Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker review

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been lingering for years, but this review inspired me to create an account. I have simply never been more disappointed in a piece of footwear. I got mine a little over two years ago and the waterproofing didn't last until archery elk season. I did a number of alpine lake backpacking trips, and I do hike a lot, but I figure I got less than 100 miles out of these boots before complete failure. The sides blew out and the wind-tex sock wore out. They we're in the garbage 18 months after I bought them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I got 17 months and 80 miles to go, stay tuned. They'd have to seriously take a turn for the worst in the next 80 miles to match your experience.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Don't let that three week absence fool you, I've been in the hills most all of that. I'm losing track but I should have about 30 days on these boots now. Not all day use, but when they're on, it's one to four miles. I'd estimate 30 miles or so.

They were a little tougher to break in, but once they were, I've had no problems. Remember I have a big fat foot so their wides fit, but no room to spare and when I sidehill, I can feel it but not enough to blister me or get me sore.
attachment.php

What they are excellent at is support to weight ratio. When I archery hunt in hot weather, I use very light hikers. Once the weather cooled and I put the Hardscrabbles on, I realized just how much support they have but they are not too stiff (earlier they were, but now you only feel the support.) I've carried a 50lb pack with them and they handle well.

The country I've been hunting is very rocky and nasty.
attachment.php

Here are some wear & tear pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

they're doing well. What I haven't hunted in is rain and wet, but that's coming so stay tuned.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Robby,

I'm enjoying your review, cause I've been thinking about getting a pair of these. I've been using their Mountain Extreme NI boots. I've found them to be very waterproof, so I would expect the same out of the ones you're wearing.

Good luck on your hunts and with your boots.

I'll be "retesting" mine the first week of October in WY. Lol

Gumbo

WKR
I've been lingering for years, but this review inspired me to create an account. I have simply never been more disappointed in a piece of footwear. I got mine a little over two years ago and the waterproofing didn't last until archery elk season. I did a number of alpine lake backpacking trips, and I do hike a lot, but I figure I got less than 100 miles out of these boots before complete failure. The sides blew out and the wind-tex sock wore out. They we're in the garbage 18 months after I bought them.

I'm sorry, but this is absolute garbage. How can a side blow out on a hardscrabble? Kennetreks are incredibly burly boots, except for the Bridgers, but no one with experience would buy those expecting anything more than what they are. I have 3 pairs of Kennetreks and my wife has one. I have Hardscrabbles on right now. The only issue I have had is some minimal stitching separation on the inside heel cup of my UI Mountain Extremes, which took 5 years and countless hard miles to happen. In spite of this they are still fully waterproof and will last another year at least. I will replace them with another pair. I know some folks get wicked blisters in these, but I am fortunate enough to never get blisters in any boot that fits properly. You can't buy a better boot than Kennetrek provided they work for your foot type.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Gumbo and N2Turkeys, thanks for chiming in. I'm sure these boots are plenty waterproof, and I'm certainly not gonna find out in one season of use, just want to let people now I am going to get them wet. Good to hear I can look down the road a few years and expect them to be performing well. Mtnjacks post perplexed me too, but if that's truly his experience, this is the place to post it. I just can't see these boots falling apart that fast based on how I've use them so far. No I'm not a hard-core backpacker, but I do put some miles in and I hunt a lot.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be "retesting" mine the first week of October in WY. Lol

We'd love some pics of your "retesting". Honestly that's the one thing that we Rokstaff really can't comment on in our reviews, we typically get a boot, use it for a season and then write about it. It's you guys that have three or four years of use on a boot that we need to hear from.

Good luck on your hunts too

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my final update as I'm putting the boots away till spring. I wore them from 90+ degrees all the way down to the twenties (I'd only recommend them for temps around freezing and below for active hunts as they are uninsulated,) and from dry to raining to snowing conditions.

attachment.php

I realize boots are the most subjective piece of gear we use, but I had great experiences with these; "comfortably stable" is the best way I can describe them.

attachment.php

This is them after about 45 days use and probably 50-100 miles (very hard to estimate that one). No rand separation, no excessive wear, broke in well before the 50 mile mark. No leakage either. I can't imagine not getting 3-5 seasons of use out of these for me.
attachment.php

I packed out a front quarter and cape, skull, antlers on a buck (prolly 50#?) 1.5 miles of down and up terrain, and they did very well with no blisters or hotspots.

I have a very hard time believing it when people say they're wearing holes in these in less than 100 miles! I'm not as hardcore as some, but I do hunt a lot and most mule deer terrain is as unforgiving as any. Ultimately everyone has their own experiences and we can only hope that people are being truthful and not have a hidden agenda.

With higher end boots waterproofing problems seem to happen in 2nd or 3rd year. I have a pair of Cabelas Meindl boots that are on the 3rd year now and they have started a small leak on the right foot at the toe. No squishy water but the big toe feels a little moist and the wool sock confirms that its a little wet-can't wring anything out but it's a little damp. Bought some Crispi Kanada boots last year from a guy on this forum and used them a little in December archery elk but they were stiff and uncomfortable so I usually wore other boots. Used them a bit more this year with more weight in the pack and a bigger pack and they were lots more comfortable. Still searching for the just right insole for them and they are the only boots that didn't leak-and it's been raining here since September. Kenetrek are my next boot to try, just got to narrow it down to which model.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
With higher end boots waterproofing problems seem to happen in 2nd or 3rd year. I have a pair of Cabelas Meindl boots that are on the 3rd year now and they have started a small leak on the right foot at the toe. No squishy water but the big toe feels a little moist and the wool sock confirms that its a little wet-can't wring anything out but it's a little damp. Bought some Crispi Kanada boots last year from a guy on this forum and used them a little in December archery elk but they were stiff and uncomfortable so I usually wore other boots. Used them a bit more this year with more weight in the pack and a bigger pack and they were lots more comfortable. Still searching for the just right insole for them and they are the only boots that didn't leak-and it's been raining here since September. Kenetrek are my next boot to try, just got to narrow it down to which model.

Give Wyatt Nielson at Kenetrek a call and tell him your needs. He’ll help you narrow it down. He helped me select the Hardscrabbles based on my needs.

matthewmt

WKR
Still working on Breaking in my mountain extremes. May need some super feet, little heel rub on one of my boots.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

lewy

FNG
I'm on my third pair of hardscrabbles, really like them. I also run the lathrop and sons footbed, great combo.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on my third pair of hardscrabbles, really like them. I also run the lathrop and sons footbed, great combo.

Three pair!!!! You should’ve written the review. Do you know how many miles you do each year and number of years before you retire a pair? I guessed in the review how long they’d last me, but very interested in your experience

lewy

FNG
Three pair!!!! You should’ve written the review. Do you know how many miles you do each year and number of years before you retire a pair? I guessed in the review how long they’d last me, but very interested in your experience

I'd say I get 2-3 years out of them. I run em from spring to fall then switch to the 400g mt extremes when the snow flies. As far as miles I couldn't even guess but it's alot. I also use gators 90% of the time and I think that helps with some wear and tear. Our western Washington weather tends to be hard on the leather (wet then dried over night then wet again the next day). The typical leather failure spot for me has been the crease between the first and second eye's, seems to crack there. Another down fall would be that the glue for the sole and rand is very heat sensitive. All in all they have been really good boots tho..

I'd say I get 2-3 years out of them. I run em from spring to fall then switch to the 400g mt extremes when the snow flies. As far as miles I couldn't even guess but it's alot. I also use gators 90% of the time and I think that helps with some wear and tear. Our western Washington weather tends to be hard on the leather (wet then dried over night then wet again the next day). The typical leather failure spot for me has been the crease between the first and second eye's, seems to crack there. Another down fall would be that the glue for the sole and rand is very heat sensitive. All in all they have been really good boots tho..

Heat sensitive as in don't kick your feet up around the fire at night? Or bad enough that you should be worried about using a boot dryer?

Unfortunately, most quality boot/shoe failures these days seem to be glue-related, which the EPA isn't helping. I want the stuff that will knock a buzzard stone dead off a gut pile from a single whiff and give your great grandchildren birth defects if you get a drop of it on your skin for me to trust it. The water based, solvent-free stuff isn't hacking it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That’s funny stuff Gator.

Thanks Lewy for the info. I’ll keep these waxed up.