Insulation or no?

Hey guys!

In the market for some elk hunting boot for a trip to Colorado. Will be hunting mid September.

My feet tend to get cold easy and always first.

Would it be a bad idea to get a light insulation boot (like a 400) for mid September elk hunting in Colorado?

Should I just do no insulation with socks and a base sock?

I would suggest a non insulated and utilize merino liners and a mid weight merino outer sock. Been doing this for years and no issues with cold feet. Insulated boots are going too be heavier also and if poor insulation is used it will hold your sweat and make your feet feel cold.

slvrslngr

WKR
I would agree with the above post. You might also consider throwing an extra pair of socks in your day pack so you can change socks at mid-day, or when your feet feel damp and cold.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt you'll need insulation elk hunting in September. My feet always got cold in MS while treestand hunting, but since moving to MT I've only hunted in insulated boots a time or two, usually late November. I think you'll find that the amount of hiking you do will keep your feet plenty warm with a decent pair of socks. I like Smartwool, but many others are just as good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Unoboats

WKR
I would steer away from insulated but if your feet get cold they most likey are sweating, Lathrop and sons' father suggested a antipersperant on your feet before putting socks on. Works like a champ and no longer need a liner with my Merinos.. Hope this helps, it did for me.

Whatever you choose you need to get the boots on your feet and break them in.

I have been wearing my new hunting boots all summer under a training pack and they are still changing the way they feel. They have settled in and my feet are feeling really good in them but if I took them to the hills without lots of walking I would be in trouble.

If you are walking a lot, which you should be, your feet should stay plenty warm. The issue hits when you stop moving for a long time like tree stand hunting.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Then get 2 pairs of boots :p Seriously though, if you are talking about the Rocky Mountain West, I couldnt imagine humping around the hills on Sept. 1 in the same boots I might need at the end of November. If you are really going to be out covering ground from Sept. to Nov. you will need a warm weather and cold weather boot. If not, you'll probably wish you had 2 pair! Keep in mind though, this is coming from a guy that hunts in Sept. in trail running shoes!

1signguy

WKR
Non insulated and a good sock like Darn Tough. Lots of guys change socks midday... I take a pair to sleep in and a pair for day use. I wash the day pair each evening and hang dry all night. The bigger issue is that you have very little time to break a new pair of boots in properly. You better order some Luekotape and go buy boots this afternoon.