Kenetrek Mountain Extremes review thread

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to be running the kenetrek mountain extremes this season and thought I'd start a thread on them.

I just got them today and wore them around the house and in my yard a bit, so haven't really put them through their paces yet. My initial impressions are these boots are very well built and it's pretty obvious why Kenetrek is considered a top tier boot. When I first put them on I had a strange pressure point but it turns out that was caused by me being a dumbass and not changing into some decent socks that weren't wrinkled there. After the sock issue I had no real pressure points. The boots are a fair amount stiffer than my last pair and will definitely take some break in. They have surprisingly good arch support as well.

That's my thoughts for now, I'll update as I break them in and put miles on.

***REVIEW IS LIVE ON THE HOMEPAGE*** Review: Kenetrek Mountain Extreme

f6a424eb0412fda5e46a3fc303e51fd7.jpg
24bccea7b0cf58b0c8e06eaf70bdbe26.jpg
abce0efab66827ebd35e33545f875bd3.jpg
b08138eaec8770645437f3b72216af58.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesP

WKR
I've been wearing mine for a couple years and in my opinion they are great boots! Anxious to hear what you think of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

matthewmt

WKR
I have a pair of insulated mountain extremes. Picked them up late spring so I haven't had much time to break them in. Looking forward to them this fall.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
Them babies could use some wax

Be careful with the wax. I have also used wax on all my leather boots in the past, but found that it can delaminate the rubber rand if applied too liberally in that area. It eats the glue is what Lowa tells me. It can also limit the breathability. I'm not saying don't use it, just be aware of those two effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning I got a mile and a half or so in with 50 lbs on my back and the boots did better than I had hoped. Under the microscope of wearing them around my house I had some hot spots and my left heel slipped a bit, but once I actually got them on the trail the hot spots were mostly gone and I believe they will Disappear Completely once they're broke in and the heel slip was very minimal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wearing a new pair today, bought a pair of insulated ones last fall, and liked them so much that I wanted a pair of un insulated ones.

One thing I learned with this new pair, is to try on a couple different sizes, and a few of the same size, as the sizing (even marked the same) can run slightly different. I tried on 3 different pairs of 9s (all mountain extreme NI) and the widths, especially from the ball of the foot forward, varied quite a bit.

Great boot. Had mine for 1.5 years. Put them through one season. Very happy with them. Great support. Significantly reduced ankle/foot fatigued when compared to my previous boots. I expected this b/c Kenetreks are much stiffer. I wore these everyday for 4-6 months around the house. Lace them. Unlace them . Lace them. Unlace them. You get the point. Really helps break in the leather b/c I wanted the leather to stretch during the break-in process not when I'm in the woods. Tried different lacing techniques until I found the one that worked from me. For me, the boots weren't amazing out of the box and there's no way I would have used them deer/elk hunting. I'm sure they would have tore up my feet and ended my hunt early.

After 2 weeks they were okay, after 4 weeks they started to grow on me, after 2 months I was happy, after 3-4 months I knew they would be a great hunting boots.

You must use Kenetrek wax. Don't use anything else. Per Kenetrek customer support, the warranty will be voided, if you use anything other than their product.

Last edited:
OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got another couple miles in yesterday and the pressure points I noticed before are significantly less. I think I'll wear them around town for a bit to help break them in but they do seem to be softening nicely in all the right ways.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got another couple miles in yesterday and the pressure points I noticed before are significantly less. I think I'll where them around town for a bit to help break them in but they do seem to be softening nicely in all the right ways.

Exactly what I'm experiencing with my Hardscrabble's, they were scary hard when I first put them on, but now with a good backpack hike under my belt, there are a lot softer.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly what I'm experiencing with my Hardscrabble's, they were scary hard when I first put them on, but now with a good backpack hike under my belt, there are a lot softer.

Ya I think they are going to end up being a very good boot, but they definitely require break in. I too was nervous at first because of the stiffness, but I think that they are softening on the right ways and the stiffness will remain where it belongs to maintain support. I think within 20 miles or so I should be gtg.

As Mule3006Elk stated, use only Kenetrek Wax on them. I haven't had any problems with my Mountain Extremes as far as the rand delaminating, and have used the wax numerous times. They have gotten darker and darker because of the wax, but they sure seem waterproof.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
As Mule3006Elk stated, use only Kenetrek Wax on them. I haven't had any problems with my Mountain Extremes as far as the rand delaminating, and have used the wax numerous times. They have gotten darker and darker because of the wax, but they sure seem waterproof.
I'll order some today, thanks