Stiffer boots, harder heel cup?

Tpeirce

FNG
Coming from the east I have never been too concerned with footwear. We mostly use knee high rubber boots due to scent, low laying water and short hikes to a stand. Eastern hunting is pretty static compared to western hunting.
Over the past years I've consistently upgraded my gear for the western hunts. The one thing that has eluded me is a great pair of boots. I've read many threads. opinions and info on this site is valued to me.
last elk season I purchased a pair of Lowa's. They were bank! They were light, comfortable, lace locks are on point. Great boots! What I found hunting was, during elevation gains I would get a incredible amount of heel pressure on the back of my heel. My feet were pre-taped with leukotape so no blisters. Pain was so intense I could not even rest my feet on the floor board of the pickup after hunting. I had foot beds and high quality wool socks. 9 days hunting, no blisters. Just killer back of heel pain. Felt like my heels were being pushed against a wall.
This year I purchased a pair of "idahos" from crispi. Though not as stiff, still pressure on heel. Both boots have the ABSS. Ankle bone support system.
I've tried a couple different gel cushions for the back of the boots. Only small amount of relief. I'm going to try a pair of "summits" once my size comes in stock.
Question is, has anyone ran into this problem and if so are there any hacks? Thanks, tpeirce

I had the same experience with Lowas. I tried several footbeds with no change. I viewed it at a fit issue and got rid of them. The Scarpa Triolet is a damn stiff boot and I don't get the heel bash at all.

I'd say try a different boot.

Interesting, I have lowas and don't experience this. How is your dorsiflection? Tight achilleas and calf muscles can cause the issue you're describing. Not enough toward flex in ankle will shove your heal into the back of the heal cup. Calf raises and stretching will alleviate that.

OP
T

Tpeirce

FNG
I'll check out those boots and definitely need to stretch more. Thx

Bughalli

WKR
I had the same issue with Kenetrek's. I figured it was a break-in issue and still used them for training hikes and hunting. I put over 100 miles on them. I tried a few different Superfeet and achieved minor improvement. I sent them back to Kenetrek to have them work on them...maybe break them in differently? Still had issues on the steep hills. I eventually gave up and sold them. They just didn't fit my feet. I tested the Lowa's and just didn't feel right. For now I use the Solomon 4D's, super flexible so no issues, but I do miss having a stiff boot for steep terrain and a heavy pack. For a "stiffer" boot I'm using Asolo's, all leather stiff boot (Fugitives?). They're okay, no heel issue but seem a little narrow for me and I bought the wides. Seems like you trade one issue for another, so I'm still looking for the perfect boot, but don't have the budget to try something else. Was thinking about trying Scarpa next. Good luck.

Narrow heels maybe? Boot heel cup too wide for your feet? I have one pair of boots that I get that feeling from(pressing against the rear of heel cup) but does not result in pain, and ironically they are the most comfortable boots I have. To me it seems the heel cup is short and/or loose.