Best boot for the buck?

GMO44

FNG
Are kenetrek, lowa, lathrop and sons, and crispi worth the money? Which are the best bang for the buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At that price point you stop worrying about best bang for buck and just worry about what works for your feet.

That said, a couple things I've done to save money:
- buy European boots from European shops online - I've gotten La sportiva and Hanwag about 40% off that way but did so knowing how they fit before hand.
- use sites like cheap and steep and Sierra trading post. My buddy got some great zamberlans for like $120 from Sierra trading last year

My favorites, from experience, are Lowa, La Sportiva, and Zamberlan. They're worth every single penny. The new Lathrops boots are high on my list to try as well, the have a lot of features that I like in a boot. Crispi boots feel cheap to me. The soles and footbeds just don't feel as heavy duty as other high end boots. But if you favor a more flexible boot, they may be your thing. The thing to do now is make a list of things you want in a boot, and go try on every one that fits the bill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
All those brands are going to be similar in price. For me personally I prefer Lowa. They just fit my feet well. Check out shoebuy.com for the best deals I could find on Lowas. Sign up for the emails and they send 20 to 30% off coupons almost every week. I bought the Lowa Evo Extreme's for $300. These are $450 boots. Best boots I've ever owned. Bad thing is though no matter which brand you go with the stock insoles suck so spend some money on a good quality insole. I have the Lathrop and Sons insole which is good but for my feet I prefer the Superfeet Copper insoles because I have flat feet. Again this is all about preference. I bought some Cabela's Meindl boots which are great boots but couldn't get them to fit right and always ended up with a heel blister so I sold them after one season.

Trial153

WKR
Foot wear like optics have a direct correlation between price and quality.
Your simply not going to get a 100 boot that has the same materials and quality as a three or four hundred dollar boot.
That aside it's purely subjective in what fits you well. Zamberlans, Lowa, Crispi, kenetrek, menidil ....they are all quality products and for the most part applicable boots will be similar price points.

rodney482

WKR
Ive used those high dollar mountain boots and they are just too rigid and stiff for my liking. I will gladly stick with my Salomon hikers, $140 and I get 3 seasons out of them. I will take comfort over longevity.

"Worth it" is really subjective like others have mentioned. Having done some brutally long mountaineering trips I can say a boot that is robust, supportive and properly fits your foot is always worth it. Some guys are lucky and can wear just about anything and be fine. Others (like me) need to do a lot more research and trial and error to get the right boot.

For the brands you've mentioned, my experience with Crispi has been about 50/50 so far. One pair has been great, another has been a bit disappointing. My favorites have been La Sportiva, Scarpa and Asolo...All rock solid quality boots.

If you have any questions on Kenetreks, let me know. In my opinion (obviously, I'm biased), a stiff mountain boot has a lot of advantages over others if the conditions you are hunting in require that level of support. Less foot fatigue being a big advantage, as well as durability, traction, support, ect... I can go into further detail if you'd like.

-Wyatt @ Kenetrek

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't have said it better. I lucked out and found a pair of used Mountain Extremes and I will never look back.
If you have any questions on Kenetreks, let me know. In my opinion (obviously, I'm biased), a stiff mountain boot has a lot of advantages over others if the conditions you are hunting in require that level of support. Less foot fatigue being a big advantage, as well as durability, traction, support, ect... I can go into further detail if you'd like.

-Wyatt @ Kenetrek

GKPrice

Banned
Cabela's Meindl 's - there are ample styles and sizing to fit virtually anyones' feet and with the return policy how can a guy (or gal) lose ?

stevevan

WKR
Another vote for Cabela's Meindl's - I ended up getting a pair by waiting for one of Cabela's promotions and using my Cabela's points. Ended up costing less than half of those big name boots.

If the Meindls fit you buy them. You will know when you put them on. If they don't then the Lowas probably will.

i like a stiff boot but shelling out $300 or $400 wasn't in the cards so i picked up a pair of scarpa triolet on STP for $150. couldn't be happier with them.

The Doob

FNG
I had a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes on a Wilderness hunt. my buddies all had flatlander boots, I was the happiest guy in Camp. My feet were warm, dry and blister free.