Hot Spots

Wojo14

WKR
So, I have been getting hot spots on the balls of my feet when I do a long joke or a hard workout hike with a loaded pack.
It goes away after a day or so. It has not turned into blisters...yet!
I do not have high arches or flat feet. I have Super feet. (Merino wool and orange) but they seam to have a more supportive high arch. I kind of do not like the way the Super feet insoles feel.
Any advise?

~Wojo

tttoadman

WKR
Shorten your stride and turn your feet over faster if you want to go fast. Need to keep from "rolling" over on the balls of your feet. This should help keep hot spots off the heels also.

Change out your socks if you can every 6 miles or so. If you can take a break, let the feet air out for a few minutes before putting on the dry socks. I also have used Body Glide all over the balls, heels, and sides of my feet (or anywhere I might be prone to getting hot spots).

You can try Tuf-foot spray. It really seems to toughen up the skin on the feet and makes them more durable and less blister and hot-spot prone. I treated mine last year and needed zero Leukotape in the field. I'm treating mine now as well for the upcoming sheep season and haven't had any hot spots wile training with 50 pounds on my back.

bat-cave

WKR
FWIW, I have experienced similar discomfort and the fix for me was to insert a bump under the forefoot. You will find lots of different metatarsal bump options out there and for me simply inserting on in my boot did the trick. Background for me was that I used to get a really nasty case of hot foot in cycling cleats and a Dr that designs shoes for Specialized worked with me and ended up making this suggestion. I applied the same thing to my boots for hunting (I had the problem more sporadically in hunting boots) and have had no hot foot issues since. For me sock combinations, other insoles etc didn;t help.

Dave