Saloman X Alp Mountain & Quest 4D 2 GTX

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Anyone out there have some miles on the X Alp Mountain? I went and tried on both and the fit is identical between the X Alp and Quest with the X Alp having a more stiff feeling similar to a solid leather Kenetrek or Asola. I went in with full intentions to buy the Quest after all the positive things I have read from everywhere. I've never worn or used a lightweight hiking style boot as I've always worn solid leather heavy duty boots. I saw the X Alp and it appealed to me as a cross over and I really liked the fact there wasn't seams everywhere, but I can find zero info on them. The store owner said the Quest is the top selling everywhere you go..

I have both, prefer the support offered by the x alp and they are still very nimble and comfortable. That said, the first pair I got leaked immediately. The quests aren't perfect in that regard either.

I have a brand new pair of x alps in 10.5 still that I'd sell for a steal if you so happen to be that size.

I have both, prefer the support offered by the x alp and they are still very nimble and comfortable. That said, the first pair I got leaked immediately. The quests aren't perfect in that regard either.

I have a brand new pair of x alps in 10.5 still that I'd sell for a steal if you so happen to be that size.

all boot makers have lemons..... the x alps are a great boot for everything besides nearly vertical for extended time. i do wish they would make a more breathable version, perhaps similar to the new spry. the x alp walks well in the lows into the transition all the way to the steeps. all peeps have there own ideas but the x alp is a versatile mtn boot paired with super feet trail insoles and u be having happy feet. like i stated i would like to see a more breathable version for the dry heat. the current version is great in snow as is. pick your poison i suppose.

OP
Mk7mmSTW

Mk7mmSTW

WKR

Sent you a message

OP
Mk7mmSTW

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
all boot makers have lemons..... the x alps are a great boot for everything besides nearly vertical for extended time. i do wish they would make a more breathable version, perhaps similar to the new spry. the x alp walks well in the lows into the transition all the way to the steeps. all peeps have there own ideas but the x alp is a versatile mtn boot paired with super feet trail insoles and u be having happy feet. like i stated i would like to see a more breathable version for the dry heat. the current version is great in snow as is. pick your poison i suppose.

Thanks for the input, I've read a couple reviews of leaking, but I've read hundreds/thousands of positives on the quest and x Alp so I agree you can get a lemon or two. Breathable would be nice, but not huge for me as I'm used to solid leathers that are heat factory's. I hunt steep rocky country which is why the support of the X Alp caught my attention over the Quest and the covered seams really appeals as I see less wear out points and leaks.

ghost338

FNG
Glad to see this thread since I've had the same question. I've wanted a stiffer version of the Quest, but no one in my area carries the X Alp for comparison. How much stiffer would you estimate the X Alp?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

X alp mtn are a bit stiffer heel to toe but there is still plenty of flex for comfortable walking in flats. They are more of an improvement in lateral stiffness in the sole and upper. The quest sole is wide and rolls easier on side hills which is where x alp is the biggest improvement IMO.

Fatcamp

WKR
I just bought a pair of the X-alp Pro off Amazon. Hope they fit.
Really needing more ankle support on steep terrain.

Fatcamp

WKR
Boots came today. Accurate size to fit for me, but I have pretty universal feet.

Wore them around for an hour while doing housework. They are stiff which is what I was after.

I'll take the time to hike with a pack this weekend.

Anyone out there have some miles on the X Alp Mountain? I went and tried on both and the fit is identical between the X Alp and Quest with the X Alp having a more stiff feeling similar to a solid leather Kenetrek or Asola. I went in with full intentions to buy the Quest after all the positive things I have read from everywhere. I've never worn or used a lightweight hiking style boot as I've always worn solid leather heavy duty boots. I saw the X Alp and it appealed to me as a cross over and I really liked the fact there wasn't seams everywhere, but I can find zero info on them. The store owner said the Quest is the top selling everywhere you go..

Ive got quite a few summer miles on the x alps. and honestly I love them and they were exactly what i was looking for. I was really tired of getting boots that are crazy stiff in order to get the support i need laterally as I dont need that stiffness 90% of the time. They still have a decent amount of flex heel to toe but are super rigid laterally (IE side hilling). To me they are almost the perfect boot for me, they have good support, lateral rigidity, but don't feel like boards on my feet when in non technical terrain.

Keep in my that they are more of a winter designed alpine boot, so they run a little hot for me above 60 degrees, but not any worse then an all leather boot really.

Fatcamp

WKR
Xalp Pro is proving to be a great shoe. Spent some time in some rough country, no problems. No foot pain. Really like them.

Fatcamp

WKR
No problems with waterproofing. Sunday was a wet, drizzly day. Feet stayed dry. Used low gaiters with them.