, and 2 coastal brown bear hunts where I was constantly in and out of the ocean, crossing streams, as well as climbing steep mountains. They are a fantastic all-around boot. I won't be using them on long cold sits, but I plan to wear them guiding for Wisconsin whitetails this fall as well. I still have to chase my wife around the house a bit more and fix everything the kids have broke around the house, but in a week a two I will give a full review as well as some of my experiences with other boots I've used in the past.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Billy-bro'! This is good feedback and we'll make room for your full review this month. Definitely chase Staci around the house for a while though, and I can't imagine how things my wife would tell me are broken if I was gone 86 days. I leave for a week and it takes a full day to get through the honey-do list.

glad you're back safe and looking forward to the review.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just sent the final edit of Billy's review to Justin to get posted. Should be up today. Good info, and also an informative sidebar on other boots Billy's tried- mind numbing to read the number of days in each boot. No wonder you're getting bunions Billy!