Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme

Vitals

WKR
Those of you who wear the Hunter Extreme's- how do you like them? have you ever wished you went with the slightly shorter Tibet GTX or Leather Lined? This would be my first 10 inch boot and I'm curious if anybody has felt like they are too heavy or clunky, even after broken in? They seem great and I have always wanted a boot with a couple extra inches in height.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a pair of them last week. A bit on the expensive side, but I would rather spend the extra money on my feet and not have to worry about them when I am in the backcountry. That being said, I really like them so far. There isnt much breaking-in required compared to the La Sportivas and Scarpas that I have owned before. I like the added height to the boot too. You really dont notice that its there until you really need the extra support, like side hilling.

The only thing that I am not real pleased with is the added insulation. We havent had a whole lot of warm days up here, but my feet have overheated when I wore a moderate hiking sock in them. The tend to heat up real fast when you are hiking in warm climates. Shouldnt be to much of a problem for me in the long run though as I dont expect to lace them up when its above 60 degrees or so up here.

Ron

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
You likely already know this but as mentioned above for comparisons sake the Tibet is non insulated and the Hunter Extreme is an insulated boot.

Last edited:

Tiger Rag

WKR
Only insight I can add is that the 8" Baffin's (same boot as LL Tibet) that I am trying out seem to have as much or more support than the taller 9" and 10" Crispi and Kentrek offerings I have. Can't compare on the Lowa Hunter's they're probably as stiff as the Tibet/Baffin and may indeed add some stability.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
What was your experience with the sizing of the boot compared with your other shoes/boots? I am going to have to order them without trying them on and hope for the best. Not ideal, but there aren't any other practical options at my disposal.

I just bought a pair of them last week. A bit on the expensive side, but I would rather spend the extra money on my feet and not have to worry about them when I am in the backcountry. That being said, I really like them so far. There isnt much breaking-in required compared to the La Sportivas and Scarpas that I have owned before. I like the added height to the boot too. You really dont notice that its there until you really need the extra support, like side hilling.

The only thing that I am not real pleased with is the added insulation. We havent had a whole lot of warm days up here, but my feet have overheated when I wore a moderate hiking sock in them. The tend to heat up real fast when you are hiking in warm climates. Shouldnt be to much of a problem for me in the long run though as I dont expect to lace them up when its above 60 degrees or so up here.

Ron

Tiger Rag

WKR
What was your experience with the sizing of the boot compared with your other shoes/boots? I am going to have to order them without trying them on and hope for the best. Not ideal, but there aren't any other practical options at my disposal.

I know you weren't replying to me, but I just went through the same thing. I generally wear a 12-12.5 and ordered a 13 in the Lowa. That ended up being perfect length wise, they just didn't fit my foot (heel cup to big for my narrow heel). Here is the resource I used when I was ordering: http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/boot-sizing-information-for-lowa-boots.html

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Thanks tiger that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I to usually wear a 12-12.5. I'll try the 13. I don't know about the heal though

Tiger Rag

WKR
Thanks tiger that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I to usually wear a 12-12.5. I'll try the 13. I don't know about the heal though

No problem at all. Beautifully made boots, really wished they would work for me. Good luck, you'll probably just have to try the heel for yourself. Most reviews on Lowa boots I've read or watched video's on seems like Lowa's fit most feet out there. If it weren't for the heel, they would be perfect for my narrow, low volume foot, but with less insole (my custom set up) they would fit a thicker or slightly wider foot. I know they offer wides in some models as well.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider

Exact same experience as above. Im usually an 11 and I ended up with a 11.5. No heel slip which was the biggest selling point for me on this boot. All of the others that I tried on gave me to much heel slop.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Right on guys thanks. I wear a 12 in some shoes, and 13 in other. I am going to go to REI and try on some of the Lowas they have and see where I fall with their other boots. Do they make 12.5? I'm not used to seeing footwear that makes half sizes after 12.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wear a 12-12.5 and wear a 12.5 Wide in the Tibet and hunter. I think the hunters are a bit more comfortable somehow.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Right on guys thanks. I wear a 12 in some shoes, and 13 in other. I am going to go to REI and try on some of the Lowas they have and see where I fall with their other boots. Do they make 12.5? I'm not used to seeing footwear that makes half sizes after 12.

I don't think they have half sizes above 12.

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
FYI I heard that Lowa is coming out with a 10" non insulated Tibet in July

shaun

WKR
My Tibets came in monday I have worn them to work all week after oiling them up and trying to get them broke in. So far I love them! Steve from lathrop definatly took care of me. I wear a 12 normally and he sent me a 12 with the synergy footbeds. Planning on putting a few miles on them before work in the am now that they have softened up

I am a 12.5 and frequently jump between a 12 or 13 depending on brand. The size 13 Lowa Hunter GTX extreme is what I brought home after trying them on today. $382.50 out the door from Barney's Sports Chalet (10% off in may). Somehow I walked out of the shop with a new MH wind stopper jacket too, not really sure how that happened....

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Also keep in mind that Lowa has a 60 day no questions asked guarantee. Pick up a pair and if they dont fit youright take them back and get a pair that fits better.

I put a pair of smart feet insoles in mine too, made a lot of difference. Ive got low arches and the orange really helps.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Thats interesting Ronster because I wear a Blue smart feet insole in just about every shoe I wear and It seems to help a LITTLE with my flat feet. Is the orange more pronounced?

Also keep in mind that Lowa has a 60 day no questions asked guarantee. Pick up a pair and if they dont fit youright take them back and get a pair that fits better.

I put a pair of smart feet insoles in mine too, made a lot of difference. Ive got low arches and the orange really helps.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
The arch in the orange seemed to fit me a lot better. The blues work better in my running shoes but the orange in the Lowa feels 100 times better on my feet.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I think they market the orange for low volume feet and for help with over pronation as well as plantar fasciitis. It has a little more cushion. That said, I haven't found them effective for me personally, but some other insoles do help quite a bit. Best one for me is Power Step Pinnacle. Every foot is different and mine is a weird one. Most folks seem to like the superfeet quite a lot.