Is waterproofing important?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
How necessary is a waterproof boot for western/mountain hunting? Specifically Colorado in October.
Most of my years of hiking have been in either dry areas or the southeast. In either place, snow is not a problem. I've found that typically the breathability and better air-dry properties of more breathable footwear has been better for me in these places. Waterproof boots make my feet sweat, which leads to blisters. I avoid creeks if I can, and if not, the non-waterproof boots definitely "walk dry" much quicker.

So my question is, will those things be big benefits in the mountains? Or will the waterproofing help keep my feet much drier and therefore warmer in the snow? Maybe feet sweating isn't an issue with a slower hunting pace and frequent stops for glassing. I know its probably a super basic noob kinda thing to ask, but despite all my hiking, I just haven't got the experience in Fall/winter in the mountains yet.

mlob1one

WKR
Depending upon region and elevation the weather can be dramatically different.

I waterproof mine for a few reasons...
-never know when I'll need to cross a creek.
- waking up to snow or heavy dew can soak through rapidly.
- i feel like it tightens them up a bit, but that's purely anecdotal. My feet typically run hot, but I really like leather boots

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I guess I can't help you, since I wear rubber boots down here most of the time. Heck, I get to some of my deer and turkey spots with a pirogue. With that being said, I always wear waterproof boots when I hunt out West.

twall13

WKR
It's kind of a personal preference. I like waterproof boots but I know Luke and Becca Moffet have hunted in non waterproof shoes in Alaska where your feet are definitely going to get wet. If you are okay with walking them dry if they get wet rather than having sweaty feet they may be fine for you. Either way I'd suggest a good pair of gaiters.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
In September I think you'd be fine, less chance of heavy snow. In October it's a crap shoot, anywhere from 65 and sunny to 1-2 feet of snow. I've had some very cold feet in non waterproof boots after they were wet from hiking in snow and the temps started dropping later in the day.

Most of your quality waterproof boots are made with a membrane similar to Gore-Tex that allows water (sweat) to escape but keeps moisture (water) out and away from your feet. As long as the membrane stays intact, your feet should stay dry which allows them to stay warmer.
Leather is porous, and even with waterproofing spray or wax, if you walk far enough on a hunt, they won't stay waterproof in the creases or seams just by their porous nature. If you encounter water and your feet get wet, they could get cold, and the excess moisture could cause extra friction in the boot and blisters could result.

1signguy

WKR
As stated- totally dependent on weather. However, no way I would go into the mtns in Oct in boots that weren't water proofed. Snow is a real possibility...
Take extra socks and change out 1-2 times a day if your feet sweat...

Gr8bawana

WKR
Waterproofing is not important until you find yourself walking in squishy wet boots after an early season snowfall or a couple of days of rain.

Super important as far as I'm concerned and for the places that I hunt. I apply a waterproof to my boots before the start of every season, whether they need it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sno-Seal is supposed to be real effective on leather boots. Warm it up, then rub it in well into the leather. If you can put the boots in the sun to warm them up, they will absorb the Sno-Seal better, or after you rub it in, use a hair dryer to heat and melt the wax to help it soak in.
The boots might have to be treated several times a season to help keep them waterproof.

chindits

WKR
I always wish my boots were more waterproof then they ever are. You can see it all even in Sept archery season up high. Days of rain. Snow. Or just the usual morning wet grass day after day with unknown late afternoon weather. But I don't have hot feet issues in the U. S. That doesn't mean I won't sport the speedcoss 3 in the summer but hunting has me moving a lot less and a lot slower.

IMO it is very important. A boot that is wet out will not breath and will weight much more than a dry one. Not to mention a wet out boot is much colder.

Depends again on conditions. For most elk hunting situations, besides NM and AZ, you're going to be happy to have a waterproof membrane in the boots. In regards to the foot sweat problem, you can go with a non-insulated boot with the waterproof membrane, and that will help. You can also adjust your sock system to better suit the conditions you're hunting in. Believe it or not, a liner sock and a mid-weight merino sock will help big time to cut down the sweaty feet.

If you have any other questions, happy to help.

-Wyatt @ Kenetrek

boom

WKR
waterproofing is important. the WETTEST i've ever been was a spring turkey hunt where i felt the casual mild climate would allow me to wear this FREE pair of desert warfare boots my brother gave me. boy was i wrong. zero rain, zero creek crossings..BUT, i underestimated the wetting power of morning dew on grass. my feet were squishy with water. what a disaster.

i got full water protection, 100% of the time now. those desert boots got demoted to my weekend mechanic, weed wacking boots.