Nikwax is garbage

IdahoElk

WKR
Just thought I'd warn people to not waste their money on this waterproofing,multiple coats lasted about an hour in the rain before my Crispi's became sponges.If other waterproof coatings cause the rand on these boots to slip then Crispi needs to use a different bonding process.
Just my 2 cents

Agree with Idaho Elk. Nikwax is the poorest waterproofer on boots of anything I have ever used. As durangobrad does, I use Sno Seal.......bought in a liter or qt size container.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
Obenauf's SuperDuty LP has always worked well for me.

That's what I've always used and liked BUT Crispi says it will cause the rand on their boots to separate.They need to figure out a better process for gluing their rand to leather.

With Nikwax my boots beaded water for no more than 10min before soaking in,4 hours later of hiking and my feet would have been drier in sandals,Garbage!

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the same experience with nikwax. After applying a heavy coat it will only bead water for a few minutes. My Crispi boots stay dry but the leather absorbs water. I'm still trying to find something better than nikwax.

Kotaman

WKR
Obenhaufs will destroy the rand bond. I speak from experience. Lathrop sells a product that will not hurt the rand. (Grangers Paste Wax)

I have had the same experience with nikwax. After applying a heavy coat it will only bead water for a few minutes. My Crispi boots stay dry but the leather absorbs water. I'm still trying to find something better than nikwax.

Grangers makes a DWR spray on. Wet boot out with it, once dry use Grangers paste wax. Hard to beat. I run hanwag yukons, so I don't have room for many mistakes

Daniel_M

WKR
X2 on the Kennetrek wax. I put 3 coats on before my sheep hunt. Over 30 miles, multiple river and run off crossings, several days slogging wet vegetation and zero water issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any of you used the Crispi waterproofing products? I would hope if there was a potential issue between materials and coatings they would have it figured out.

Akicita

WKR
I am always reluctant to give any advice on leather conditioning on forums as much as I am parenting advice but here I go. . . I will tell you that all my Gore-Tex lined leather boots get a regular washing every week of use with natural Marseille soap and a thorough rinse. If they are suede uppers or a combo of suede and synthetic I will spray a light coat of a reputable DWR and let air dry. If they are tanned leather uppers I will wash regularly with Marseille soap and rinse. I then rub a light coat of a quality all natural bees wax conditioner or natural Bear lard containing no petroleum products and let air dry. After drying I buff with a soft cloth.

I prefer Grangers DWR for suede and synthetic and Hestra Glove Balm or natural Bear lard for tanned leather. The key is to wash regularly and do not dry with a heat source.

jherald

WKR
Obenhaufs will destroy the rand bond. I speak from experience. Lathrop sells a product that will not hurt the rand. (Grangers Paste Wax)

I've used Obenaufs exclusively on my Lowa's and never had issues with the rands, through several pairs. I actually went to Obenaufs because I couldn't find anything that worked like I wanted. Which product were you using? I use the Heavy Duty LP.

TheTone

WKR
I've used Obenaufs on lots of boots over the years including 4 sets of Lowa's without an issue. That said I have heard of others having issues which I can't explain. Maybe I've just gotten lucky?