Backup pair of boots

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got an October deer hunt in WY that I'll be covering a lot of ground doing day hunts. I've got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI as my main boots and love them. What would be a good pair of boots that I could take on the trip as back in case something happens to my main boots?

FWIW, I won't be able to spend as much on my backup boots as my main boots.

Thanks.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

Nubs

FNG
In my old age of 32, I'm finding lighter is better. Last year on my antelope hunt I traded my trusty Danner Acadias for my pair of Danner stalking boots I brought as a backup. I have seriously been considering trying the Salomons as well. Just my .02.

Think I paid 40$ for the stalking boots out of the Cabelas bargain cave.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I always have a backup. That goes or everything.
My plan with boots is to get new ones when the old pair is at what I repressive to be 50% life.
Then break in the new ones and start using old pair for work and as back up.

1signguy

WKR
For me on a day hunt deal- I would take a light pair of hiking boots and some camp/hotel shoes. Most importantly I would take leukotape and tape up before I start hunting... Not knowing your feet maybe change socks at lunch and a clean pair off socks daily.

The most important thing is a proper break in... My Fall hunting boots are on my feet as I write this...:)

mcseal2

WKR
I run the Kennetrek NI Mountain Extreme boots also for a lot of my hunts. I have a pair of 200 gram insulated Cabelas Meindl Alaskan boots I wear that fit and function similar to the Kennetrek boots but are a little heavier and warmer. They are about the same for stiffness. I use them conditioning and save the more expensive Kennetrek boots for hunting since both are well broke in now.

The other boots I just bought recently I'm trying out is the Salomon GTX 4D. It's replacing a pair of Danner pronghorns that got stolen with my vehicle a while back. So far I like them better. They are much lighter than the Kennetrek or Cabelas boots and have decent ankle support although not nearly what the other boots do. I will likely use them on some hunts with less steep terrain or side hilling. I need the ankle support if I'm side hilling all day. I will also always have the stiffer boot in the truck or at base camp so I can switch when packing meat after the first load. The Salomon is light and comfy but when I've worn them conditioning I can definitely feel the thinner sole after a few miles of hiking over rocks. It has it's advantages too, easier to walk quietly and feel what's underfoot.

For camp or hotel shoes I have LL Bean rubber bottom, leather top moccasins that work well and keep socks dry with a dew or after a rain. If weight is an issue I like the Dawgs brand Hound shoes that look like Crocs but are lighter and really comfortable to me. They won't stop a big thorn from getting to your foot though, they need used with caution.

Basically the Kennetreks are my main boots. For cold wet weather the Cabelas boots are my back-up. For warm dry weather the Salomons are my back-up.