Nikwax is garbage

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised to read the poor rating of Nikwax... I just spent 9 days in Alaska and had no water issues. I was wearing Zamberlan 960's and I gave them a treatment of cleaner and waterproofing before heading out. I noticed that day 5 they started wetting out in a few areas but my feet remained dry. Maybe its the way the product is applied? I will continue using Nikwax, btw I love the wash in waterproofing for my DWR garments.

UtahJimmy

WKR
that may explain the rand issue on a pair of Meindl's I have,,,,,,,hhmmmmm

thanks

Obenhaufs may be an issue, BUT I think the rand separating is a manufacturing/design issue. I'm on my second pair of Meindl's and the rand is coming off again. It started to fail at the end of their first season. Midway through their second and it is getting much worse. I'll have to bear with it but I'll be exchanging at the end of the season. (first set made it 2 seasons as well)

Frustrating to have to break in a new pair of boots everyother season, but getting a new pair of boots for free isn't too bad. Just wish they would build them better!

Daniel_M

WKR
I'm surprised to read the poor rating of Nikwax... I just spent 9 days in Alaska and had no water issues.

Busting a lot of brush seems to deteriorate the NikWax much faster. I had previously used it on Kodiak with the exact same boots, it was "ok"...but nowhere near as good as the Kennetrek Wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
If it's an all leather Crispi we suggest using the Waterproofing Cream that Crispi makes. It not only waterproofs and conditions the leather but helps maintain breathability in the leather. Of course the leather should be clean before applying. Nikwax makes several varieties of waterproofing for different types of leather. The best would probably be the one designed for Nubuck leather. See a demonstration on how to clean and treat your boots here - Boot Care - YouTube

For the mostly Cordura boots you will want to use the Crispi Waterproofing spray if available. The Nikwax will work in a pinch as well.

twall13

WKR
I'm another happy user of Grangers Paste. When I bought some Crispi boots a couple of years ago before Crispi had their own waterproof cream, etc. Back then, Crispi recommended Grangers. I think the key is to always apply it to CLEAN boots. I haven't noticed a deterioration of the breath ability in my boots but I do clean them after every trip and then apply some Granger's paste. I actually use a Nikwax cleaner, but not their waterproofing stuff. My Crispi boots have kept my feet dry in some conditions that none of the cheaper boots I used in the past ever would have survived.

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I'll have to order some and try it out!

Busting a lot of brush seems to deteriorate the NikWax much faster. I had previously used it on Kodiak with the exact same boots, it was "ok"...but nowhere near as good as the Kennetrek Wax.

Kotaman

WKR
I've used Obenaufs exclusively on my Lowa's and never had issues with the rands, through several pairs. I actually went to Obenaufs because I couldn't find anything that worked like I wanted. Which product were you using? I use the Heavy Duty LP.

Obenhaufs ate the rand on my Lowa Bighorn Gtx. Lathrop attributed it to Obenhaufs. I have since used Grangers paste on my second pair and the rand is perfect after several hunts. That's good enough for me...

530Chukar

WKR
I just started using Montana Pitch Blend and have been happy so far. The real test will be in a week. I've used the Obenhaufs HD paste and oil on my woodland boots for 12 years now. I love the oil but stopped using the paste because it will continue to build up more and more after each application. The majority of buildup is in the seams and harbors dirt and everything else.

Ive used sno seal for the last 22 years on my leather firefighting boots and it works I've stood in water for quite some time and havent had any issues. I've allso used snoseal on all my worjboots my whole life at the ranch working cattle and wading through mud crap and slop and my boots dont leak. Snoseal seems to be the best thing that I have found that works. I genrally heat up the boot either outside in the sun or with a heat gun or hair dryer (Curt put them in your hot box !70ish) and then apply a very generous amount of sno seal and put back into hot box and let it soak in then I usally reapply anohter coat and itll last for a while.

Best of luck Curt

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm surprised to read the poor rating of Nikwax... I just spent 9 days in Alaska and had no water issues. I was wearing Zamberlan 960's and I gave them a treatment of cleaner and waterproofing before heading out. I noticed that day 5 they started wetting out in a few areas but my feet remained dry. Maybe its the way the product is applied? I will continue using Nikwax, btw I love the wash in waterproofing for my DWR garments.
Does the Nikwax leave a scent that you need to counter with scent spray or another method?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's what I've always used and liked BUT Crispi says it will cause the rand on their boots to separate.They need to figure out a better process for gluing their rand to leather.

With Nikwax my boots beaded water for no more than 10min before soaking in,4 hours later of hiking and my feet would have been drier in sandals,Garbage!
You realize that a lot of waterproofing treatments are petroleum based, right? This will separate the rand on a LOT of companies boots. I would ask Crispi what they recommend as they will know what is the best treatment for their boots. I doubt it's Crispis rand gluing process that's tome blame, and a lot of their models have stitched rands anyways.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You realize that a lot of waterproofing treatments are petroleum based, right? This will separate the rand on a LOT of companies boots. I would ask Crispi what they recommend as they will know what is the best treatment for their boots. I doubt it's Crispis rand gluing process that's tome blame, and a lot of their models have stitched rands anyways.

Crispi has their own waterproofing cream. Midway has it on sale right now for $13.99 (stock # 280173). It ships free with a $25 order, so I ordered two of them to get the free shipping.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR

I did ask Blackovis that sells Crispi what they recommend and they pointed me to Nikwax boot wax,this was last winter,I've used it religiously since and it just doesn't hold up compared to my Danners that only get Openaufs.
The Crispi boots are really nice and I'll try their boot dressing next.
I realize now the title to my post was a bit harsh and shouldn't have called it garbage.