Crispi Dakota GTX

Jbark60

FNG
The Dakota GTX's I can say safely are the worst boots I have ever owned. After an albeit short break in period of a week wearing them around the house, I took 9 mile hike which ended with two rolled ankles and plenty of blisters. I can appreciate if I was new to hiking but I spend about 100 days a year and well over 1000 miles on boots and have never had an issue like this with a pair. My last two boots have been Meindl's Alaskan Hunter and Zamberlain's 960 Guide GT (both great boots) but I won a $150 gift card at the Full Draw Film tour and thought I would give these a try, and apparently I went with the wrong model. After reading Les's review on the Wyoming GTX I'm guessing that is the route I should've went.
Here's my review if you DON'T plan on hiking rough terrain the Dakota's would be fine, but if there are elevation gains or rocks they are terrible.
I emailed customer service and was told to break them in more and buy some inserts, great help.

hmmm I just bought a pair. been wearing them to work to break in (construction). I've actually been pretty happy with the fit so far and no problems otherwise, except the fabric lacing loop being the dumbest thing ever. what caused your issues with this boot?

OP
J

Jbark60

FNG
I'm not sure, they are super stiff, so given that I got no where with Crispi, I will keep trying to break them in, just not in the mountains. Like I said I wore them around the house for 4 or 5 days and they fit great and felt great, but being on a rocky mountain they became more uncomfortable as the day wore on. The guy that responded to my email from Crispi said they are designed specifically so you don't roll your ankle, so they have 0 give. What happened to me on both my ankles, is I stepped on a rock I didn't see and as there was no give in the boot my whole ankle rolled and I almost ended up on my back side. I think a little give is ideal so it's not like you are wearing ski boots, but that's personal preference and I am sure everyone likes something different.

I went from a pair of Nevadas to the dakotas. The Nevadas fit me like tennis shoes comfy from the moment I put them on the toe box on the dakotas seems smaller to me than the Nevadas. Was having some pinching on my little toes and my foot was sliding forward hiking down hill. Tried a few different lacing techniques and solved the foot sliding forward problem I have a little over 50 miles on the boots now and they are just starting to get comfortable. Took them out for a 2 miles hike today and their getting more comfy every time I wear them. I was worried when I first bought them they weren't going to work but I think their going to work out nicely

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I picked up a pair right when they came out and wore them out of the box for spring turkey. Had a little heel lift and got a tiny blister. Hiked approx 10 miles in them.

After that I rocked them to work for a week straight. They have been great since. No issues. I have been using the heel lock lacing and that has been awesome for me.

Hopefully they work out for you.

OP
J

Jbark60

FNG
Thanks fellas, I will try different socks and lacing techniques till I break those suckers in. No way am I going to use them this season though hunting is tough enough with out having to worry about jacked up feet.

well I put mine to the ultimate test and they did not pass lol. 7 mile uphill pack in for an archery hunt. 70lb load and lots of miles later and my feet were smoked. Ive never had an issue with my feet. had subtle amounts of heel lift and with the load and uphill climb that resulted in some painful blisters on the backs of my heels. blisters were about the size of a nickle. Opening day I continued to hunt even with jacked up feet (dumb and tough), put in several more miles of both up and downhill. the steep down hills, my foot would slide and rub the pads of my feet, creating hot spots. Popped both blisters climbing out of a canyon back to camp (outch). spent day three glassing with my boots off airing out my feet.

And yes I wore these boots for about a month to work every day before the trip. guess I should have done more climbing. Had the boots laced as tight as I could to prevent my foot from moving inside the boot. And yes the boots are the correct size, perfect fit actually. I even replaced the insoles with some Spenco's before the trip. Bottom line..... these will be retired to serve as work boots just like my nevadas. Going back to solomon quests STAT!!!

jmez

WKR
Some boots just don't fit your foot. Doesn't make them a bad product, just the wrong one for you. If they don't fit your foot, you'll never get them "broken in."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk