Training vs hunting boots

I am going to be in the market for new boots, and I am trying to decide what to do. I could either buy a simple pair of hiking boots for UA for now and buy a nice pair of high end boots when I am closer to my elk hunt in 2020 or hold off a bit longer and buy the nice boots now in hopes that they would hold up enough through the next few years to hunt with in 2020. I live on flatland, so I don't need a true mountaineering boot to train. But, I don't know if it is worth the extra $150 that i would spend on cheaper boots to save a good pair for my hunt. Have any of you guys ever bought a pair of boots just to train and had a pair dedicated just to hunting?

Be gentle, I am new to hunting anything other than Texas and don't know how hard I'll be on boots in the mountains.

CaseyU

WKR
Hold off and buy the boots your hunting in. Practice like you play. Believe it or not obviously each boot breaks into your feet but your feet also slightly break into your boots. Get the ones your waiting for. Buy once cry once. Best of luck buddy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
For me I can get probably 5 years out of a good high end leather boot. My feet like the Lowa's. I have the EVO Extreme's currently. Fit me great.

Personally I would want to have around 50 to 100 miles on a pair of boots before taking them on a western hunt. This gives them a good break in so you know they will not cause you any issues in the back country.

Make sure to follow care instructions. Example cleaning them and leather conditioning. They will last a good while. And when you drop $300 to $400 on a pair of boots they need to last as long as possible.

Hope this helps.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Thanks, guys! I was leaning that way, but my penny pincher self hates the thought of dropping $300 on a pair of boots. I will probably try going to cabelas and trying out the miendl's before committing to buying online. If they don't work then I will just order from Black Ovis to capitalize on that 10% rockslide discount. 10% on a $300-$400 pair of boots ain't bad!

LaHunter

WKR
I use the Lowa Renegades for training and Lowa Tibets for hunting. I wore my Tibets hunting locally and just as normal footwear a lot during the winter prior to my first time using them for real to break them in. It is so hot during my summer training, I pour a fair amount of sweat out of my Renegades after each training hike. I don't want to wear out my Tibets training, so that's why I use the Renegades.

I am going to be in the market for new boots, and I am trying to decide what to do. I could either buy a simple pair of hiking boots for UA for now and buy a nice pair of high end boots when I am closer to my elk hunt in 2020 or hold off a bit longer and buy the nice boots now in hopes that they would hold up enough through the next few years to hunt with in 2020. I live on flatland, so I don't need a true mountaineering boot to train. But, I don't know if it is worth the extra $150 that i would spend on cheaper boots to save a good pair for my hunt. Have any of you guys ever bought a pair of boots just to train and had a pair dedicated just to hunting?

Be gentle, I am new to hunting anything other than Texas and don't know how hard I'll be on boots in the mountains.

Hold off, but best news is you have lots of time to shop. If you aren't in a hurry you can save hundreds by year end close outs/old inventory

I will throw out an idea...get a set of decent boots off of eBay for $50-75. Lots of good .mil surplus stuff like danner combat boots and stuff. Train with those and then get your high boots new boots before your hunt.

I am a flat lander as well and do some training on paved roads and other trails and dirt roads that don't require a lot of boot. I swap the cheapies in to save tread wear on the expensive boots.

I would say get your real boots early and put 50-100 miles on them at least to break them in and make sure they work for you.

wseidel

WKR
Gerard, definately save for a good pair of boots. A friend in Wyoming told me about Meindl boots back in 2010 and since that time I have purchased three different pairs over the years in the Cabela's Bargain Cave...at a substantial discount. I have the PERFEKT HUNTER, PERFEKT HIKER AND THE LIGHT HIKER (for everyday use). I train in the boots I'll hunt in but I always bear in mind that they only have a certain amount of miles in them...despite how well they wear. The Meindl's have been outstanding - best boot I've ever had on my feet in terms of comfort - but there are many other great boots out there - as mentioned on this forum. Find the best one for your feet and you'll never regret spending the money. Hope this helps...

Train in the same boots that you'll use for your hunting. If you buy a quality pair of boots they should last you for many years. The Scarpa's that I use for all my mountain hunts and pretty much all my training hikes/climbing, have been going strong since 2010 and I feel confident that I'll get several more years out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Thanks for all of the replies! Sounds like the consensus is to just get nicer boots since they'll hold up enough to train and hunt. I'm debating between the Crispi Dakota's, the Crispi Summit's, or the miendl Denali's. I guess I could always order whichever I settle on and return it if it doesn't work out. I don't like the thought of ordering shoes online, but with the BO return policy I don't think I'll have an issue.

Fwiw I like to train in a lighter less supportive shoe. I think it strengthens my feet and ankles more than if I had a taller supportive both on. I do sometimes wear ankle weights with the lighter shoes.
This is just personal theory.