Kenetrek Mountain Extremes review thread

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coming up on 15 miles now and the hot spots are nearly gone. I'm still getting some minor heel slip but it's lessening. Wearing them around town and at work a couple days has helped tremendously as opposed to jumping into hard miles with weight.

nickstone

WKR
I have NI mountain extremes and found them to be pretty true to size. I ended up with 11 wide. I've read that Kenetrek suggests a 50 mile break in period, and mine have done nothing but fit better the more I wore them. I did have some heel slippage at first, but sent them back in and Kenetrek sewed in some material. I believe it was just due to the shape of my foot and that I went with the wide version.

Logan T

WKR
One suggestion I'd have is getting some Freesole and applying it to the boot where the rand meets the leather. Just a little bit does the trick and you won't have to worry about the rand separating from the boot for a long, long time. When I got my first pair of Kenne's a long time ago, that is something the guys in the shop suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
One suggestion I'd have is getting some Freesole and applying it to the boot where the rand meets the leather. Just a little bit does the trick and you won't have to worry about the rand separating from the boot for a long, long time. When I got my first pair of Kenne's a long time ago, that is something the guys in the shop suggested.

I'll have to try that.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got about 25 miles on the boots now and the hot spots are completely gone and almost all of my heel slip issue is fixed by wearing better socks. It seemed easier to break these in a little at a time rather than just jump straight into hard miles. They seem to get more comfortable all the time now. Come on opening day!!!

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got them waxes up and yep they aren't as pretty anymore. Here's one with wax and one without.

Wyatt from Kenetrek told me that unwaxed boots can take on as much as 1 lb of water. Seemed like good enough reason to me to wax them. He also said freesole is unnecessary.
02be199b810aff2018a118138ee79c43.jpg

Hey William,

Glad you got the wax and got the boots treated. You'll be thankful you did in the long run.

Also, just to clarify, Freesole is not necessary at the beginning of the life of the boot, however as a repair product for potential rand delam spots down the road, it's the best thing going.

-Wyatt

You guys with the NI mountain extremes, do they seem ok to you in warm temps. Mine have been a little warmer than expected, I wear whites when I am not wearing the kenetreks, and the kenetreks seem quite a bit warmer.

Have not kept track of the miles on this new pair, but I have been wearing them to work, and they are well broken in. I had NO heel slip issues, but I am pretty fussy about how boots fit, and how I lace them

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys with the NI mountain extremes, do they seem ok to you in warm temps. Mine have been a little warmer than expected, I wear whites when I am not wearing the kenetreks, and the kenetreks seem quite a bit warmer.

Have not kept track of the miles on this new pair, but I have been wearing them to work, and they are well broken in. I had NO heel slip issues, but I am pretty fussy about how boots fit, and how I lace them
I have the non insulated ones as well and I agree they are considerably warmer than I expected. They seem to do okay in warm weather though.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Over 11 days use in the mountains and while the altitude flat out kicked my ass this year, the boots performed very well. Full write up coming soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I've been wearing mine for 4 years now and I got them used off Ebay to start with (in like new shape). I take good care of them, wax them every fall and now that they are well broke in I try to only use them when I need the stiffness. I want it any time I'll be sidehilling a lot, but for conditioning hikes around home and warm, dry hunts I can get by with cheaper Saloman 4D GTX boots. Even when I hunt in the Saloman boots the Kennetreks are in the truck to put on after the first trip out hauling meat. I love the Kennetreks and they are great quality, just trying to make them last since they cost quite a bit to replace.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Even when I hunt in the Saloman boots the Kennetreks are in the truck to put on after the first trip out hauling meat. I love the Kennetreks and they are great quality, just trying to make them last since they cost quite a bit to replace.

They are not cheap and that is a good idea to just use them when needed and put the wear on cheaper boots I’m a fellow miser too!