School me on gaiters

jwilkstn

FNG
I've picked up the Sitka Flash and the First Lite Traverse gaiters on here and quickly sold them both on here because neither would fit over my calves. I really want to try some, especially short and lightweight models such as those two, but this experience has burned me.

I recognize they have to fit tight in order to work, but there was no way to get my legs into those two pairs.

How do other models fit? What models have proven to hold up and be comfortable?

Stid2677

WKR
They do come in different sizes,, Outdoor Research OR makes some of the best. I use gaiters on all hunts and have several pairs,, the 2 pairs I have from Kuiu have both fell apart. The OR Croc gaiters are bulletproof.

While true that you have to order the right size to really enjoy them, the two gaiters you mentioned are both "short" models that are made to wear well below your calves. For hunting purposes, I like a taller gaiter to keep my pants from getting hung up in brush and dry in early mornings or rain. I have had great luck with the Kuiu Yukon gaiters, but wouldn't hesitate to use the First Lite or Sitka versions. Someone posted a link to these last week, and they look well built for a great price. Gaiters | Bino Harnesses, Rangefinder Carry Solutions, Gaiters, Accessories

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Kenetrek, been using them for three years now with no issues.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Also looking at gaiters, and right now, I am thinking Kenetrek or perhaps the First Lite brambler. I'll be using them in fairly thick brush, so quiet would be appreciated. I would really prefer non camo in both, but understand the kene's are quieter in camo, but I am not sure how much quieter. Anyone compare the noise between the two? And vs the First Lite?

I'm a fan of the kuiu Yukon gaiters I just picked up their scree gaiters for early season. I've used the kennetrek and first lite traverse gaiters in the past. The wife runs the OR crocs when it's wet and the traverse when it's dry

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
OR gaiters for me,,,,,

when it's real bad, I still have a pair of issue goretex gators from the early 90s,,,,toe cup and all,,,,,you could about wear sneakers with those,,,,,

wildcat33

WKR
OR Crocs are pretty burly. I find myself wearing them less and less though because they are noisy. If there were something out there that was as tough as the OR with a soft touch finish, I would be all about them. Probably is, I just haven't experimented with the hunting specific brands.

KHNC

WKR
Rivers West Gaiters have held up since 2012 for me. Stretch material fits large or small .

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look very hard at the kennetrek in either a L or XL. They were always too big for my chicken legs, but maybe they'll work. I used mine for a decade without a problem - just had to cinch them down as far as I could. The Mediums fit me better. I really like the Yukon gaiters from Kuiu, but they might be the same issue with calf fitting.

wildcat33

WKR
If you have good pants and 7" plus high boots, why the need for gaitors?

There's a variety of reasons to wear gaiters. Traditionally gaiters were worn by mountaineers to protect from catching their crampon spikes on their pants and also keep snow out of the boots when post-holing in deep snow. So same applies there for hunting. For general purpose, they are handy to keep your lower pants and boots drier when its raining or you're walking through thick wet vegetation. Ive been in willows so wet and thick they saturate your pants and water runs down your legs and into your boots. They can also be handy upland hunting in thick CRP or areas with lots of thorns.

But you are right, with good tall boots and hunting pants like sitka most of the time gaiters are not really essential; well unless you're Jim Shockey.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have KUIU but really am tired of Velcro. Picks up burrs, noisy, etc. My partner bought Core 4 on Camofire verify inexpensively. They have waterproof heavy duty zippers and are very well built. I may be switching....

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have good pants and 7" plus high boots, why the need for gaitors?

A valid question for sure, I just prefer a shorter boot. With my shorter boot preference, they keep shale and other crap out of the boot. Also, they have saved my bacon several times when crossing streams and a rock rolls causing your foot to go in too deep. As long as you hot foot it out, I haven't gotten my feet wet.

I'm in the OR Crocodile camp as well. They're about due to be replaced but they're relatively quiet now from how much I've used them. Except the velcro, that's still annoyingly loud.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I want gaiters for a couple reasons. One, for use in snow and stream crossings, wet grass in the morning etc....my boots are 8" tall and I want to keep my gear as dry as possible.

More than that, though, I live in Texas and we often hunt on foot, busting through fields and brush in the warmer months where ticks and chiggers are legion. Gotta wear permethrin and deet to keep them at bay and avoid lyme disease and several other nasties. Putting deet on your clothes immediately strips off any DWR, according to conversations I had with Sitka and First Lite. I also just got a nice pair of Crispi's and they also warned against it on their boots, as did Schnees and several others. All of them suggested getting gaiters and putting the spray on those instead. Yes, any DWR will be blown away, but Gortex and like fabrics are apparently immune, so they should still be waterproof.