Lathrop and Schnees

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Well, just when I thought it was problem solved, problem again. I talked with Schnees and went to a local place they recommended to be fitted for. They gave me sizing info and based on this, ordered a size. Got them Thursday, and they are way too big. No problem, order another size, Schnees even sent a call tag. Out dove hunting yesterday, get a call and they tell me they are out of stock until mid September. Even if there is no more delays or unexpected, I am looking at 5 weeks before my hunt before they would even arrive. On top of that, they may not even fit right, this first boot had some pinching issues where the first grommet is on both boots. Assuming it is because it was a half or maybe a whole size too big, but can't tell for sure. Could just not fit my foot right.

Soo...now back to the drawing board and the hunt approaches. I have been trying to get these boots since March or so. Seems waiting on the new version may not have been my best bet, but they are great people to work with and that warranty, no one matches that.

Still, open to options. Kenetrek does not fit right, nor, so far, have Lowa's. Crispi Idaho's reinforment bars also did not work out for me. Lathrop and Sons is one option. Any other ideas? Thanks!

I've had the bear tooths a few mint ago and sent them back. I now have a pair of L&S mountain hunters. In stiffness the mountain hunter blows the bear tooth away. The bear tooth is very comfortable and a nice boot. The hardware was lacking imho on the first ones. The beartooth 2 looks like they addressed that. The L&S mountain hunter feels very stiff but comfortable to me. The cam rocker insole is amazing and you can really feel the difference. I've have freaking 6 pair of boots in the last 3-4 months. I'm settling with the mountain hunters because I feel there the best boot I've had on my feet. I'd like to have tried the new beartooth 2's on but with just switching boots less than 4 weeks before my hunt made me nervous. So I bought the L&S last week and it gives me 5 weeks to get them right lol. I put 7 miles with 45#'s on them on the first hike. Felt great. No blisters and I could tell the boot leather and strings were stretching so there break my in. One thing about the schnees boots is there no questions ask returned policy they have. I did a 5 mile hike on my bear tooths before I sent them back. Just had to pay for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How stiff are the lathrop boots compared to boots like trango (cube or evo) or scarpa charmoz pro?

wildcat33

WKR
Besides whats already been mentioned, one of the few other boots I would consider is Zamberlan. The 960 guide is a really nice boot. A little trimmer and nimble on the foot than the Lowa Tibet (which it is very similar to). They do make some taller boots but they are a little harder to find. I think they are more suited to a narrow foot. For larger volume feet the Vioz might be the way to go.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, I don't know how those boots would fit, I have never seen them. According to the guy that measured me, I have between a d and EE width. Course, considering how far off the boots were when I go them, not sure he measured me right...or maybe Schnees boot was off or mislabled. Not sure. I will say I was measured on a brannock device and also on some kind of computer thing you stand on...Aetrex or something like that. Both called me an 11.5. Other times, people have measured and said I was an 11. So who knows.

I have a local REI, they don't have any tibets but sometimes have Zamberlans. Maybe I can check there and try some.

Might give Crispi's another try as well, or perhaps Lathrop. Just not sure how to proceed, sure wish those Schnees were in stock so I could put that to rest as to whether it will fit or not.

jjolg

FNG
Just took my Schnee's granites out for a actual hike, previously was just breaking them in around home. I must say they are wow, incredibly comfortable. A huge upgrade from the scarpa's i was running. I was considering changing out the footbed to a superfeet but am very happy with the one included.

Ill add when i first ordered they were out of stock and i guess have made some changes to the design but the wait was worth it, they even tossed in some extra gear to make up for it. More than pleased with the experiences and the boots

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
I have had nothing but great results from Lathrop and Sons, they will get you fit properly and have a ton of knowledge.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I've got both the older Schnees Beartooths and the new Lathrop and Sons Mountain hunter. Both are great boots however that doesn't mean anything if the boot doesn't fit you properly. The L&S Mountain hunter fits me the best and is a great boot I wouldn't hesitate to try a L&S boot or even the older beartooth if I was you. I just got the L&S this year and awaiting rifle seasons in CO and AZ to put it through the paces but during my hikes with it so far its been excellent. Made a little noise at first but once broken in its been quiet. The beartooths are now my back up. Ive worn my beartooths through wet snow a number of times for both Elk and Pheasants and have never had wet feet. I haven't had the L&S in wet snow yet but it seems like the boot is up to the task. If you go the L&S route get the footbed too that they sell.

If you go with Lathrop give them a call and explain your measurments etc they should be able to steer you to the best size.

Last edited:
OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response! I found from Schnees today that unless a miracle happens, there will be boot for me before mid-October at the very best. So I have to abandon that. Pity, they are really good folk. So talked to James Lathrop today. Really took a lot of time to ask many questions. Long and short, he understood I could not afford the 1k boot system, and actually did not recommend their boot for my foot. I think it's because I need a little more curve in the last. Anyway, I called Crispi today and talked with Kendall. Very nice guy. It sounds like we may have very similar feet, so I think I will be trying a set of the Nevadas. I'd love the taller guides, but I need an uninsulated boot. So that is where I am going next. Not exactly where I planned to be, really wanted a tall boot, but in the end, it looks like my best hope at the moment.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Finding a good fitting Mountain hunting boot can be a real pia sometimes at least it was for me. It doesn't matter how good the boot is if it doesn't fit YOUR foot. Worst case at least your eliminating boots which is getting you closer to the ONE!

wildcat33

WKR
Thanks for the response! I found from Schnees today that unless a miracle happens, there will be boot for me before mid-October at the very best. So I have to abandon that. Pity, they are really good folk. So talked to James Lathrop today. Really took a lot of time to ask many questions. Long and short, he understood I could not afford the 1k boot system, and actually did not recommend their boot for my foot. I think it's because I need a little more curve in the last. Anyway, I called Crispi today and talked with Kendall. Very nice guy. It sounds like we may have very similar feet, so I think I will be trying a set of the Nevadas. I'd love the taller guides, but I need an uninsulated boot. So that is where I am going next. Not exactly where I planned to be, really wanted a tall boot, but in the end, it looks like my best hope at the moment.

Good on Schnees, Lathrops, and Crispi for all giving you straight honest help, even if it meant not making a profit.

Akicita

WKR
Since your short on time I would recommend trying the following through REI or another source:
Scarpa Wrangell GTX
Scarpa Fuego

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I got another pair of boots in to try. I called up Crispi and ended up talking to Kendall, one of the owners. Did not know it at the time. Anyway, he and I apparently have very similar feet, he really suggested I try the Nevadas. Got them in yesterday, and so far, wearing the Gore socks I bought, they are very comfortable, considering. I say considering because I am comparing them to some old shoes I have been wearing for almost a year, that are formed to my feet. I think I will want a different insole, he suggested I would, but also said try them first. But so far, I think these are going to work well. Have not taken them outside yet, just wore them inside at work all day and in the house. I'll probably give it another day inside before calling it and taking them for a walk. But so far, so good!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ford or Chevy?
From my perspective working with them as sponsors, and owning footwear from both, they both are good. Lathrop specializes in getting boots to fit you, so those with problem feet should go that way. I've owned several brands of Schnee's with great luck.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Robby,

Yeah, I talked with both Stephen and James from Lathrop, and they spent a lot of time with me on the phone. Long and short, James actually pushed me away from their boot due to the apparent shape of my foot, and towards a different boot. That was very cool and honest of him. And Schnees just seemed like really great people, awesome warranty that stands out, but timing with their new line and Italian timelines just did not work out. I do have some difficult feet to deal with due to previous injury and subsequent surgery, so some boots (Kenetrek, Lowa, Zamberlan) just did not fit right. In the end, Kendall at Crispi was awesome to work with, and the guys at Black Ovis hooked me up. All that is to say, all three companies really worked hard to help out. I think all the products are quality. But individual boot fit is a real pain to deal with via mail. Hopefully, it's finally sorted for me. Now on to gaiters....

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had an awful experience purchasing from Schnee's, and posted about it here in the past. I managed to get my issue resolved, but it took an arduous effort on my part. From reports here, I thought Schnee's customer service was getting better (not that I would ever make another purchase from them), but after a conversation with a good friend of mine, it obviously has not. In his case, he used a credit card, but went through so much grief over a less than $50.00 purchase, he decided to just write it off. I on the other hand would have just used the consumer protections of the credit card to resolve the issue.

I get it, for many, their experience with Schnee's has been good. Mine and that of my buddy has been nothing short of atrocious. To top it off, the Schnee's advertised "we will make it right" is nothing more than a cheap statement, as no effort was even made to make things right for myself or my friend. Nope, nothing but empty words.

Schnee's, nope, I'll pass.

Really sorry to hear about your negative experience Bubblehide. We really do go out of our way and try to make our customers happy but no company or person is perfect and sometimes we drop the ball. On behalf of all of us, I would like to sincerely apologize. If there is anything I can do to help you or resolve the situation, please feel free to PM me.

And "we will make it right" is something we all believe in. We mean it and stand behind it. Unfortunately that has been getting abused by far to many, making it difficult to make everyone happy all of the time. But I can stay that I definitely mean it and will do whatever I can to make you happy.