What Insole do you run in your Lowas?

GotDraw?

WKR
SOLE, Dean Karnazas model, heat molded (approx 200 degrees or so in your oven).

Fabulous insoles. Use them in Lowa Tibets and Lowa Caminos.
Lay your stock insoles on them, trace a pattern with a pen and trim the toe area to fit.

Never one blister, never one case of toe-jam from descending.

Daniel_M

WKR
SOLE, Dean Karnazas model, heat molded (approx 200 degrees or so in your oven).

Fabulous insoles. Use them in Lowa Tibets and Lowa Caminos.
Lay your stock insoles on them, trace a pattern with a pen and trim the toe area to fit.

Never one blister, never one case of toe-jam from descending.

Might wanna read up on the modern day SOLE performance line. The cork bedding is known for cracking into chunks. I got 20 miles on a set before noticing the issue and returned them.

The older SOLE were great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
I had Gerhard Rill @ Foot Support Group (likely retired) in Grand Junction build custom ones to my feet, 3 sets: rigid w cork for alpine ski boots, and 2 pair without cork for hiking and running shoes, also tele boots. Paid for them w end-of-year unspent medical cafeteria plan $ that I needed to use or lose. That was 20+ yr ago, all 3 pairs remain intact and work well.

GKPrice

Banned
Trying to find out what insole fits these boots the best. The search function didn't yield many results; L&S, superfeet, etc. Hoping to get input from guys running the Lowa Tibet GTX specifically. What aftermarket insole do you run? Please specify if you have a high/low arch. Thanks

I never run in my Lowas, hike only .....

GotDraw?

WKR
I have 3 years hard/steep hunting on my SOLE footbeds, not a single issue. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
That said, I will Google cracking. I do not run in my SOLE inserts and my boots have stiff soles, perhaps the issue you point out is more with flexible running shoe type soles that repeatedly flex the SOLE inserts?

JL

Might wanna read up on the modern day SOLE performance line. The cork bedding is known for cracking into chunks. I got 20 miles on a set before noticing the issue and returned them.

Daniel_M

WKR
I have 3 years hard/steep hunting on my SOLE footbeds, not a single issue. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
That said, I will Google cracking. I do not run in my SOLE inserts and my boots have stiff soles, perhaps the issue you point out is more with flexible running shoe type soles that repeatedly flex the SOLE inserts?

JL

I dunno. My boots are full shank, so pretty stiff. I had been running the prior, non corked Ed Viesurs thick soles, with no issues, but the Scarpas needed less volume so I tried the Deans, which chunked out.

GotDraw?

WKR
FWIW- My SOLE insoles are the older Black bottomed version and are still sound.

I have no experience with this new more cork-looking construction, but I always had a hunch that even the original black-bottomed inserts may have had a cork component in them. I am curious why SOLE changed the formula, must be either: 1) Cheaper to produce (therefore better pricing margin), 2) Faster or easier to produce, therefore more throughput on the assembly line, 3) Perceived improvement.

I tried Googling up "failures" in SOLE inserts and did not come up with much, maybe 1-2 instances. Sorry to hear of your issue.

I will say that I considered getting some sort of a urethane or gel insole, but my feet perspire a lot so I was concerned that a gel style insert would be problematic RE my socks getting damp due to perspiration--- which leads to blisters.

Happy for years with the SOLE brand. Will try the newer cork style soon and see if I get any durability issues.

All of that said, I think it's time to get into the insole business. SOLE brand are now $50, for machine made INSOLES! Holy smoke, a good pair of boots can be had for $300 on sale!

Best,

JL

Whistler

FNG
I run the Spenco soft insoles in my Tibets. I would say I have average arches.
One thing I have wandered about running the hard shell superfeet type insoles is that I would think the hard plastic would impinge into the gore tex membrane over time and cause leaks???